Teachers guidebook.

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!
Hey_Blinkin

Teachers guidebook.

Post by Hey_Blinkin »

I came into a situation where some one was taught half of commands not knowing what he has learned or what he has. So I was wondering if there was or should be certain steps that everyone should follow that way we know where the last teacher left off. Also with that said, I believe that a Vet+ should be the one teaching and not another builder. Not to offend them its just that they have more experience with commands.

Here is what I thought would be a good start for a teachers guidebook.

1st of all we should start of with the rules and not the build commands.
All of the rules as you know are listed on the rules side of the Forum. Thank you Astelyn for that.
I want to add to the rules that you should not build in main.

So here is what I think the order should be just for simplicity of it and how it can transition from one to the other.

/lava and water
/line
/undo and /c air
/c (along with using /mark)
/ch
/cw
/e
/eh
/sp
/sph
/p (have them paint a 1x5x5 typle cupboid in random areas) this will set up copy paste
/replace (also using previous painted cuboid)
/copy (and all the commands that come with it rotate and mirror)
/paste and pastenot
/tp
/kick

Feel free to add anything and again this is just a suggestion to help every one stay on the same page.
Did you say Abe Lincoln?

DreamingInsane
Owner

Re: Teachers guidebook.

Post by DreamingInsane »

I'll like to add, If the person you promoted says they have to go instantly after you promote them, or they refuse to be taught, Simply demote them. No one, I mean no one, goes without being taught.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Xesdra

Post by Xesdra »

DreamingInsane wrote:I'll like to add, If the person you promoted says they have to go instantly after you promote them, or they refuse to be taught, Simply demote them. No one, I mean no one, goes without being taught.
I need a lesson.
This post makes my post count increase by one!

jxfuller

Post by jxfuller »

I think it would take too much time to teach them all (sometimes just no one has the time to do it). I think it's better just to show the basics, but really emphasize more the things they shouldn't do.... such as moderate, except under certain circumstances, or use cuboid commands on main and etc and really emphasize the consequence (demotion)...... because that is what is more of a problem with builders than anything.

A number of teachers already do this, however, some additional stuff that could be added:

If a builder is really interested in building epic stuff, they will figure out the commands over time, like I did. However, it might be good for teachers to also emphasize during school the command "/help commands" , so they can see all the commands.... I don't believe the rank info for builders shows all the commands they can use (maybe fix it so it does). Or perhaps put ALL the commands available to them in the school signs.

The "/help commands" is where I learned all the commands I could do by trying them out.

(things like /rotate , /mirror /pastenot blockname , /copy blockname, /replace (sometimes taught) , are things never taught.)

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

I do not cover all the build commands. I value rules more.
And the Build commands they can figure out themselfs once pointed to the right direction.

I'll start my lessons with the URLS. that they MUST read those.
Also state there is more info there about build commands.
I learn them the basics of using build commands, and the /undo.
And i tell them NOT to do them on main.
Last i do is the /kick. With the big warnings and stopsigns arround it.
And then i forget to tell them the /tp, and still show them how that works.
Then i welcome them to the team, and point them again to the websites.
And if they have any questions they can allwase ask.

We are training builders, not architects.
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

Fehzor
Trustee

Post by Fehzor »

I find that they don't want or need to be taught everything.

I gennerally teach them first the 3 rules-
1.Don't abuse commands, such as /sphere or /c, only use them to build.
2.Don't do anything else bad, like random tunneling, spleefing, griefing, or otherwise assaulting people in any way.
3.Should you choose to help out on main, don't look for people to kick, unless there is a lack of active authority on, meaning at most 1 op who is doing stuff on a full server. The only time you should use /kick as builder is if they either start attacking you, and you've warned them, or if there is a lack of management.

I then tell them what a draw command is, and how to undo it, and add water/lava/air/grass to it, as well as how to bind keys with /water or /lava. And lastly, what that there are more of these commands, and that they can test them out on the school map, how they can get there (and other worlds), and that /help is a good command for anything else. And /tp.

Though I'm making a new school map, based on the game portal, that teaches all the draw commands in a sort of obstacle course. It has a good number of puzzles, that require the player to perform commands written on the wall to pass through, in no particular order. Eventually, it will be zoned and made buildable only by owner, so that any supop/architect can /c air the entire map to reset all of the puzzles (except /c air, that is). Anyone who wants to is welcome to help, as long as you can stick to the theme, closely.

Hey_Blinkin

Post by Hey_Blinkin »

Yeah fehz jobs and I were running tfrough it. It was fun.
Did you say Abe Lincoln?

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

DreamingInsane wrote:I'll like to add, If the person you promoted says they have to go instantly after you promote them, or they refuse to be taught, Simply demote them. No one, I mean no one, goes without being taught.
Guess what I did! Not my fault, I waited 2 hours for build check and it was 3am by then!
Bloody_Llama wrote:Portals are like flavored condoms: an interesting idea, but not something you ever actually want to use in practice.
0_o
Ollieboy wrote:The taste runs out really quickly, and then your just stuck sucking on a bit of rubber around a banana.