Best phone?

Discuss everything technical here.
Kittle
OP

Best phone?

Post by Kittle »

Hey, I'm looking to get a new phone, I was wondering, which one should I buy?!

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Re: Best phone?

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Xperia
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

NOT AN APPLE PRODUCT unless you want to spend your time locked down and incompatible with everything non-apple based.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

There are IS a new line of windows phones. I have the Samsung Focus and I am quite impressed with it. It has an easy interface and everything the overpriced Iphone has without the hassle that comes with it.
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Windows phone are, ironically, not very compatible with anything in the smartphone world.

Get something with Android. Samsung seems like a good bet - they overtook Apple in the smartphone market as a hardware manufacturer and are generally doing very well.

I might be getting a Samsung tablet once they announce something with a Nvidia Tegra 3 SOC.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Lim-Dul wrote:Windows phone are, ironically, not very compatible with anything in the smartphone world.

Samsung seems like a good bet - they overtook Apple in the...
KingCrab wrote:There are IS a new line of windows phones. I have the Samsung Focus and I am quite impressed with it.
My Samsung Focus is a Windows Phone. I have no compatibility issues at all. Samsung makes one hell of a phone. My last three phones have been Samsung phones.

Also, I see you corrected my grammar. :wink:

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

I own a Samsung Galaxy S2. Lovely phone. Borrowed an iPhone 4S from a friend who works in the apple store here in dublin. No contest, Galaxy S2 blows it out of the water.
_Snivy_: is desosus a bot?

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

I have a galaxy rip off because I don't want to spend over $80 a month like some others do to have a galaxy/iPhone. I pay $30 a month, 0 up front of course, for an LG Optimus Black. It's a bit slower and has about 75% of the battery life, but it is a FAR better saving.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

Ollieboy wrote:I have a galaxy rip off because I don't want to spend over $80 a month like some others do to have a galaxy/iPhone. I pay $30 a month, 0 up front of course, for an LG Optimus Black. It's a bit slower and has about 75% of the battery life, but it is a FAR better saving.
Australia seems a bit more expensive than Ireland. I paid 100 euro for the phone up front and am on a 30 euro a month plan which gives me 300 minutes of calls, 300 texts and 2 GB of data a month.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Yeah Australia is pretty crap with this kinda stuff. I get $180 worth for my $30 a month plus 200MB data. I am paying the phone off with my monthly $30 bill though.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

Ollieboy wrote:Yeah Australia is pretty crap with this kinda stuff. I get $180 worth for my $30 a month plus 200MB data. I am paying the phone off with my monthly $30 bill though.
200MB seems awfully low for a smartphone. Do they have different plans for bricks and for smartphones?

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

They have specific ones but they are really expensive. I generally have wi-fi available most places so it's okay. 200MB is painfully low though. I could pay another $30 a month and get 2GB but I don't really need that at all.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

I have the same plan ollie does, with an experia mini pro. Also free wifi/hotspots everywhere, probably why internet is so expensive. I signed just before they made it even more expensive because nobody uses texts anymore, whatsapp instead.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Smokeybacon
Trustee

Post by Smokeybacon »

Sony Ericsson W810i still works fine after 5 years, don't plan to change it until it breaks. As far as i'm concerned it's the best phone in the world.
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: my dad is an arkansas goveren
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and iwe are suing skittles
[02:29] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and we may file a lawsuit against fcraft

Kittle
OP

Post by Kittle »

What do you guys think about the Nexus S?

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

KingCrab wrote:
Lim-Dul wrote:Windows phone are, ironically, not very compatible with anything in the smartphone world.

Samsung seems like a good bet - they overtook Apple in the...
KingCrab wrote:There are IS a new line of windows phones. I have the Samsung Focus and I am quite impressed with it.
My Samsung Focus is a Windows Phone. I have no compatibility issues at all. Samsung makes one hell of a phone. My last three phones have been Samsung phones.

Also, I see you corrected my grammar. :wink:
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. If you analyze my message semantically, I was recommending to get some Android-based phone, which you smartly deleted from the quotation. THEN, as a second criteria, something by Samsung. That your Samsung phone is running Windows is irrelevant since it fails the first criterion.
The days where you were choosing smartphones based on manufacturer rather than OS are over, which makes sense, since it's like buying a computer and all your hardware won't matter much if you put MS-DOS on it.

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Actually all I was saying was that Samsung did an excellent job with the phone itself with Windows as an operating system being an excellent choice in my opinion. I have had several friends with multiple problems with the android phones both with the phones themselves and connectivity issues to the internet when not within wi-fi range.

I apologize for the misleading wording. What I was attempting to say was that I have a Samsung phone that runs Windows as an OS with no problems. You said the Windows OS had its problems. You also recommended Samsung as a great brand which I agreed with by saying that my phone was one. That being said, he just had to decide whether he wanted a windows operating system or not based on both of our experiences with them.

If he doesn't want Windows as an OS, get some other Samsung phone than the Focus. But if he wants a Windows phone with a reliable brand then he should get a Samsung Focus. :wink:

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

You said the Windows OS had its problems.
No, I said Windows has, ironically, compatibility issues (caused by factors outside of the OS itself) because simply no one uses it, especially the devs. Few applications for it, the market share is abysmal and not really going up despite Microsoft trying its best (partnering up with Nokia! Well, Nokia had been making one bad decision after the other recently) and so on.
Windows Mobile is the Linux of the smartphone world (while Android runs on a Linux kernel :-D) - except without the open source thing. Actually perhaps it's more like a VMS of the smartphone world, with the difference that OpenVMS is a great system and dominates its market niche. ^^

Q3 2011 as of November

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

They are relatively new to the market as well. Now, we'll see if they fail horribly or succeed greatly.

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

Try to buy one that you can call people with.
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

Xesdra

Post by Xesdra »

Intertoothh wrote:Try to buy one that you can call people with.
No no, calling ability doesn't matter in a phone, it's all about APPS!
This post makes my post count increase by one!

meowimacat

Post by meowimacat »

iPhone is the best.

jxfuller

Post by jxfuller »

A tracfone is best...... well if you're like me it is.... I pay 7 or 8$ a month to use it. I talk about 15 minutes a month on the phone on average and about 25 texts a month. Far better for me than paying the $45 a month that I was paying.