The name verification bug

Post here to get help with using or setting up fCraft
Jonty800

The name verification bug

Post by Jonty800 »

So, as we all know there is a bit of a problem with name verification due to minecraft.net.
It seems the problem is that sometimes you connect and your name is lowercase, so fCraft will kick you because it fails the verification. (I remember this problem back in 0.53x when we had custom names manually programmed in, but sometimes didn't show because verification was turned off and the name was lowercase).

So, here is my question: If fCraft lets a player in, regardless of case sensitivity, what security risks would there be?
Surely the mppass would verify the name?

Also, as a little suggestion, maybe change the 'Cannot verify playername' message to

Code: Select all

Cannot verify playername
Re-login as CaSe SeNsItIvE
Thanks for your support.

Edit: Ugh nevermind, thinking further about this, its not possible. My suggestion remains though :P
You cannot use certain BBCodes: [img].

fragmer
fCraft Developer

Re: The name verification bug

Post by fragmer »

If you use the username string provided by the handshake packet, instead of PlayerDB's stored name, then this won't be a problem.

See r1441.

Jonty800

Re: The name verification bug

Post by Jonty800 »

I'm using r1555, but some people still get the verification error.

Pure2k (who runs Thundercraft) says that if a player connects to the server for the first time and receives the verification error, then the only way they can connect again is if their entry is removed from the PlayerDB manually. I'm not sure if this is a possible bug?
You cannot use certain BBCodes: [img].