New Temp Map?

Free forum for everything around the smp server not falling under other categories

Make a new temp map for 1.9?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 17

Ollieboy
Trustee

New Temp Map?

Post by Ollieboy »

There has been a pretty unanimous decision to have more of a temp map until 1.10 is released in about a month. It's not the most popular decision, but come November you'll be happy that you won't need to sacrifice all your buildings again.

Either way, do you want a new temp map for 1.9? I'm getting mixed requests and forums are a better handle.

Note, we will be updating the Nether definitely, due to the incoming upgrades.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

PyroPyro

Re: New Temp Map?

Post by PyroPyro »

I vote YES.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Yes, if Pyro vouches to use a new picture next time.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Yes, everyone has spread out too much making it harder to kill people. :cow:
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Scrathy
Trustee

Post by Scrathy »

Do it!

Smokeybacon
Trustee

Post by Smokeybacon »

Shure, let's just hope it doesn't take too long to come out, because the longer we spend on temp maps, the more dedicated players we will lose. But I can definitely see the advantage of having a 1.9 temp map as opposed to a short lived 'permanent' one.
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: my dad is an arkansas goveren
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and iwe are suing skittles
[02:29] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and we may file a lawsuit against fcraft

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Go for it
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

1.9 won't be out until minecon, said by notch on Twitter. Which is also when minecraft is fully released, so, there is no point in waiting for more pre-releases I say we just go ahead and make the new temp server with pre-release 3, I also believe we should just update each time a new pre-release is available.
Smokeybacon wrote:the longer we spend on temp maps, the more dedicated players we will lose.
Whilst I understand where you're coming from, I do not agree. If they were so dedicated, they to would see the logic in holding back on creating a permanent server.
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Kittle
OP

Post by Kittle »

Yes, and I agree with Smokey, temp maps are just not appealing to anyone.

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Smokeybacon wrote:Shure, let's just hope it doesn't take too long to come out, because the longer we spend on temp maps, the more dedicated players we will lose. But I can definitely see the advantage of having a 1.9 temp map as opposed to a short lived 'permanent' one.
Uhm - what is the difference between a temp map and a "short lived permanent one"? ;-)
The naming? In the end both are lost just the same...

When Minecraft is updated, the world needs to be regenerated since Notch introduces new entities, biomes, terrain features, blocks and yada-yada. It really is outside of the scope of our influence to decide when a world will need wiping.

Having a "more permanent map" would mean we'd need to keep the server downgraded, which, needless to say, would lose us far more players than introducing new maps.

Players can still export their builds via MCEdit schematics... We should probably allow everybody to use this feature shortly before the new world is introduced so they can import their builds.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Lim-Dul wrote:
Players can still export their builds via MCEdit schematics... We should probably allow everybody to use this feature shortly before the new world is introduced so they can import their builds.
Alright, I'm just going to throw this idea out there.

Why not let everyone create whatever build they want in singleplayer, and then transfer it via .schematic? Put size restrictions, what blocks they can use (clearly no diamond block castles) and other things like that. It will give people something to look forward to while not having to wait until the new map to get started.

That's what I'm doing currently with Armaita. That way you also don't have people complaining about some people having creative and others not. Tell them once the map comes, no one gets creative AT ALL. They will already have a "castle" however. So no complaining there. Also, imagine the economy if the resources are plentiful rather than certain areas becoming scare due to the communities you know will be formed.
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

tomsplz3
SupOP

Post by tomsplz3 »

KingCrab wrote:
Lim-Dul wrote:
Alright, I'm just going to throw this idea out there.

Why not let everyone create whatever build they want in singleplayer, and then transfer it via .schematic? Put size restrictions, what blocks they can use (clearly no diamond block castles) and other things like that. It will give people something to look forward to while not having to wait until the new map to get started.

That's what I'm doing currently with Armaita. That way you also don't have people complaining about some people having creative and others not. Tell them once the map comes, no one gets creative AT ALL. They will already have a "castle" however. So no complaining there. Also, imagine the economy if the resources are plentiful rather than certain areas becoming scare due to the communities you know will be formed.

because then the people who do that wont have their build moved over when they ask or it will be lost in translation. or all diamond coal and cracked stone wont be allowed nor will webs

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

That isn't a safe way of doing things. We are letting you do it as a one off, King. And me with Initus but that's a whole different kettle of fish because it's a spawn thing. We can give anyone their schematics FROM our server, and that goes for whenever because it's fair game considering they built it, but we won't be importing in.

Cartoonman
SupOP

Post by Cartoonman »

Lim-Dul wrote: When Minecraft is updated, the world needs to be regenerated since Notch introduces new entities, biomes, terrain features, blocks and yada-yada. It really is outside of the scope of our influence to decide when a world will need wiping.

due to all ze drama w/ wipes and such, i'm abiding to this rule of thumb: Don't play (or at least, don't put in effort/work on) SMP till release date of Minecraft.

that way, you don't lose anything. :) There. problem solved.
Show
00:53 hafnium: cartoon you talk too much

markiled: i just want to hump the speakers

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Irrelevant.