Grief Traps?

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!
Ravetastic

Grief Traps?

Post by Ravetastic »

A question was posed today by pleaseunbanme and we discussed it a little bit in game, but I would like to ask you guys what you think.

With the recent addition of block history pleaseunbanme thought it would be a good idea to make a small, but noticeable build in a few places on the map and occasionally come to it and if it was griefed, use /bi to determine who griefed it. I was wondering, do you think this is a good idea. I personally think it would be useful in weeding through the list of guests to find griefers or just wait for someone to notify us of a griefer. Now, if this does get implemented I think there should be some limitations to it. I don't think that we should immediately freeze them or warn them because guests are stupid and wouldn't understand that we have evidence that they griefed something in the past. Instead, if we do end up using this, that it should only be used as a device to know who to monitor for potential grief.

What do you guys think?

cdferg
Trustee

Re: Grief Traps?

Post by cdferg »

I don't like using /bi as a glorified /pat, but I'm not sure how to utilize block tracking differently or more effectively. Maybe someone who has more experience with block tracking can give some input.
doberman411: I now know that I feel a bit of relief every time the landing gear of my plane lifts off of the runway knowing that I'm one step closer to freedom.

xKoreaNx
SupOP

Post by xKoreaNx »

This discussion sounds so familiar.

Anyway, I don't think we should neglect to use such a great tool by using it to just "look for who to watch". But that's just my opinion.

As for the "building griefer traps" building small builds and watching them would be no different than watching a guest's building for grief, and acting upon it.

The question though, is how DO we act upon grief via /bi.

Quite a big question, and I'd like to have an owner's opinion on it.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

I really think that just finding grief around the map will suffice. If the block tracking is perfect then we can use THAT as evidence as if we saw them grief, and then freeze and warn etc. It's just another source of evidence.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Fehzor
Trustee

Post by Fehzor »

We've said no to this idea and ideas like it a hundred times in the past. The only grief trap that I personally will go for, is the zoned room under the spawn in DGL, with a water pillar in the center to help them get out afterward. That one is just funny- they get off the spawn, immediately start tearing the grass up, and fall through, wasting about 30 seconds of their time. It doesn't waste space, its efficient, and it doesn't require any kind of labor to fix, rebuild, reset, or anything.

boblol0909
SupOP

Post by boblol0909 »

Fehzor wrote:We've said no to this idea and ideas like it a hundred times in the past.
Shame on you snacky :wink:

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

"Have a open car with 10.000 euro in it."
In dutch law its even illigal to provoke criminals as a cop.
Altho its not a crime online i vote against provoking our griefers on freebuild.

http://forum.fcraft.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 6343#p6343
Intertoothh wrote:Asuming your talking about freebuild?
xKoreaNx wrote:find evidence
The block-tracking can be a great tool, but its not yet considert as evidence.
See it more as a 'hint' who to watch, a usefull one specialy for speedgriefers.

You still have the catch them while they are griefing.
xKoreaNx wrote:Now that we have block tracking, how would the moderation procedure be changed by this?
It will not change.
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

What does Dutch law have to do with this? :hmm:
(I get your point(comparison), but I don't see why this.. FKJGNFJDJF)
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

Well, i dont know the law of other country's that wel.
I just take it as a commen sence its not nice to provoke people.

If a guest just joined our server and doesnt know the rules,
seeing a big sign 'grief me' he thinks its allowed to grief.

Therefore we are not allowed to provoke.

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

The style of this would be quite simple, I am fully with this, it would be a bit like the auto system, but it BANS instead, take a page from OptiCraft, zone it somehow, still allowing guests to build, but obviously they can't as the auto system would catch them out, thus not much patrolling needed, depending on how many traps you set up
Bloody_Llama wrote:Portals are like flavored condoms: an interesting idea, but not something you ever actually want to use in practice.
0_o
Ollieboy wrote:The taste runs out really quickly, and then your just stuck sucking on a bit of rubber around a banana.

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

barrowboyjames wrote:The style of this would be quite simple, I am fully with this, it would be a bit like the auto system, but it BANS instead, take a page from OptiCraft, zone it somehow, still allowing guests to build, but obviously they can't as the auto system would catch them out, thus not much patrolling needed, depending on how many traps you set up
Maybe we aren't clear eneugh.

We are NOT going to setup traps for our guests.