A Hello From MCForge!

For all mod-related questions and custom code.
EricKilla

A Hello From MCForge!

Post by EricKilla »

Hi!
I know, I know! "OMFG IT'S A MCFORGE DEVELOPER! KILL HIM! BURN HIM! HE'S A TRAITOR!" Well at least for some.
I'd like to say hello though. I have come to respect some features of fCraft, and look at some features (or the lack of them) with a taste of disgust. I'm sure you do the same with MCForge.
I'd like to say, first off, one of the BEST THINGS fCraft has going for it is it's stability: fCraft is the most Stable C# based server software in Minecraft Classic. It doesn't have memory leaks and doesn't crash all the time like MCLawl (and it's forks) do. I praise you for that. However the lack of physics, the lack of block tracking (/about) and an undo capability (which is great for antigrief) is a bit hit in the gut for fCraft and it makes a lot of users want to use MCForge/MCLawl-based softwares more.
However you also have impressive things. Your map generator and converter that you have in your GUI is BRILLIANT, and I'd kill to have it in MCForge. Like I said above you're hyper stable. Your trees are so fun to burn (sorry I imported a fCraft default... mountains map I believe... into my server and was entertained for hours) and you have some other great features.
I thought that I'd also like to state that MCForge would be willing to work with fCraft (probably when the moon, sun, stars, and planets align, you'll accept, or at least your users, as some of them HAAATE MCForge/MCLawl. </3) as we are a friendly group of people who are willing to set aside rivalries in the name of making a better software. Of course if you don't want to work with us we're fine with that too.
By the way, nice server you've got there.
EricKilla,
Owner/Team Leader, MCForge Minecraft Classic Custom Server Software

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Re: A Hello From MCForge!

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Why didn't you contact Fragmer directly?
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

fragmer
fCraft Developer

Re: A Hello From MCForge!

Post by fragmer »

Hello MCForge!

I think MCZall/MCLawl and my fCraft serve different niches - I never perceived them as competing projects. I've always focused on freebuild features and stability/performance, whereas MC* developers have historically had more interest in rapid feature release. I have not been keeping track of MCForge development, so I don't know if you are following the same direction - I'll have to do some googling before I can comment on your project ;)

I'm aware of the major functionality gaps in fCraft (like the ones you mentioned), but would much rather not rush new features at the expense of stability, performance, or usability.

I'll gladly accept code from / contribute code to MCForge project, but I can't imagine actually merging the projects at any point. The architectures and licenses of our software would not allow this to happen.

And thank you for kind words about fCraft,
- Matvei "fragmer" Stefarov.