Mason Application - Pavoneo

Apply for ranks in CMP or Classic, or a map for a project here.
Pavoneo

Mason Application - Pavoneo

Post by Pavoneo »

I would like to be the first Mason only to be promoted by pixel art. (Not sure if anyone has been promoted for it before me, so I'll just pretend like I am the only one so far who is applying for it) =P

Current Rank: Veteran
Applying for Rank: Mason
In-game Username: Pavoneo

Only 4 pixelarts currently, I will be adding more as time progresses.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4852/s ... 708364.png

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4684 ... 708365.png

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5814 ... 708370.png

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4544 ... 912033.png

I respect any decision that the F.Craft community makes.
I added the fourth Pixel Art. More to come soon.
Last edited by Pavoneo on October 9th, 2011, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
AtraxXx_Beer: um pav where should i set my entrance?
Pavoneo: My mouth
Pavoneo: Oh, too awkward?
Pavoneo: Ok.

Pemalite
Trustee

Re: Mason Application - Pavoneo

Post by Pemalite »

They look fantastic. It takes allot of time and patience to do that (With a 4th currently in progress!).

I can see the Mason block limit coming in handy when it comes to doing those large brushed backgrounds, but so far I don't think anyone has been promoted from Veteran to Mason.
So with that... I am genuinely interested to see if you can get it. :)

Good luck Pavoneo! And keep up the good work!
Xecutioner91890: I wanna meet the owners that would be a dream !
<@hafnium> Fuck off

cdferg
Trustee

Post by cdferg »

I'm really interested to see if you get it too. If so, I think you'd be the first to be promoted to Mason solely from Pixel Arts. Do you have any non-pixels?
doberman411: I now know that I feel a bit of relief every time the landing gear of my plane lifts off of the runway knowing that I'm one step closer to freedom.

Pavoneo

Post by Pavoneo »

I did have 2-3 decent non-pixel art builds. But they got deleted as the server got corrupted. Along with a few more pixel arts of mine as well.
AtraxXx_Beer: um pav where should i set my entrance?
Pavoneo: My mouth
Pavoneo: Oh, too awkward?
Pavoneo: Ok.

cdferg
Trustee

Post by cdferg »

Well that sucks. Good luck to you anyways :)
doberman411: I now know that I feel a bit of relief every time the landing gear of my plane lifts off of the runway knowing that I'm one step closer to freedom.

Kittle
OP

Post by Kittle »

Well, you know my view about pixel art and mason. :P

As for criticism... I don't really know.

Good luck nonetheless...

imtygatyga

Post by imtygatyga »

Good luck Pavoneo !

Your pixel arts are very well done !

nomnomnom <3
Pemalite+: Does everyone like Pavs penis?
<fts> Ill try and sneak some vodka into school sometime

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you can become the first mason to be based on mainly pixelarts! :twisted:
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

I don't know, does this show you have above avarage building skills? hmm.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Shintengin

Post by Shintengin »

You have amazing pixel arts, I hope you get Mason.
“If you use your head, you won’t get fat even if you eat sweets.”
~L.

xN8Gx

Post by xN8Gx »

Sanjar Khan wrote:I don't know, does this show you have above avarage building skills? hmm.
By one way of thinking it does. It takes a really good eye for detail, creativity, dedication to your work, and command mastery to make these pixel-arts, the only difference is he's applying these skills to large 2-D structures instead of large 3-D structures.

Just my opinion though. Good luck mate :)
[12:43] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You are the sexiest chick ever.
[12:44] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You so sexy. I wanna touch and stroke your luscious beautifull hair like it was my own and hear you purr.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Actually, out of all those, it really only takes dedication. Maybe a little creativity in choosing a nice subject. hmm.

Kittle
OP

Post by Kittle »

xN8Gx wrote:
Sanjar Khan wrote:I don't know, does this show you have above avarage building skills? hmm.
By one way of thinking it does. It takes a really good eye for detail, creativity, dedication to your work, and command mastery to make these pixel-arts, the only difference is he's applying these skills to large 2-D structures instead of large 3-D structures.

But you don't copy paste 3D builds? So how is that the same?

Pemalite
Trustee

Post by Pemalite »

Kittle wrote:
xN8Gx wrote:

But you don't copy paste 3D builds? So how is that the same?
Actually. Some 3D builds are based on a real life counterpart. Some even use the same dimensions and scaling.
Depending on the project it's actually very similar to doing pixel art on a basic level, the World Trade Center and the Chrysler buildings being a good example of this. Heck! Even some of the Battleships.

3D builds get trickier though when you start doing 3D models of creatures and people full of curves, but that's more Architect level stuff mostly.

However with that said, I wouldn't mind seeing Pavoneo make a large building of some sorts so we can see what level he is at regarding those. :)
Xecutioner91890: I wanna meet the owners that would be a dream !
<@hafnium> Fuck off

prototypedesign
SupOP

Post by prototypedesign »

Great pixel arts, I'm not sure if it's mason because it's not building (sorry, it's the way it's been since *I* got here last year).

That said, if you can get mason for pixel arts, you would definitely get it from me.

cartmen838213

Post by cartmen838213 »

Well if you were to ask most any vet to make these same pixel arts i can guarantee they either quit or make a very horrible looking reproduction of it. Pav does have above-average building skills as well as above-average patience. I would probably quit after trying to make it look right the 100th time. But this is just my lowly opinion :D . Good luck Pav.
PS- Pav did make a build that is 3-D, i don't know if its done yet, but i saw it today, looked pretty good to me.
[20:50] <KingCrab> omg
[20:50] <KingCrab> A bear just raped me
[20:51] <+FCB2> 15EmmaNekoNya: its pedo bear!!

Fehzor
Trustee

Post by Fehzor »

The problem most have with pixel art, is that aside from the time spent doing it, the only thing that you're actually doing is moving pixels from one image to another, and no spacial reasoning, or other skills are really developed when producing it. When making 3D art, even if its from a reference, you're interpreting it and making something somewhat new. Think of it as a scale- minecraft blocks being the smallest part of what you're building, the smaller you make that part, the more detail your build will have, but the catch, is that there is no 1:1 in minecraft- no matter how small you get it, your vision will never be as exact as it would if you were making it out of clay, or stone, or anything of that sort. In pixel art however, there is a 1:1 scale, and that distorts the ease of which you can replicate a work.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

Fehzor wrote:The problem most have with pixel art, is that aside from the time spent doing it, the only thing that you're actually doing is moving pixels from one image to another, and no spacial reasoning, or other skills are really developed when producing it. When making 3D art, even if its from a reference, you're interpreting it and making something somewhat new. Think of it as a scale- minecraft blocks being the smallest part of what you're building, the smaller you make that part, the more detail your build will have, but the catch, is that there is no 1:1 in minecraft- no matter how small you get it, your vision will never be as exact as it would if you were making it out of clay, or stone, or anything of that sort. In pixel art however, there is a 1:1 scale, and that distorts the ease of which you can replicate a work.
I disagree. Yes, it may be easier to make an exact replica of a picture than it is of a 3d object, but that doesn't mean you're just replacing it pixel for pixel. Unless you have a block type for each type of colour and luminosity and radiance. And you're making it in exactly the same height and width as there are pixels.
_Snivy_: is desosus a bot?

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

That is exactly what it means, unless picking colors became a skill that is so rare among people that it needs to be rewarded with a promotion.

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Desosus - actually placing blocks pixel by pixel is how most of the pixel artists are doing it, and I knew some of the best ones out there. You scale down the picture to exactly the size it will be in-game and go ahead.
The only difficulty, and I agree that it takes a bit of experience and skill, is choosing the right palette and deciding what color to place in "border cases" where several block types (plus shading) could potentially fit.
Everything else is time.

"Voxelizing" a 3D build is much more challenging - I even have physical proof for it - there are tons of programs that produce good pixelart in Minecraft automatically while there are only a few that are able to voxelize 3D objects and the results suck without fail. ;-)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell