Giving /mute to veterans

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!
tylerthecreator5

Giving /mute to veterans

Post by tylerthecreator5 »

i think /mute should be given to vets cuz there are sometimes where there are no ops+ and people spam chat like today couple min ago there was a spammer and we had to get an op online which is why i think /mute should be given to veterans thanks for your time
:D :D :D
Lololol now you know i've wasted your time

aliknes
OP

Re: a suggestion

Post by aliknes »

What thats a not a good idea we dont want more demotions bc i think there will be mute abuse between u veterans just saying thats my opinion. :skeleton:
+Hit_Girl: I wonder..
+Hit_Girl: if I can kick you
+Hit_Girl: I mean, kick, pyro
+PyroPyro: u cant
+PyroPyro: im pyro
+PyroPyro was kicked by +Hit_Girl: ORLY
Player +PyroPyro left the server.
Shintengin: lol
+Hit_Girl: o_o

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

tylerthecreator5 wrote:i think /mute should be given to vets cuz there are sometimes where there are no ops+ and people spam chat like today couple min ago there was a spammer and we had to get an op online which is why i think /mute should be given to veterans thanks for your time
:D :D :D
I will not give /mute to someone who types like that thank you very much.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

tylerthecreator5

Post by tylerthecreator5 »

type like what sanjar??
Lololol now you know i've wasted your time

boblol0909
SupOP

Post by boblol0909 »

tylerthecreator5 wrote:type like what sanjar??
He was referring to your lack of punctuation and grammar.

ABadAnimator
SupOP

Post by ABadAnimator »

Back when I was veterinarian, I remember that vets had the ability to use both /mute and /patrol (I know you were only suggesting /mute, although I just feel like adding in /patrol). However vets have constantly abused the "/mute" command. Those with the "/mute" command were able to mute people of the same rank and I would constantly see other vets muting themselves or muting me for no reason and in some cases; not unmuting even if it was just a joke. I do know that now people can only mute lower ranks (not equivalent or higher) although when it was available to vets, they were muting people without actual reasons. There may have been some vets at the time who were using it properly, but I don't remember any specific examples.

**This is not to insult any or all veterans, just felt like throwing this out there**

Also I apologize if I some how derailed this topic and/or if it sounds like I'm having the final say or anything. Which I don't.

I just wanted to add in what I remembered back when I was vet to this discussion :) .
200419110 wrote:ohmyfuckingod im one person chill your tits

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

ABadAnimator wrote:Back when I was veterinarian
Poor animals.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

Speaking of /patrol, I do want that for vet+.

Speaking of /mute, I don't actually want that, I'm crap enough at responsibility
Bloody_Llama wrote:Portals are like flavored condoms: an interesting idea, but not something you ever actually want to use in practice.
0_o
Ollieboy wrote:The taste runs out really quickly, and then your just stuck sucking on a bit of rubber around a banana.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

barrowboyjames wrote:Speaking of /patrol, I do want that for vet+.
We don't

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

Then create your own server and make it Vet+.

Seems like you're demanding also, rather than suggesting.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

KingCrab

Re: Giving /mute to veterans

Post by KingCrab »

Not a vets job to actually patrol. Catch the occasional griefer, yes. Go looking for griefers, no.
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Wundsalz
Trustee

Post by Wundsalz »

KingCrab wrote:Not a vets job to actually patrol. Catch the occasional griefer, yes. Go looking for griefers, no.
Is that actually intended? De facto a majority of vets focus on patroling and alot of vets are doing it well. The maiworld would probably consist of some random blocks floating in the air if they didn't bother to moderate.

regarding /mute for vets: There have been some occasions where some people were intensively communicating via some ugabugalesian language and no Op+ was around... one of those talks was followed by an discussion about invalid kick reasons :twisted:. Tbh I don't see a reason why not to give Vets /mute - it's a rather weak command compared to other moderation tools they have access to (/ban).
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

DreamingInsane wrote:
Then create your own server and make it Vet+.

Seems like you're demanding also, rather than suggesting.
Sorry 'bout that, didn't mean it to look like I was demanding it
Bloody_Llama wrote:Portals are like flavored condoms: an interesting idea, but not something you ever actually want to use in practice.
0_o
Ollieboy wrote:The taste runs out really quickly, and then your just stuck sucking on a bit of rubber around a banana.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Wundsalz wrote:
KingCrab wrote:Not a vets job to actually patrol. Catch the occasional griefer, yes. Go looking for griefers, no.
Is that actually intended? De facto a majority of vets focus on patroling and alot of vets are doing it well. The maiworld would probably consist of some random blocks floating in the air if they didn't bother to moderate.

regarding /mute for vets: There have been some occasions where some people were intensively communicating via some ugabugalesian language and no Op+ was around... one of those talks was followed by an discussion about invalid kick reasons :twisted:. Tbh I don't see a reason why not to give Vets /mute - it's a rather weak command compared to other moderation tools they have access to (/ban).
Believe me, it did not work out.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Because if we give them that, they would get all other moderation commands. All the commands are under permission nodes. Think of them as groups, and vets have the basic form of it, and ops have the rest. We do not want to turn veteran into op.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

Ollieboy wrote:Because if we give them that, they would get all other moderation commands. All the commands are under permission nodes. Think of them as groups, and vets have the basic form of it, and ops have the rest. We do not want to turn veteran into op.
Good point, I don't patrol often enough for the advanced commands, and neither do most of the others. Veteran demotions are common enough!
0_o

cdferg
Trustee

Post by cdferg »

I probably use /pat once a week, or on special occasions. I don't see why people get so excited about it, tbh.
doberman411: I now know that I feel a bit of relief every time the landing gear of my plane lifts off of the runway knowing that I'm one step closer to freedom.

Wundsalz
Trustee

Post by Wundsalz »

Ollieboy wrote:Because if we give them that, they would get all other moderation commands. All the commands are under permission nodes. Think of them as groups, and vets have the basic form of it, and ops have the rest. We do not want to turn veteran into op.
*sigh*
those nodes are an annoying design flaw of fcraft.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

I don't get why Veterans just appreciate what they have.

They have their own worlds(veteranxx) to build in, they at least have freeze, kick, and ban.
A good draw limit for drawing penises.

And you guys got brushes now thanks to fragmer. Why do you keep asking for more? :<
~ Edgar Allan Poe

boblol0909
SupOP

Post by boblol0909 »

Wundsalz wrote:
*sigh*
those nodes are an annoying design flaw of fcraft.
Then why dont you go design your own server software. I think they're great, otherwise you would have to set permissions for every single command, which is a lot.
DreamingInsane wrote:And you guys got brushes now thanks to fragmer. Why do you keep asking for more? :<
ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

00:35 FCB2 Pavoneo: I love raping children<3.

Scrathy
Trustee

Post by Scrathy »

The people who complain about everything usually don't last long on the server.

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Learn to walk before you run.

If you are a good moderator without all the advanced commands, you will be an even better one as an OP (if you choose this path). Veterans are a "junction" rank so they get a bit of both worlds to decide what they like doing best but no change in command availability will be made. It's enough that they are able to kick and ban.

I have also questioned the usefulness of the /mute command in the past and while fragmer finally gave in due to popular demand and fCraft being used by many different administrators with different philosophies, to me EVERY instance in which you'd have to /mute a player could and SHOULD be resolved with a kick instead. /mute serves no purpose apart from letting the player stay on the server and rage even more that he/she had been muted, opening the doors for physical griefing with absolutely minimal "moderation" benefits.

Following this path leads to even more aberrations like "prisoner" ranks or the recently suggested /ghost command.

As a long time moderator/administrator across multiple games and genres I strongly believe that the only tools you need are kicks and bans and probably a way to demonstrate your admin status to underline your authority (colored text/nicknames and such). Everything else is just icing on the cake or plainly redundant - apart from /freeze, which I may have opposed in the future but which I agree is excellent in the context of Minecraft with "speedhacks" and the constant drop-in-drop-out sandbox mode that makes for gameplay (you just need to get the players attention and make him/her listen for a moment while they can't continue what they were doing =).

P.S. It really isn't that much of a permission nodes issue as it is an ideological one.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

Scrathy wrote:The people who complain about everything usually don't last long on the server.
True, but I'm not complaining, I love /brush! 'Tis the best command in my opinion. I'm just saying it's a good idea, not making a statement that we don't have enough commands
0_o

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

barrowboyjames wrote:
Scrathy wrote:The people who complain about everything usually don't last long on the server.
True, but I'm not complaining, I love /brush! 'Tis the best command in my opinion. I'm just saying it's a good idea, not making a statement that we don't have enough commands
Don't have enough commands?

What more do you want? Veteran is decent enough as is.
like Lim_Dul said, the rank gives the best of both sides.
~ Edgar Allan Poe

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

Exactly what I'm saying!
0_o

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

barrowboyjames wrote:Exactly what I'm saying!
Derp, I just realized.
~ Edgar Allan Poe

xN8Gx

Post by xN8Gx »

This is just my two cents here, and I know I'm still new to being vet, but there are times I'd rather be able to just mute somebody then have to worry about getting demoted because some troll kept posting every stupid thing he could think of and the kick command looked a little too tempting. I can definitely see some vets abusing this to mess with each other, but there are times it would seriously come in handy for when there isn't an op+ online.

Like earlier today, we had two trolls (AmericanVita and Aus-something or other) who decided every stupid thought they had in their head, along with some of the occasional letters, was chat-worthy, and since no op was around, we had to deal with that while trying to talk to guests who needed help or dealing with griefers. Needless to say, after about 10 minutes of that, I couldn't have been happier to have a kick command. But my main issue with whether or not vets should have mute is if we can't have it (like now), I don't want to have to worry about possibly getting demoted over kicking a stupid troll.

xN8Gx
Last edited by xN8Gx on September 14th, 2011, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
[12:43] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You are the sexiest chick ever.
[12:44] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You so sexy. I wanna touch and stroke your luscious beautifull hair like it was my own and hear you purr.

cdferg
Trustee

Post by cdferg »

If you've warned someone to stop trolling repeatedly, then it's okay to kick them. Trolling is a form of griefing, and is not tolerated.
doberman411: I now know that I feel a bit of relief every time the landing gear of my plane lifts off of the runway knowing that I'm one step closer to freedom.

xN8Gx

Post by xN8Gx »

Oh. Well in that case, I don't really care if vets have mute. I mean, it would help to shut trolls up when no ops are on, but it's not something I need.
[12:43] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You are the sexiest chick ever.
[12:44] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You so sexy. I wanna touch and stroke your luscious beautifull hair like it was my own and hear you purr.

matic0basle

Post by matic0basle »

i agree