The World Ending?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit other categories here.
Desosus
SupOP

Re: The World Ending?

Post by Desosus »

Bloody_Llama wrote:
Cartoonman wrote: what, noone's upset that the andromeda galaxy's gonna collide with us? It's a GALAXY, leik, it's as big as a.. galaxy! That's bigger than China! :admincrete:
The Andromeda galaxy, like our own, is comprised almost entirely out of empty space. Even taking gravity into account, chances of our solar system being significantly affected by the "collision" are minimal.

Our sun will go red giant in about 5 million years though, which is a far more immediate concern. However, some very smart people have figured out already how we can strap rockets to asteroids and sling em by Earth to make it move away from the sun at the same rate that it expands, keeping us in the habitable zone. (I'll post a link if I'm un-lazy enough to find it)

As far as the Mayan calendar, the Mayans had a base 20 number system that basically required longer/more complex math the farther out a calendar is plotted. What this means is that it took so much time to make these calendars that the folks making them decided that 2012 was "good enough". There are numerous Mayan calendars that extend significantly past 2012 in fact.
5 BILLION. Not million. Not to worry, we as a species will be extinct LONG before that happens.
_Snivy_: is desosus a bot?

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

Meh... in 100,000,000,000,000 (100 trillion) years everybody and everything will cease to exist because the universe will die! (Thanks Doctor Who)
Bloody_Llama wrote:Portals are like flavored condoms: an interesting idea, but not something you ever actually want to use in practice.
0_o
Ollieboy wrote:The taste runs out really quickly, and then your just stuck sucking on a bit of rubber around a banana.

Scrathy
Trustee

Post by Scrathy »

The world will end when we can no longer think of stuff to invent.

PyroPyro

Post by PyroPyro »

Scrathy wrote:The world will end when we can no longer think of stuff to invent.

Bloody_Llama
Trustee

Post by Bloody_Llama »

Desosus wrote: 5 BILLION. Not million. Not to worry, we as a species will be extinct LONG before that happens.
Lol, at least I linked the right number despite my typo. Anyhow, the Cylons will still need somewhere to live right?

I actually resisted posting a topless photo of the galaxy's sexiest robot!
<FCB2> trevbev94: who made the perimid out of saind cause that is ausom
<FCB2> Pemalite+: druffin. 'cmere big boy for some lovin'

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Bloody_Llama wrote:
Desosus wrote: I actually resisted posting a topless photo of the galaxy's sexiest robot!
Why? D:
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

kattoo
Trustee

Post by kattoo »

barrowboyjames wrote:
Cartoonman wrote:If the end of the world happens on Dec. 2012, I'll pay yall a million dollars. fo cereal.
Winwin! The million dollars will be obsolete! Good thinking sir
Funny how the 300th smartest kid fails to read the obvious sarcasm.

I wouldn't mind this world to end, people are far too dumb to be let wandering on this planet these days :/
I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

kattoo wrote:
barrowboyjames wrote:
Cartoonman wrote:If the end of the world happens on Dec. 2012, I'll pay yall a million dollars. fo cereal.

I wouldn't mind this world to end, people are far too dumb to be let wandering on this planet these days :/
35 smartest kids.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Cartoonman
SupOP

Post by Cartoonman »

Show
for those of you that are cosmically challenged. :goldore:
Show
00:53 hafnium: cartoon you talk too much

markiled: i just want to hump the speakers

Ravetastic

Post by Ravetastic »

I don't know how it will end and to be honest it doesn't matter that much to me because more than likely I won't be around for it. Personally I'd like to see a zombie apocalypse happen. I say this because I'm in zombie mode since season 2 of The Walking Dead just started lol.

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

kattoo wrote:
barrowboyjames wrote:

Adding to the sarcasm. Okay? And Britain are thick, lowest exam results in Europe I think
Bloody_Llama wrote:Portals are like flavored condoms: an interesting idea, but not something you ever actually want to use in practice.
0_o
Ollieboy wrote:The taste runs out really quickly, and then your just stuck sucking on a bit of rubber around a banana.

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

If the world is going to end, its going to be our own fault.
Aka, nuclear world-war, or global nature environment fuckup.
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

Intertoothh wrote:If the world is going to end, its going to be our own fault.
Aka, nuclear world-war, or global nature environment fuckup.

_Snivy_: is desosus a bot?

Fehzor
Trustee

Post by Fehzor »

Yep, going to happen. Mayans can't be wrong.

Though I'm not quite sure what actually constitutes "the world ending". I mean, even if earth is destroyed or whatever, it's only changed to a different state, and if you consider all of space to be included into "the world", then there really is no end to any of it. I suppose time could just like, stop or something, but then who would care-?

"And what is `the end of the world' except a phrase, because who knows even what is the world itself?"

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

Fehzor wrote:"the world ending"
I'm a self centered mofo.
If i die, the world ends.

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress. ... -in-space/
So, for everyone convinced a comet would brings doomsday 2012, ya'll are wrong.
However, I'm a great believer that something will happen in 2012, be it the US economic fall, or becoming in touch with our unconscious mind. If you look at the facts, you'll see something big is going to happen in the next 10 or so years.
Not to mention the supposed particles that can move faster than the speed of light.
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Faster-than-light neutrinos were disproven, btw.

And also have nothing to do with anything. IF they existed, us finding them wouldn't indicate something big happening.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Ollieboy wrote:Faster-than-light neutrinos were disproven, btw.

And also have nothing to do with anything. IF they existed, us finding them wouldn't indicate something big happening.
Actually, it would, it shows Einstein was wrong about nothing being able to travel faster than the speed of light, which is the fundamental behind all physics.
As cliche as this may sound, it may allow us to time travel, it certainly would be possible for the neutrinos to time travel but there's still nothing currently known, to use this for us to time travel. That said, its still an early concept and is still being tested with no results of it being a fake or incorrect data. Please quote me if I'm wrong.
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

...what the...They DON'T exist for one, and no, they won't allow time travel. Not in the slightest. If we were to "time travel" the atoms in our body would ionize and we would explode, using the idea that going faster than light would send us into a different time frame.

And you are incredibly wrong. There is SO much data of it being fake an incorrect, because neutrinos DO NOT GO FASTER THAN LIGHT.

I was merely implying that finding out that they exist doesn't mean anything. Simply finding something does not mean it is going to destroy anything. They've been "testing" all sorts of concepts like this since historical physics.

Edit: http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.2685

The experiment that "proved" the faster than light neutrinos didn't even correct for relative motion, which is a BIG thing when measuring particles at or near the speed of light. Time-travel is no more possible than it was 20 years ago.

boblol0909
SupOP

Post by boblol0909 »

Ollieboy wrote:Faster-than-light neutrinos were disproven, btw.

Mind if you give me a link? I haven't seen where it's been disproven.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Ollieboy wrote: http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.2685

The experiment that "proved" the faster than light neutrinos didn't even correct for relative motion, which is a BIG thing when measuring particles at or near the speed of light. Time-travel is no more possible than it was 20 years ago.

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

Hit-Girl wrote:Please quote me if I'm wrong.
Cheers.
The first law of thermodynamics states that you don't discuss thermodynamics.

Gabe86

Post by Gabe86 »

If you believe in the multiple universe theory, technically the world has ended an infinite amount of times. We're just the lucky bastards that are in the universe that hasn't completely disintegrated. Also, from a biblical standpoint, the bible says that we won't know when or how the world will end. It can't possibly be predicted, from that standpoint anyways. Personally, I think it'll end on December 22, right after we take a deep breath and think we're safe.
"The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe."
Proverbs 18:10

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

"No man knoweth the hour"

Harold Camping seems to think differently...maybe in one of those universes the world DID end 5 days ago in a fiery apocalypse.

Scrathy
Trustee

Post by Scrathy »

Stephen Hawking's theory:

Make an invintation to anyone in the future. Invite only yourself and the person from the future, dont invite anyone else. This invintation will be a nice dinner party with you in 2 hours. You seal the invintation somewhere safe so it can be unopened, unread for a very long time. Wait till the 2 hours pass by and see if anyone shows up to your dinner party.
If no one shows up, then time travel dosent exist.
If someone does show up, then time travel exists and youll be famous on every news station.

Dont say anything about the invintation being discoverd before time travel is invented, there are ways to make sure something dosent get read before a set time.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

tylerthecreator5

Post by tylerthecreator5 »

If you think about time travel were already doing it because were advancing into the future and if it were possible to go back in time that would be very helpful i wonder if well ever get the chance to do it in my oppion give it 40 to 50 years to grow and develop and MAYBE just maybe time travel will be possible correct me if you think im wrong but im 50% sure im not
Lololol now you know i've wasted your time

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

Time travel is possable, only not the way SF see's it.

Our satalites in space allraedy doing it.

Smokeybacon
Trustee

Post by Smokeybacon »

Why are we still talking about this?

And some certain people's grasps of physics are alarmingly bad... :skeptical:
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: my dad is an arkansas goveren
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and iwe are suing skittles
[02:29] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and we may file a lawsuit against fcraft