is it worth deleting old worlds?

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!
matelo2

is it worth deleting old worlds?

Post by matelo2 »

As the only staff member left visiting my site I have decided to thin out the worlds.
Do I get much computer space back from just wunload or do I need to delete the world completely? Is there a command for ungen?
I don't own the server and it is on the owners computer. He keeps it going even though he hasn't been on for almost a year (i did /info <owner> on him), he has other things running on it so he is happy to leave it running. So I can't get at the files or the consol (or can I , you tell me, can I, even with his approval?)
I am doing /wset <world> hide on so they don't show but wonder what advantage it would be , memory wise, to just remove them if the world owner hasn't been on for say six months.

matelo2

Re: is it worth deleting old worlds?

Post by matelo2 »

can no-one know the answer for this?

boblol0909
SupOP

Post by boblol0909 »

You don't get back any harddrive space from unloading a world, you have to actually delete the file from the host. Haven't played in a long time, but I'm pretty sure there's no command for deleting the actual file from fcraft.

matelo2

Post by matelo2 »

ok thanks for the reply.
I assume I would have to download the 'worlds' file and clear names manually.
Seems a long way to go about it.
I have a few hundred worlds from as far back as 2 years ago, its a shame I can't just make all worlds I want to delete, say, accessible by a particular rank and then <delete all worlds accessible by a particular rank> .
I will have to look further into this.

fragmer
fCraft Developer

Post by fragmer »

/gen and /wsave can create new map files. /wload can also cause map files to be created, by copying or importing an existing map file.

/wload adds filenames to "worlds.xml", and /wunload removes filenames from "worlds.xml".

Note that /wunload does not actually delete map files. There is no way to delete map files with commands. I probably will not add such a command any time soon, out of security concerns. To delete the actual map file, you need access to the filesystem (either locally, or remotely via FTP, SFTP, Remote Desktop, etc).

In the future, please post questions regarding fCraft software in the appropriate forum.

Cheers.