Lava temporarily vanishes when below /z sand

Report any bugs you find in fCraft here
yeetrium

Lava temporarily vanishes when below /z sand

Post by yeetrium »

A lava patch in any shape vanishes under a patch of sand built with /z sand, also happens with gravel when using /z gravel. The deletion of lava is temporary because when you rejoin the map the lava comes back. No physics are modded or enabled on the server. There has to be no space between the patches of lava and sand or gravel.

Let me know if this is indeed a bug. Thanks

Cole5slaw
OP

Re: Lava temporarily vanishes when below /z sand

Post by Cole5slaw »

This indeed is a bug, but it is a Minecraft Classic Multiplayer bug. It also happens when you just normally place it.
You can easily place the gravel/sand above the ground first THEN place the water or lava. This has been consulted before.

yeetrium

Post by yeetrium »

Sorry I hadn't searched any previous topics about this but here's one that you may be talking about: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2804&view=next

Seems like a workaround for this has been tried already. I believe it's possible to fix it somehow, but I understand it may be a mess to code and adjust to certain clients. Hope someone does fix it, not much of a big deal though since it does come back after rejoining the map.

fragmer
fCraft Developer

Post by fragmer »

Minecraft client hides the water/lava under sand in anticipation of the sand dropping. It's a strange bit of prediction that Notch built into the client. Custom clients (like Charged-Miners) are not affected by this bug, but vanilla Minecraft and WoM are.

I tried a few workarounds, and as far as I can tell, there is nothing I can do server-side to stop water/lava from disappearing.

yeetrium

Post by yeetrium »

Thanks for replying. It's not much of a big deal unless you're making a spleef arena floor out of sand/gravel over lava/water. Yeah, it is quite interesting how Notch coded the Sand/Gravel dropping physics for dropping over certain blocks like water, lava and air. Maybe it was a practical way to do it. I'm not sure if he fixed his code after custom servers came out but it is classic after all.