User programmed NPCs

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!
CodyLewis

User programmed NPCs

Post by CodyLewis »

This idea is primarily inspired by Ollie's idea for having a quest guild, if we could somehow create NPCs with dialogue for you to communicate, it would integrate a level of depth for needed to create quests with rewards and such, also, it could populate villages and give it an even more village-esk feel, perhaps you could program them to be farmers etc, i don't know if theres a mod for it, but if there isn't and we have coders, i would say the style of dialogue creation would work best as the way Avatar Legends for the 360 has it set up, ideas?

cdferg
Trustee

Re: User programmed NPCs

Post by cdferg »

:skeleton: - "hello i'm a happy skeleton just harvesting wheat. welcome to my village. could you help me get rid of this pesky spider problem? here, take this sword. it ought to do the trick. i have this potion for you if you succeed."
doberman411: I now know that I feel a bit of relief every time the landing gear of my plane lifts off of the runway knowing that I'm one step closer to freedom.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

This has and is being worked on. It isn't a small task, and NPC's will likely be in the trustee's control.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

There are NPC and quest plugins for Bukkit, aren't there?
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

I remember seeing a server about it, and it probably should be trustee controlled, but I would love to be able to just see NPCs roaming around cities and being able to talk to them, it kinda gives the game a purpose with quests too.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

There are, Lim, I'll have a look later, but this probably will require Spout which is screwed at the moment. Time will tell.

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

Soo its a good possibility?

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

It's an inevitability. Hafnium will be working on a questing plugin that handles NPCs. I can throw on Citizens quite easily, but I don't want to go all out on configuring it until Hafnium decides what he wants to do. I mean, Citizens does have an API and whatnot so he doesn't have to reinvent the wheel but we'll be running Hafnium's NPC mod over this one any day. I'll have a think about it.

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

Like I said, the best style for quests and dialogue would be how Avatar Legends does it for the 360, Avatar Legends is an RPG building game where you can make quests, enemy groups, etc. So it kind of got me used to making quests via dialogue triggers and events, and item triggers and events, etc., if you have a 360 I highly suggest it, its a blast, it even has a 10 hour campaign made by the owner, if not, check it out on youtube, its a great source of ideas.

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

http://www.youtube.com/user/BarkersCrestStudio
these guides are straight from the maker.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

I know how to use it. That wasn't the problem, the problem was if it is even worth putting them on as it may be temporary. Well whatever, we have some experimental NPCs running around Initus.

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

really? I'll have to go check!