It is currently October 22nd, 2018, 3:17 pm


All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 5:58 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 16th, 2012, 6:40 am
Posts: 21
Location: Australia.
Hello

I don't have the money to buy or build another computer so I was wondering if I could do something to my computer to make it run better. Currently I have to run Minecraft on the second highest fog level for it to run smoothly. My computer is not customizable so I can't do anything there but if I just add more RAM will that allow me to run Minecraft smoothly without fog?
Please don't tell me to buy another computer or get a desktop computer.

Here are my Laptop Specs:

Acer Aspire 5740
Intel Core i5 processor 430M
Intel HD Graphics Up to 1754 DVMT
15.6" HD LED LCD
4 GB Memory (RAM)
320 GB HDD
Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/n
6-cell Li-ion battery :happycreeper:

Thanks


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am 
Trustee
User avatar

Joined: May 23rd, 2011, 3:13 am
Posts: 2342
Location: Australia
Find the magical switch at the back of your laptop that says "Increase Minecraft performance". Switch it. Problem solved.

_________________
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 10:37 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 16th, 2012, 6:40 am
Posts: 21
Location: Australia.
OK, thanks Ollie. That really helped me out.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 11:28 am 
Trustee
User avatar

Joined: May 23rd, 2011, 3:13 am
Posts: 2342
Location: Australia
Buuuut really that means no there is nothing you can do short of things I'm sure you already tried like throwing more RAM at java and a defrag and all that. Please note that doesn't mean add more RAM to your laptop, it means assign a higher maximum to java.

Are you talking about SMP and if so, grab some performance mods like Optifine or something?

_________________
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 5:13 pm 
Trustee
User avatar

Joined: July 12th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Posts: 388
Location: South Australia.
Quote:
Intel HD Graphics Up to 1754 DVMT


That's your problem right there, Intel Graphics are not for any kind of gaming, they're cheap, slow and only designed to draw an image on the screen.
So. Please repeat after me: I will never buy a system with Intel Graphics again.
Stick with systems that have AMD or nVidia graphics, they will provide a much more enjoyable experience.

Now in regards to your ram. More ram will only make a difference if you are currently running out of ram.
Ram doesn't actually have any processing logic so it doesn't actually speed a PC up, but it does stop it from slowing down as accessing data from Ram is faster than a Hard Drive.

All is not lost however. You can try your hand at Optifine, some people have noticed some decent performance increases with using it.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249 ... -and-more/

_________________
Xecutioner91890: I wanna meet the owners that would be a dream !
<@hafnium> Fuck off


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 10:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 16th, 2012, 6:40 am
Posts: 21
Location: Australia.
Ollieboy wrote:
Buuuut really that means no there is nothing you can do short of things I'm sure you already tried like throwing more RAM at java and a defrag and all that. Please note that doesn't mean add more RAM to your laptop, it means assign a higher maximum to java.

Are you talking about SMP and if so, grab some performance mods like Optifine or something?
No I'm just talking about the free-build multiplayer server.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 10:21 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 16th, 2012, 6:40 am
Posts: 21
Location: Australia.
Pemalite wrote:
Quote:
Intel HD Graphics Up to 1754 DVMT


That's your problem right there, Intel Graphics are not for any kind of gaming, they're cheap, slow and only designed to draw an image on the screen.
So. Please repeat after me: I will never buy a system with Intel Graphics again.
Stick with systems that have AMD or nVidia graphics, they will provide a much more enjoyable experience.

Now in regards to your ram. More ram will only make a difference if you are currently running out of ram.
Ram doesn't actually have any processing logic so it doesn't actually speed a PC up, but it does stop it from slowing down as accessing data from Ram is faster than a Hard Drive.

All is not lost however. You can try your hand at Optifine, some people have noticed some decent performance increases with using it.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249 ... -and-more/

I will never buy a system with Intel Graphics again.
I'll download the Optifine right now then. :D


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 11:11 pm 
Trustee
User avatar

Joined: May 23rd, 2011, 3:13 am
Posts: 2342
Location: Australia
Optifine is only for SMP. There really isn't anything you can do to help freebuild. Integrated graphics are the downfall of most laptops, and why they are only designed for portable media and document processing in the most part.

So, buy a desktop computer if you want to play games properly.

_________________
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2012, 4:20 am 
OP
User avatar

Joined: February 9th, 2012, 2:09 pm
Posts: 151
S3AnD3 wrote:
Hello

I don't have the money to buy or build another computer so I was wondering if I could do something to my computer to make it run better. Currently I have to run Minecraft on the second highest fog level for it to run smoothly. My computer is not customizable so I can't do anything there but if I just add more RAM will that allow me to run Minecraft smoothly without fog?
Please don't tell me to buy another computer or get a desktop computer.

Here are my Laptop Specs:
blah blah blah

Thanks


Are you using World Of Minecraft, and if you are try putting it on Software render not hardware. solves allot of lag.

_________________
<+FCB>Arvarna: i think your banhammer needs a downgrade


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2012, 5:19 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 16th, 2012, 6:40 am
Posts: 21
Location: Australia.
LiamRayStanley wrote:
S3AnD3 wrote:
Hello

I don't have the money to buy or build another computer so I was wondering if I could do something to my computer to make it run better. Currently I have to run Minecraft on the second highest fog level for it to run smoothly. My computer is not customizable so I can't do anything there but if I just add more RAM will that allow me to run Minecraft smoothly without fog?
Please don't tell me to buy another computer or get a desktop computer.

Here are my Laptop Specs:
blah blah blah

Thanks


Are you using World Of Minecraft, and if you are try putting it on Software render not hardware. solves allot of lag.
Yeah I'm using World of Minecraft, how do I change it to Software render?


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2012, 10:16 pm 
SupOP

Joined: June 24th, 2011, 10:27 pm
Posts: 314
LiamRayStanley wrote:
Are you using World Of Minecraft, and if you are try putting it on Software render not hardware. solves allot of lag.


Hardware rendering is usually faster, and seeing as this is not a gaming laptop, I don't think it will really matter.


Ollieboy wrote:
Optifine is only for SMP. There really isn't anything you can do to help freebuild. Integrated graphics are the downfall of most laptops, and why they are only designed for portable media and document processing in the most part.

So, buy a desktop computer if you want to play games properly.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 4:34 am 
OP
User avatar

Joined: February 9th, 2012, 2:09 pm
Posts: 151
boblol0909 wrote:
Hardware rendering is usually faster, and seeing as this is not a gaming laptop.


there's your issue. when you don't have a good laptop, software render is the way to go. it also helps on my laptop, which makes it MUCH less laggy. if its a gaming computer would've it be hardware render but crappier computers would have software render? isn't that why they added it to that? i guess is don't understand.

EDIT: and aren't integrated graphics terrible?

_________________
<+FCB>Arvarna: i think your banhammer needs a downgrade


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 5:31 am 
Trustee
User avatar

Joined: July 12th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Posts: 388
Location: South Australia.
LiamRayStanley wrote:
boblol0909 wrote:
Hardware rendering is usually faster, and seeing as this is not a gaming laptop.


there's your issue. when you don't have a good laptop, software render is the way to go. it also helps on my laptop, which makes it MUCH less laggy. if its a gaming computer would've it be hardware render but crappier computers would have software render? isn't that why they added it to that? i guess is don't understand.

EDIT: and aren't integrated graphics terrible?


No, not all integrated graphics are terrible.

AMD Llano has the graphics chip integrated into the processor, but it's extremely respectable with performance around the level of a 6570~.
You can also drop in a Radeon 6670 and enable Crossfire with the integrated graphics, which will push performance to around the same level as a Radeon 6770 - 6790.

However, that's a desktop chip, but some laptop manufacturers have been doing it as well, the main benefit is how inexpensive they are for the performance.


The thing with Intel however is that over the past decade and a half they have been content in providing IGP's that pretty much only did the basics and even offloading some graphics processing
onto the CPU. For example take the GMA900, 910, 915, 950, 3150, 3100 and every variation in between and you will notice that it doesn't have vertex shaders or a dedicated TnL unit, so it has to offload those
functions onto the processor.
The end result is that the faster the processor... The faster your graphics, which in Intels eyes helped push more processor sales, but they are still marred by poor performance and compatibility.

Intels latest generation aka, Ivy Bridge's IGP has stepped up the performance game again with about a 60% performance improvement over Sandy bridge's IGP, but it's still slower than Llano and the drivers are still poor.
And chances are that the low-end chips IGP's will be castrated like with Sandy Bridge which could do with the beefier IGP as higher-end systems usually use dedicated graphics anyhow.

Conversely... As time goes on the GPU has been put to more use, these days it will accelerate the Windows GUI, Flash, video decoding, Web Browsers the works, I doubt this will change any time soon and in my
eyes, it's worth buying a system with a decent graphics chip to take advantage of that.

On the flip side, building a desktop is cheap, offers an upgrade path to more performance and ultimately even a "low-end" desktop will put most laptops to shame in the performance department.

_________________
Xecutioner91890: I wanna meet the owners that would be a dream !
<@hafnium> Fuck off


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 1:48 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 16th, 2012, 6:40 am
Posts: 21
Location: Australia.
LiamRayStanley wrote:
boblol0909 wrote:
Hardware rendering is usually faster, and seeing as this is not a gaming laptop.


there's your issue. when you don't have a good laptop, software render is the way to go. it also helps on my laptop, which makes it MUCH less laggy. if its a gaming computer would've it be hardware render but crappier computers would have software render? isn't that why they added it to that? i guess is don't understand.

EDIT: and aren't integrated graphics terrible?


Oh ok, but how do I actually switch it over to Software render?

Also, thank-you to everyone else for your helpful posts. :)


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 4:50 am 
Trustee
User avatar

Joined: July 12th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Posts: 388
Location: South Australia.
S3AnD3 wrote:
LiamRayStanley wrote:
boblol0909 wrote:
Hardware rendering is usually faster, and seeing as this is not a gaming laptop.


there's your issue. when you don't have a good laptop, software render is the way to go. it also helps on my laptop, which makes it MUCH less laggy. if its a gaming computer would've it be hardware render but crappier computers would have software render? isn't that why they added it to that? i guess is don't understand.

EDIT: and aren't integrated graphics terrible?


Oh ok, but how do I actually switch it over to Software render?

Also, thank-you to everyone else for your helpful posts. :)


http://www.worldofminecraft.com/content ... are-solved

You should really learn how to use google. :P

_________________
Xecutioner91890: I wanna meet the owners that would be a dream !
<@hafnium> Fuck off


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: How can I make my computer run Minecraft better?
PostPosted: April 27th, 2012, 9:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: February 22nd, 2012, 12:21 am
Posts: 18
Location: United States
-

_________________
[17:04] <FCB2> +SanjarKhan: !english Dankirk
[17:04] <Dankirk> Dankirk hasn't said anything recently.
[17:04] <FCB1> +SanjarKhan: bullshit


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net