[Solved] Not sure if this is the place for this or not...

Fixed bugs, solved problems, and old reports.
Silent79

[Solved] Not sure if this is the place for this or not...

Post by Silent79 »

I was just looking at the code.fcraft.net site and was reading the recent update to the readme.txt file. I noticed on lines 128-129 .. think there should be a "not" in there somewhere.

fragmer
fCraft Developer

Re: [Solved] Not sure if this is the place for this or not..

Post by fragmer »

Thank you for spotting! The readme ended up totally misleading without the "not."

Silent79

Post by Silent79 »

No problem. I have been following your project for some time now. Very clean and well organized software you have here. I just really wish it had block tracking or I would definately use it. I built on Team9000's server for a while and absolutely fell in love with fCraft. Keep up the good work fragmer!

fragmer
fCraft Developer

Post by fragmer »

Thank you!

I tried implementing a file-based tracking solution, which ended up wasting way too much memory, CPU time, and diskspace. Now I will probably go with a database-based solution. The problem is - I don't want to force every fCraft server to set up MySQL, and SQLite has its own set of performance issues...

Anyways, block tracking is not totally abandoned, I will definitely return to finish it at some point.

Silent79

Post by Silent79 »

I found this and thought I would share it with you. It lists an reviews the top 25 open source database engines. Might something in there worth checking out.

http://www.webresourcesdepot.com/25-alt ... s-engines/

fragmer
fCraft Developer

Post by fragmer »

The main problem is not the database backend, but the middleware that allows using more than one database engine (e.g. a choice of MySQL or SQLite). I am currently looking at either DBLinq or BLToolkit for middleware.