New Temp Map? v2

Free forum for everything around the smp server not falling under other categories

Now what?

A) (read below)
4%
B) (read below)
96%

Total votes: 26

Ollieboy
Trustee

New Temp Map? v2

Post by Ollieboy »

notch wrote:Pre releases and Adventure Updates
The adventure update is going great! We’re adding features and cramming in content, and then started feature creeping and content creeping. What we’ve got on our hands now is somewhere in between a finished Adventure Mode update and a version of the game we’d be proud to call just “Minecraft”. Not “Minecraft Beta” or “Minecraft Alpha”, but just plain and simple “Minecraft”.

And we’re going to release that version of the game live on stage in Vegas at MineCon! Woooo!

Up until then, instead of trying to squeeze in another real release, we’re going to do weekly (or so) pre releases, aimed at advanced players. We release these via twitter, so make sure to follow me (@notch) and Jens (@jeb_) if you’re interested in those.

Also, we’re finally adding a dragon.
Notch is an asshole and has gone back on everything he said about planned updates, drastically changing our plan.

So, new poll. In light of the fact that the next REAL update of Minecraft won't be UNTIL November 18 at Minecon, what should we do?

A) Run his pre-releases as they come, requiring users to update their clients (we will try and make that as easy as possible for you with download links and stuff), and then go permanent at 1.9 (remembering that 1.10 will be right around the corner a month later, requiring regeneration). Keep in mind this regeneration could involve copying builds over, or a map of the same seed just updated, to which we copy GOOD builds in.
(Don't take the above point as a definite yet, I'm just riffing)

B) Continue the 1.8 server that we have now, with a new map of course, then do the above (go permanent at 1.9)

At this stage, waiting until 1.10 to go permanent is out of the question, considering it is now over 2 months away from here, and we might just need to make the sacrifice of missing out, or if the new update has a shitload of stuff, regenning and making the permanent map a little bit less permanent.

This will obviously not be the final decision, just a guide of what people want so we can start managing it.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Ollieboy
Trustee

Re: New Temp Map? v2

Post by Ollieboy »

Also, you will have plugins during the 1.8 server, but nothing for the 1.9 pre-releases. Anyone who says "you should totally install this plugin" if we go the pre-release route will be instantly banned.

tomsplz3
SupOP

Post by tomsplz3 »

ok how about saving peoples builds to the stats files(that are good of course) and when we go permanent map those builds are added in..) like we were supposed to have when 1.7 was around.

as for this seed i really like it as there are tons of places to explore in it, also several mountain ranges and cliffs that are steep.... i say use it again.

*also an idea. is there a way of making a temp kit for the cracked stone and mossy stone since not everyone will have access to them. *

also with new map how about designating on spawn itself the pvp rules. i dont mind the pvp anymore unless its going to spawn and getting killed inside spawn.

just ideas for consideration like them or hate em

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

As much as I would love to experience the new features, I'm going to say stick with 1.8 and get a new map. There are a couple reasons.

For one, if I'm understanding option A correctly, the constant release of pre-releases will be a hassle with moving builds and things of that sort. Besides, the full game will be another month away.

For two, plugins. All of the things we have in our current server such as pailstone, creepers not affecting blocks, ranks, etc etc are already there for use. Why wait for them to update?

For three, most of the people in the server who have been playing the pre-releases have already said they exiled themselves from SMP until the full release. Basically notch is saying "current owners of beta can wait so I can release the game in a dramatic way"

@Tom There is a trick to get mossy stone brick from regular brick. As for cracked, I personally don't see a reason for it.
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Yeah, the way Ollie structured his post clearly shows his predilection for option B. I agree though.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Kittle
OP

Post by Kittle »

Stick with 1.8

prototypedesign
SupOP

Post by prototypedesign »

Let's go with 1.9, but you should totally get this plugin...

Just kidding. I think it's better to just stick with 1.8 and plugins. It's gonna be a lot better than without and it'll have more protections.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Alright then, but yall are getting a new map.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

I want to fly, can I fly?

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

No. Not at all.

Also that reminds me I Put a hacks blocker on it, so I'll ban you if you use hacks. (Because it tells me about the attempts)

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Gay. What constitutes as an attempt? Because I remember doing all sorts of things to install them but they stopped working after awhile anyway. Please don't ban me.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Things like "Person was kicked for flying using Zombe"
"Person was kicked for noclip using Zombe"
"Person was kicked for attempting to spawn items with <whatever that hack is, I forget"

Aleries
Trustee

Post by Aleries »

I say stick with 1.8 to the very end, and wait to roll out our SMP idea until the final full version of Minecraft is released. Screw his shifty schedule planning and idea changes.
I'll go where ever my mind takes me.

prototypedesign
SupOP

By the way, can the server be set so that it doesn't necessarily kick for speed hacks? I've reached speeds in a boat on an EM (without any sort of glitches/exploits) that made the server kick me once, and it wasn't in a way that would be entirely impossible to emulate in normal conditions (i.e. off a waterway).

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

I'll lighten the restriction but I am definitely not removing it entirely. Really it shouldn't be a problem, but assholes will constantly ruin it for everyone else.

prototypedesign
SupOP

Ollieboy wrote:I'll lighten the restriction but I am definitely not removing it entirely. Really it shouldn't be a problem, but assholes will constantly ruin it for everyone else.
Eh, good enough. We are talking waterways built for obscene speed that are waaay hazardous.

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

do what we always have been doing, Stick with a stable beta version and continue until Notch fixes does another derp.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Cartoonman
SupOP

Post by Cartoonman »

keep 1.8 till lolnotch decides he wants to release MC officially.
That way, after he releases it, we can all aggravate him of how inconsistant and crappy it is and not be redirected to the fact that it's still a beta. :skeleton:

if you really want to try out the new derpdates, do so on singleplayer.
Show
00:53 hafnium: cartoon you talk too much

markiled: i just want to hump the speakers