Whitelisting.

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!
TheBeardmaster
SupOP

Whitelisting.

Post by TheBeardmaster »

I'd imagine there's probably a reason we've never whitelisted build access on SMP, but I think it may be time to give it a trial, at least. Zoning can only protect so much...

One suggestion I had for whitelisting is use Freebuild as a springboard for those who want to play SMP. If they get along well on FB, don't cause any problems, etc, then we give them access to SMP? Could be a good way to weed out griefers before they get access to our phat SMP lewtz.

Okay, well, that's my two cents.
So apparently some people made a movie about me....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGWmUPuvlso

DreamingInsane
Owner

Re: Whitelisting.

Post by DreamingInsane »

I believe It's right at the edge of turning into Bukkit, Is this really an emergency?
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Yeah we haven't bothered because this was a trial map, testing our hardware, which has come good so maybe next weekend-ish there will be a brand new map with a billion plugins that will thwart griefers.

For the love of god, I'm using this post to rant;

SEARCH FOR SMP and you will find COUNTLESS threads telling you the same thing.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Just as a heads-up: I'm utterly opposed towards anything that would be non-open to all community members.

Well - if you say whitelisting would PROTECT community members then lemme rephrase that - I'm utterly opposed towards hosting anything that couldn't ever be the source of new interesting members of our community because they couldn't get there by accident, only if they were aware of fCraft.net already.

If we have problems with new players messing up our stuff we will try to find a solution - but security by obscurity is a concept I will never endorse.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

TheBeardmaster
SupOP

Post by TheBeardmaster »

Thanks for the response, Lim. As for you other two chuckleheads, my suggestion wasn't just because of the temporary map griefing, I thought it would be good regardless of temporary map or permanent, as a way of keeping track of who we let in. Upon further refining of my thoughts, I can see what you mean in the SMP idea limiting new potential players, and you might be right.

I still think that whitelisting can be a useful tool in making sure we know who exactly is accessing our server, even if it acts only in that capacity and we let anyone in as soon as they ask for access. I can see how I'm in the minority here, so I'll let it drop. Sorry.
So apparently some people made a movie about me....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGWmUPuvlso

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

I was only pissed because I came straight out of reading NinjaWolfs genious and well constructed post about the same thing.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

cdferg
Trustee

Post by cdferg »

Ollieboy wrote:I was only pissed because I came straight out of reading NinjaWolfs genious and well constructed post about the same thing.
I LOLED SO HARD :lol:
doberman411: I now know that I feel a bit of relief every time the landing gear of my plane lifts off of the runway knowing that I'm one step closer to freedom.

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

cdferg wrote:
Ollieboy wrote:I was only pissed because I came straight out of reading NinjaWolfs genious and well constructed post about the same thing.
I LOLED SO HARD :lol:
I rofl'ed my waffles.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

What we do on freebuild is essentially whitelisting, but in a way that lets people find us and join in. I don't see how we can pull the same off for SMP, however. We'd have to limit lower ranks to building in a certain area, and that would just suck. :happyskeleton:
The first law of thermodynamics states that you don't discuss thermodynamics.