Fragmer's Guide to Pixel Art

Want to show off your Build, Video or Fanart from the Classic server? Here's the right place to do it!
fragmer
fCraft Developer

Fragmer's Guide to Pixel Art

Post by fragmer »

I finally got around to write a guide about how I made PixelPonies. First of all, you need Photoshop. Second, you need this palette file that I use. Here are the basic steps:

1. Find a clean reference image. Those oversize "vector" renders are excellent. Clean it up with "surface blur" if there is surface noise.

2. Reduce palette (Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color). Choose Local/Adaptive palette; As few colors as you can have without visible artifacts - usually 30-40; White matte; No dither). This initial reduction helps get rid of some downsampling artifacts, especially around antialiased edges.

3. Bring image back to RGB mode (Image -> Mode -> RGB Color). It won't change visually -- pattern reduction has already been applied.

4. Adjust image brightness. Use "Levels" adjustment (Image -> Adjustments -> Levels) and bring the output levels down until image's white matches Minecraft's white. (0 - 179) range works for me, but this can be tweaked depending on the level. Gamma should be adjusted to darken the image a bit, to 0.80-0.65 range. Alternative that sometimes works better is "Brightness/Contrast" adjustment. Bringing brightness down to -75% produces an equivalently dark image.

5. Resize image down to desired size (Image -> Image Size...). Use "Nearest neighbor" resampling method.

6. Reduce palette to Minecraft colors only (Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color). Select "Custom" palette and load it from file.

7. You should now have a rough pixelated image, in Minecraft colors. You may need to go back and redo the levels/brightness adjustment step a few times to get best conversion results. I also sometimes combine conversions at different gammas, if I cannot get the desired color split in one conversion (as you can see me doing in the video below at 0:07-0:10 mark).

8. Manually fix any discontinuities, missing detail, wrong colors, etc. This is the time-consuming bit, and it takes some practice. But this is what makes the difference between generated and handcrafted pixelart. (This video shows the process, sped-up, for a different picture -- I didn't record one for this picture.)

9. Build it in Minecraft!