[FIXED] Could not verify player name

Fixed bugs, solved problems, and old reports.
Hellenion

[FIXED] Could not verify player name

Post by Hellenion »

My server has been set to never verify player names from the start, I knew this was unsafe and everything but I didn't really care about safety. Now I did get hacked and the hacker banned some players and removed 2 worlds, all easily undone.

But now I've switched to balancedNormal mode, I'm getting a lot of complaints of people who can't log in, neither through the WoM client nor the minecraft.net client.

I would file it as a bug, but as the verification code hasn't been touched in months, this seems unlikely and thus might be something in my settings..

Does anyone else have similar problems, or know what I'm doing wrong?

I'll see what behavior I get on a new server under several settings, but as I need bugged players to test this, it might not work/take a while.
A = {x ∈ P(U) | x ∉ x}
Mods:
  1. /Su - Allows players to temporarily become a different rank
  2. /Snap - Like /Line but only draws straight or diagonal lines.
  3. pre-0.630 skip/none block

fragmer
fCraft Developer

Re: Could not verify player name

Post by fragmer »

Verification problems are usually a combination of Minecraft.net problems and user error. Here are some things you can do to fix verification problems:
  • If minecraft.net is offline or slow, wait for it to stabilize.
  • If minecraft.net is working but you still cant verify name, log out then log back in.
  • Try restarting your server. Wait a couple minutes before trying to connect to a newly-restarted server (to give your server time to synchronize with minecraft.net).
  • If you (or your players) are using WoM client's "Resume" function, which uses cached verification information, use the proper log-in procedure in WoM. The "Resume" function only works as long as your IP does not change and as long as the server does not restart.

Solovir

Post by Solovir »

I know this topic is a few months old....but google brought it up and it's exactly what I'm experiencing.

I recently inherited an Fcraft server that I've been playing on for the better part of a year, and when it switched to me, I went ahead and updated it to all the newest updates (previous host didn't care to). When this happened, all player info was reset. I had to repromote all our admins, reload all our worlds, and sort out which players were the ranks they claimed to be.

None of this is really an issue though. When I got the server I set it to normal, where several people could not log on no matter what they tried (Logging in through the dot net, logging in and selecting the server manually) so I set the server for "Never Verify". Shortly after that, we were hacked and had to clean up a mess. Even while set in "Never Verify", when players logged in, it would say in the console that "Player could not be verified. Playername matches previous records, was let in anyways due to settings".

When I set it back to normal, a similar message comes up. "Player could not be verified. Playername matches previous records, WAS KICKED anyways."

I've done everything I can possibly think of and tried having them all log in in several different ways...and people are still having issues. Please help!

fragmer
fCraft Developer

Post by fragmer »

First of all, what fCraft version did you transition from? I try to maintain backwards compatibility with versions from previous ~12 months, so it must've been a seriously ancient version of fCraft, or a heavily modded one.

Now, name verification. Are you certain that it's set to "Normal" and not "Strict"? The message that you mentioned ("IP matched previous records for that name. Player was kicked anyway because VerifyNames is set to Always.") should never show up with "Normal" setting.

Solovir

Post by Solovir »

I don't know what update specifically it was at prior, but it hadn't been updated since april 2011.

I have moved the security tab all over the place...that "Cant verify player name" shows up on console no matter WHAT setting it's on. Even when verification is turned off....The only difference being, that with verification turned off, it will let people on (even though on console it says, "Player was not verified".

I've restarted and shutdown in between switching them every single time. I moved it to strict for a few days a couple weeks ago, and it shut out even more people than normal setting. So as of 9 days ago today, the server has been set to 'Normal'.

Previous host has never seen or had this problem before, so I am really at a loss.

fragmer
fCraft Developer

Post by fragmer »

A new development in name-verification issues:

A case was discovered when name verification could fail on players whose ranks were imported from MCSharp/MCForge prior to their first login to an fCraft server. This was caused by differences in the way fCraft and MCForge store player names. A workaround is coming in fCraft 0.615