PyroPyro's PC build adventures

Discuss everything technical here.
PyroPyro

PyroPyro's PC build adventures

Post by PyroPyro »

So yeah, i'm planning on getting some parts... All suggestions are welcome! Keep in mind that my budget is limited (less then 400€ ~$500), due to that i wont be getting ANY DVD/BR drives, HDDs or a case.

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X4 965 3.40GHz
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-780T-D3L
RAM: 2x4GB 1600Mhz Exceleram RedCulvert CL9
GPU: AMD Radeon 6850 MSI OC 8cm fan
PSU: ThermalTake Litepower 500W

Thank you Pemalite!

Parts that i have so far:
2 x SATA1 500gb HDDs
1 x SATA2 16GB SDD
1 x DVD-Rom, it reads DVD's all i need.
1 x Shoe box.

- I can't buy stuff from internet.
- I can only buy stuff that's in my city.
- I don't want a Intel CPU.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Re: PyroPyro's noob PC build

Post by Sanjar Khan »

How about spending double on your motherboard and get something that allows for more upgrades in the future? The Asus you picked now is something like fifty euros right? Asus evo's are all near a hundred. I believe that when it comes to picking motherboards you should get something that exceeds your minimum requirements
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

PyroPyro

Post by PyroPyro »

Sanjar Khan wrote:How about spending double on your motherboard and get something that allows for more upgrades in the future? The Asus you picked now is something like fifty euros right? Asus evo's are all near a hundred. I believe that when it comes to picking motherboards you should get something that exceeds your minimum requirements
Well, true... but then i need to lose 50euros of something like GPU... and that's not a good thing.

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

Maybe downgrade the PSU/PROC.

Its worth investing a bit in your mobo.
I can still upgrade my memory/proc/gpu and other stuff.

So if my PC doesnt fit my requirements anymore, i just upgrade whats needed.
Instead of that, and a new mobo becouse it was allready on its limits.

Altho my mobo wasnt realy cheap.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4
My build only new ssd and less video cards becouse of overheating problems atm.
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

PyroPyro

Post by PyroPyro »

well what do i need on the mobo better chipset? PSU is the cheepest branded one that i can find...

Trepvalkyrie

Post by Trepvalkyrie »

:o

You're in luck Pyro.

I upgraded 2 weeks ago with the exact same CPU and GPU. I used an old cooler i had lying around from my bros old PC to overclock the CPU to 4.0 gHz and it runs nice and stable unlike my old CPU. Don't worry about whether or not the GPU is good, I can attest that it is very nice for someone who doesn't have much to spend. I was skeptical at first because I was pretty much:

wtf... why is there pretty much a card with a fan plonked on top with no random branded plastic? Why is it 30 quid cheaper than other 6850s?

It sure doesn't look the part but so far so good, GPU runs at 70 degrees tops under load and 50-55 degrees idle, and runs pretty much everything I have at the max. If you are looking at the long term then maybe bump up that PSU and mobo but if you're gonna get completely new stuff every time then it's not important.

I cannot stress how important it is to have a decent PSU. It prevents much undesired fire, smoke, and melted wires :D

Seems like an OK build.

PyroPyro

Post by PyroPyro »

Thanks for the input!

I'm not sure how good of a idea is that MSI GPU just looks silly with that fan... and i will look in to getting a better mobo, will update my post.

Update:
I found 2 Cards that i can buy...
GeForce GTX560 MSI TwinFan and PowerColor HD6850 1GB GDDR5 , PowerColor is cheeper then the MSI one... i'm not sure if its better... and the GeForce GTX560 MSI TwinFan costs the same as AMD Radeon 6850 MSI OC 8cm fan. I'm not sure what to do and i need to pick fast, since i will get like 10% off if i order in next 1-2 days.

Allie

Post by Allie »

I've heard so many good things about the GTX 560 and benchmarks suggest it's faster than the 6850, so if they're pretty close in price, I'd go with that one.

<CMB> KingCrab72: Some mixture and contrast would be nice tbh Ollie
<Ollieboy> Some mixture and contrast of your face on my penis would also be nice

PyroPyro

Post by PyroPyro »

Astelyn wrote:I've heard so many good things about the GTX 560 and benchmarks suggest it's faster than the 6850, so if they're pretty close in price, I'd go with that one.
Well, its not that TI version... but yeah its costs the same as the MSI's 6850. Pemalite suggested 6850 so im not sure what to do.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

I have a club radeon 6850. Works fine.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

Sapphire HD 4850... but it runs everthing... once i put the other 2 back in.
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

Pemalite
Trustee

Post by Pemalite »

Pyro. You need a different motherboard, Yes it's a black socket AM3+ board so it supports AMD FX, Phenom 2 and Athlon 2 and probably the upcoming "Enhanced" Bulldozer aka, Piledriver, But it only supports processors up to 95W TDP, which counts out that Phenom 2 you chose, it may still function, but you would be placing the motherboards power components under load, compounded by the fact the Mosfets/VRM's have no heatsink.

I reckon Pyro could go with a slower GPU to be honest, she isn't even gaming at 720P... Anything more than a Radeon 5770/6770/7770/Geforce 460/560SE is a waste and all those cards cream 720P as it is.
Hell the 5770 can do Battlefield 3 (Possibly the most demanding game?) At 720P with all settings on max and get 40 - 60 fps, I would use the money saved on a better motherboard with higher processor TDP support and at-least 2x PCI-E 8x slots for Dual GPU as a future upgrade option; if you pick up another card cheap in a few years.

With that said, MSI make terrific cards, some of the most reliable GPU's with the best overclocks come from MSI because they use top shelf components to make them, same goes with MSI motherboards.
Sapphire on the other hand make allot of the reference design cards for AMD that other companies then buy and brand as there own during the launch of new chips, so they have to be reliable.
Xecutioner91890: I wanna meet the owners that would be a dream !
<@hafnium> Fuck off

PyroPyro

Post by PyroPyro »

Thanks guys!
I'm looking in to new mobos atm, i cant find any 2x PCI-E 8x that are cheeps so ill stick to single GPU in the future. About the GPU, MSI 6850 and GTX 560 cost the same so i just need to pick one. I will get a better monitor for free so i don't have to play games in 720p. So for now i need to pick a GPU since they cost the same, should i get 6850 or GTX 560 (both are MSI)?

Bloody_Llama
Trustee

Post by Bloody_Llama »

Pemalite wrote:Pyro.

I reckon Pyro could go with a slower GPU to be honest, she isn't even gaming at 720P... Anything more than a Radeon 5770/6770/7770/Geforce 460/560SE is a waste and all those cards cream 720P as it is.
Hell the 5770 can do Battlefield 3 (Possibly the most demanding game?) At 720P with all settings on max and get 40 - 60 fps, I would use the money saved on a better motherboard with higher processor TDP support and at-least 2x PCI-E 8x slots for Dual GPU as a future upgrade option; if you pick up another card cheap in a few years.
5770 is getting hard to find these days. 6770 is still fairly easy to find and performs pretty much the same at the same price point.
PyroPyro wrote:Thanks guys!
I'm looking in to new mobos atm, i cant find any 2x PCI-E 8x that are cheeps so ill stick to single GPU in the future. About the GPU, MSI 6850 and GTX 560 cost the same so i just need to pick one. I will get a better monitor for free so i don't have to play games in 720p. So for now i need to pick a GPU since they cost the same, should i get 6850 or GTX 560 (both are MSI)?
Nvidia tends to have better drivers, and comes out with driver fixes faster than AMD does. Also FXAA is rather nice, it's a lot cheaper FPS wise than normal AA.
<FCB2> trevbev94: who made the perimid out of saind cause that is ausom
<FCB2> Pemalite+: druffin. 'cmere big boy for some lovin'

Pemalite
Trustee

Post by Pemalite »

AMD also has Morphological Anti-Aliasing, which will anti-alias even 2D sprites and is incredibly cheap. (It's essentially a Post-Process filter)

As for drivers, I run Dual-GPU's, on a new Architecture (Radeon 7970) in Eyefinity and never encountered an issue, it's not your basic everyday set-up so if the drivers were really as bad as people claimed, I should be the first to know!
If you wan't bad drivers, look no farther than Intel, they even have a games compatibility list on the website to see if you can run games on their IGP's.

Pyro had a choice between the MSI Radeon 6850 and MSI Geforce 560 SE, Yes, SE. It's a castrated Geforce 560 which makes it slower than the Radeon 6850, it's a no brainer choice when Pyro doesn't upgrade for years at a time and needs the best price/performance she can get.
<@hafnium> Fuck off

PyroPyro

Post by PyroPyro »

After few days of waiting... all parts have arrived!
I put the whole thing together and installed the OS in around 1h, i had some problems with the case (it was missing the stands for the mobo, dont buy cheep cases).

I'm quite happy how its working (Skyrim on High runs 50FPS)... but i have a problem... the stock CPU fan is loud AS HELL. By loud i mean its louder then my 15w speakers. I know that the stock fans are not the best things, but it doesn't go below 4500RPM even when the CPU is running at 40C i have AMD's qool and quiet enabled in bios (set to auto) the CPU downclocks to 800mhz when not under load... When i try playing Skyrim the fan goes to 7000RPM! Since i blow all my money i cant buy a replacement fan... Any ideas how to make it run less loud? (Fan controllers like SpeedFan and O.H.M.? Disabling C n' Q?)
I just found this Alpine 64 PRO Rev.2 for 20 euros, but i would love to fix this without getting it, since i'm short with money anyway.
Nvm, my CPU isn't on the compatibility list.
Thank you!

Bloody_Llama
Trustee

Re: PyroPyro's PC build adventures

Post by Bloody_Llama »

As far as replacement fans, I'm a big fan of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... %20SILENCE

I've found it in local stores (Frys and Microcenter) for as low as $20, it's quiet as hell, and cools pretty decently.

I've found lots of nice information here in the past.
<FCB2> trevbev94: who made the perimid out of saind cause that is ausom
<FCB2> Pemalite+: druffin. 'cmere big boy for some lovin'

PyroPyro

Post by PyroPyro »

Bloody_Llama wrote:As far as replacement fans, I'm a big fan of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... %20SILENCE

I've found it in local stores (Frys and Microcenter) for as low as $20, it's quiet as hell, and cools pretty decently.

I've found lots of nice information here in the past.
Thanks, those post are helpfull only problem is that i cant find ANY of those coolers here...
all i found in local shops are those Alpine 64 PRO Rev.2, Spire CoolReef Pro and this one Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO. There are some other non-branded cheep ones but they look worse then the stock cooler...

Pemalite
Trustee

Post by Pemalite »

What about the Cooler Master Hyper 212+?

It's great value, not on the same cooling level as say... A Noctua. But still great.

But yes, stock AMD fans are all loud on the 125w models, You should be able to find a setting so that it ramps up when it hits a certain temperature like 40-45'c.
And keep in mind not to let the chip go over 61'c as that's the limit outlined in AMD's white paper.

Edit: The setting you're looking for is: "CPU Smart fan control" in the BIOS, Then you can adjust the fan speed with the EasyTune utility.
<@hafnium> Fuck off

PyroPyro

Post by PyroPyro »

Pemalite wrote:What about the Cooler Master Hyper 212+?

It's great value, not on the same cooling level as say... A Noctua. But still great.

But yes, stock AMD fans are all loud on the 125w models, You should be able to find a setting so that it ramps up when it hits a certain temperature like 40-45'c.
And keep in mind not to let the chip go over 61'c as that's the limit outlined in AMD's white paper.

Edit: The setting you're looking for is: "CPU Smart fan control" in the BIOS, Then you can adjust the fan speed with the EasyTune utility.
EasyTune didnt do much, so im looking in to getting a new cooler... I cant get the 212+ but i can get a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO its the same cooler just with 3 heat pipes, will it make less noise and will it be able to cool this thing?

Edit: 212 cant even fit in my case.

Pemalite
Trustee

Post by Pemalite »

Almost any aftermarket cooler, cools better and is quieter than the stock AMD fans, the EVO should be a noticeable upgrade regardless.

Also... Because it's a tower cooler. Check to see if it clears your ram and if it will fit in the case.
<@hafnium> Fuck off