Builder rank suggestion

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!
jxfuller

Builder rank suggestion

Post by jxfuller »

Ever since the change in what it takes to get a promotion, it seems we've had a large influx of new builders. Over like the last 5 builders worlds (maybe more), there has been a ton of /sphere spam everywhere. These spheres are even griefing into other builds. This is also the only type of command spam I see on builder worlds.

My suggestion is to make /sphere inaccesible to builders.

On a related note, because of all the builders, we pretty much need a builder world every other day.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Re: Builder rank suggestion

Post by Ollieboy »

It's a good point, but if it wasn't sphere it'd be something else.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

jxfuller

Post by jxfuller »

We should do it. It would eliminate the spam and we wouldn't see other spam take its place. It wouldn't get replaced by other types of spam because we would already being seeing at least some of other types of spam already. As we speak, the new builder world is already getting some spheres over it.
Last edited by jxfuller on July 19th, 2011, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Unfortunately we've had this discussion many times before. Basically the arguement is either give them all the building powers, or none of them. I've personally tried to get /sphere taken away from builders without success. :wink: However, if we are opening the topic up for suggestion again, I'd like to add that if /e works in the way I believe it does, we should be fine. Rather than people creating spheres without knowing the size exactly, they can contain it using a box (IE: from point A to point B somehwere diagonally from point A in the sky) and the /e command. That way they can judge and tell almost precisely where the sphere will be made.
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Basically the arguement is either give them all the building powers, or none of them.
It's not an argument, it just isn't possible.

Also jxfuller, this:
I think, I feel, I don't think, I don't think
is not very sound argumentation.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Sanjar Khan wrote: It's not an argument, it just isn't possible.
Not possible with fCraft? Didn't know that.

capi
OP

Post by capi »

KingCrab wrote:
Sanjar Khan wrote: It's not an argument, it just isn't possible.
Not possible with fCraft? Didn't know that.
perhaps it isn't possible with the way fCraft permission groups are structured right now but anything reasonable is possible with Frag-doodle.
(yes I just made that up)
>l>

jxfuller

Post by jxfuller »

Sanjar Khan wrote: is not very sound argumentation.
I said it that way because there's no way to know for certain whether it will be true or not, so it's my opinion, so I don't try to state it as fact like Ollie did, but I will change it.

Ollie's argument isn't fact either, there is no way for him to know for certain that other types of spam will take it's place, yet tries to state it as fact, unlike me.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

It's happened in the past. It will happen again. Give a man enough rope and he will hang himself. Give a builder commands and he will mess up.

Either way once again (from another post), permission node, its all or none.

Aryeec

Post by Aryeec »

Ollieboy wrote:It's happened in the past. It will happen again. Give a man enough rope and he will hang himself. Give a builder commands and he will mess up.

Either way once again (from another post), permission node, its all or none.
But you must leave room for the possibility of people changing for the better! haha
Those spheres are like the one ring to Boromir.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Fragmer is adjusting the permissions and builders will go without sphere. This is the perfect case of a few fucking it up for the majority, but it is something that clearly has to happen.

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Ollieboy wrote: This is the perfect case of a few fucking it up for the majority, but it is something that clearly has to happen.
As is the case for life pretty much...

Wundsalz
Trustee

Post by Wundsalz »

Ollieboy wrote:Fragmer is adjusting the permissions and builders will go without sphere. This is the perfect case of a few fucking it up for the majority, but it is something that clearly has to happen.
good bye sphere spam, welcome ellipsoid spam! :twisted:
As a sidenote: everytime a guest gets promoted, the first thing he's taught seems to be the /sp command.
You should focus on teaching the proper use of /copy, /rotate and /mirror and -> /undo !!!<- instead. That's the stuff actually needed to create nice builds. Let them figure out the existence of the /sp command themselves.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Inunata

Post by Inunata »

I agree with Wund Maybe a longer tut on how to actually build good stuff
INUNATA

Helio: I prefer 6 years old
KingCrab72: If there hair on the muff shes old enough
Inunata: :S

Darklight
SupOP

Post by Darklight »

Wundsalz wrote: As a sidenote: everytime a guest gets promoted, the first thing he's taught seems to be the /sp command.
Everyone here knows this isn't the case. Everyone who teaches goes through each command in a specific order. Usually going the line command and all the varieties /c# commands, lava and water before ellipsoid and sphere, moving into the "harder" ones such as copy, mirror, rotate etc.

Everytime before I teach the sphere command I ensure I drill the warnings on spheres and the repercussions of it into their heads. Then if they screw up with them, hey, they were given ample warning for it and shouldve known better.

Wundsalz
Trustee

Post by Wundsalz »

well, as far as I remember, my personal train was limited to /c and /sp. However I have to admit that I've basicly ignored my teacher afterwards and toyed around with the commands myself.

Anyway I doubt that it's possible and/or would make sence to teach all commands. Most of them are rather straight forward and can be figured out via /commands and /help when needed. It's a task of setting priorities and imo the /sp command isn't very relevant at the beginning and thus can be cut from the standard lesson.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Pemalite
Trustee

Post by Pemalite »

I didn't remember a thing that CDferg taught me. It was simply to much to soon for someone first starting to play Minecraft.
Most of it is common sense as far as rules go however. And if in doubt. Just ask! (Gawd bless ye, Helio_! Patient, patient man.)

I think another additional idea would be to place the most important rules on the front wooden wall of the School and reminding builders to always go back to school if they are unsure on a command. (Where again, they would see the rules as soon as they arrive.)
Xecutioner91890: I wanna meet the owners that would be a dream !
<@hafnium> Fuck off

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

How Do I Geometry.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Fehzor
Trustee

Post by Fehzor »

DreamingInsane wrote:How Do I Geometry.
Is the title of a book I never want to read....

Sharker28

Post by Sharker28 »

If you make the sphere command go away then yes it will shortly solve the problem. However, what happens if one of those yahoos makes it to veteran rank? spam of vet worlds, abuse of freeze, kick and other veteran abilitys and so on. I believe sphere command should stay because then you know who the immature people are and kick them out before they rank up to something that can cause more damage. maybe have a pre-vet rank with sphere command to see who can handle such commands?