Granting Vet /specpatrol ability

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!
Shreebz
OP

Granting Vet /specpatrol ability

Post by Shreebz »

Moved from Software Suggestions.

/specpatrol is a pretty powerful command for patrolling. I believe, it'd be beneficial to the server to grant Veterans the /specpatrol command. First I'd like to delineate my position here.

1. It's understood that time being a Vet is short. Most tend to become Op, Mason, or leave. But during this time, especially for those aspiring to be an Op (including myself), there is a lot of patrolling done. From my experience, since Vet is a larger population than Op, more Vets are likely to be online. When online, they are more likely to patrol. Point is, vets contribute a large amount of time to patrolling guests.

2. Since most Vets contribute to the patrol effort, it seems logical to give them the ability to /specpatrol, seeing /specpatrol as a more efficient way to patrol.

3. It's also understood that Vet's have not been promoted manually, so there is no personalization to their position, they are just Vets. Since vets are Auto Ranked, there isn't any way of knowing if Vets can be trusted. This trust issue may come into debate with granting Vets the ability to /specpatrol. But, /specpatrol would be hard to abuse. So in my opinion, even if you can't trust the Vet community, /specpatrol couldn't be abused.

4. Giving Vets /specpatrol does no harm, and only helps the patrol effort. The only downside to granting Vets the ability to /specpatrol, is that it lessens the power of the staff. But since the staff is less likely to be online, (and from experience, sometimes staff is short) extending the power of /specpatrol down to Vets, would essentially increase the amount of people patrolling, efficiently. Therefore, creating a better enviornment for guests on this server.

Shreebz
"Beauty is only a light switch away"

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Re: Granting Vet /specpatrol ability

Post by Sanjar Khan »

what on earth is specpatrol
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

OP

Post by 200419110 »

Ok. I know that since I have been vet for almost a month, it would be nice to have /specpatrol. However I do understand that it makes the staff seem a little less staff-like. Therefore it really doesn't matter if we get it or not to me. :)
+Fricksion: What if...
+Fricksion: What if Grant works for the NSA
+Fricksion: Do not trust Grant
200419110: D:
+Fricksion: Agent 200419110, do not make me say your real codename.
+Fricksion: Agent hotbabe69ladiesdude, please report.
200419110: omg

Shreebz
OP

Post by Shreebz »

/specpatrol and /patrol are interchangeable I believe.

Or.

/patrol selects a random guest to /tp to.
/specpatrol selects a random guest to /spectate.

Either way, the arguement remains.

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

This argument has been said and denied over and over again, I already spoke it with Hafnium.
Answer: Straight forward, "No."
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Shreebz
OP

Post by Shreebz »

I didn't know that it was already debated over, but I'd like to hear the reasons why you and Haf disapprove of Vet /patrol ability.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

However I do understand that it makes the staff seem a little less staff-like.
That's not the point at all, we're not denying it cause we are a bunch of oligarchic and bitter dwarves.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

Shreebz wrote:I didn't know that it was already debated over, but I'd like to hear the reasons why you and Haf disapprove of Vet /patrol ability.
We didn't even speak it over, I just barely even stated it, and instantly he said, "No."
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Shreebz
OP

Post by Shreebz »

You obviously have to had spoken about it, if you've said no to it before. What were the reasons before? That's my question.

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

Shreebz wrote:You obviously have to had spoken about it, if you've said no to it before. What were the reasons before? That's my question.
I'll let the owners answer that, As I remember a bit, But not a whole bunch to conclude it.
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

The answer is becuz. Simple as that.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Xesdra

Post by Xesdra »

Ollieboy wrote:The answer is becuz. Simple as that.
No you?
This post makes my post count increase by one!

jxfuller

Post by jxfuller »

Giving specpatrol gives no real additional power to the user. It only makes it easier to moderate....

However, maybe Haf feels if Vet's get patrol, some vet's will make more mistakes in moderating because they are able to cover more people, rather than /tp'ing to a place where a guest says there's a griefer?

That or the fact that then the only real difference between a Vet and a OP would be block count.....

Those are the only logical reasons I can think of for saying no.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

I have never used it in my life and I moderate just fine. It is just a bonus one for catching special cases like speed grief and stuff, which are cases that should really only be handled by op+. It provides no general moderation bonus.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie