Stop messing with seeds!

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!

What would you do?

Nothing
2%
Wipe, start again
5%
Wipe, copy Initus and minimal others
27%
Wipe, copy ALL the things and transfer ALL the hidden config
2%
Slowly phase to a new map (w/ multiworld)
61%
Make a new main world, leave current as secondary
2%
Other (Specify below)
2%

Total votes: 56

Ollieboy
Trustee

Stop messing with seeds!

Post by Ollieboy »

Ladies and gents, as I have been generating new chunks to fill out the black spaces in the Dynmap I have noticed JUST how much the new seed fucked us.

I have unearthed three, THREE jungles in the main world, because that is where they would have naturally occured. This has left horrible unblended biomes and JUNGLES on the map. This is quite shit after I put so much work into allowing access to a Jungle world for you guys to experience the new stuff, only to have it haphazardly already added to the current map.

Now, how to remedy this situation?

The current map is...horrible. There is nothing natural about it any more, and this disappoints me. Jeb wanted to add a new biome after the game was officially fucking released, which broke our long standing "permanent" map.

So, what should we do? I am going to put it to you guys for shits and giggles to see what YOU would do in my position. This will not indicated the future of the map, however, but just some thoughts. So, fire away. Note that I seriously don't want to do things like transfer ALL the Citizens and ALL the WorldGuard zones and ALL the Pailstone EVERYTHING. Therefore, it is unlikely, but Initus would define the new map's spawn, and things like Salvezza and other main cities and builds would come across.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

McLaughlinKid
Anyone can have this, I don't want it.

Re: Stop messing with seeds!

Post by McLaughlinKid »

Honestly a new map wouldn't be that bad, because of all the cities that no one cares about. But people that put time in should be copied over. Maybe a small fee to pay to bring your city into the new map.
11:25 PM <CMB> M1_Abrams: Beard, I wrote that you are my favorite rapper, can you rap?
11:26 PM <CMB> TheBeardmaster: i can rap on the fly, i just gotta get a li'l high, which ain't so hard, you just gotta try

PyroPyro

Post by PyroPyro »

I vote on "Wipe, copy Initus and minimal others", but using the "w/ multiworld" method. There are so meny towns that are empty and just taking up space. Copy over Initus and other stuff that has efford to it... :3

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

Problem: A fucked up main world, we wanna 'get rid off'.

- Nothing
And have ugly stuff in the main world, not talking about builds, but the actual map!
No way.

- Wipe, start again
Not a option, for loads of people.

- Wipe, copy Initus and minimal others
Could do, but i think loads of people will hate us for that.

- Wipe, copy ALL the things and transfer ALL the hidden config
Huge loadwork all at once. Not my fav.

- Slowly phase to a new map (w/ multiworld) (my vote)
Better then making a new world and leave the current as secondary.
Why? People spread to much over to much worlds then. Having multiple 'homes' in all the worlds etc etc. And we can sack the jungle world as well (in time).

- Make a new main world, leave current as secondary
See above.

- Other (Specify below)
Putting in loads of work to make them fit... i think its nicer to have 1 world.

Putting it all together:
- Have multiworlds for a few months.
- At first only for trustee(supop?)+ to transfer spawn etc. Zone stuff.
- Small builds, have to transfer to the new world themselfs.
- Bigger cities, need to find a new location, we can copy if the city allowes.
- Everybody has his own pase of moving, not heaps of work at once.
- We have a new fresh map, with all the biodomes on 1 map.
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

PyroPyro wrote:There are so meny towns that are empty and just taking up space. Copy over Initus and other stuff that has effort to it
That ^

Let's face it. People will get mad no matter what happens. Have the copied builds on a new world using multiworld and slowly transition people from the current one to the new one.

Maybe close it off at first until pasting is done, then maybe open it up sooner to those that wish to move. Let them get a head start and find places to live.
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Aleries
Trustee

Post by Aleries »

KingCrab wrote:...a new world using multiworld and slowly transition people from the current one to the new one. ...
Copy Initus and quest related stuff to a new world and give players time to move resources over to the new world. If people want to whine about their builds tell 'em to ask Jeb "Why are biomes so sporadic?"
I'll go where ever my mind takes me.

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Part of me wants to say yes, because I like starting on virgin territory. Having said that, I'd have to appose any kind of sudden map change, because there is nothing to say it won't happen again. Realistically, it WILL happen again because minecraft will always be getting updates. No matter how many times we change map, we're going to get empty cities, ugly stuff and everything we dislike; but if its making people happy, then why would we want to ruin their time on the server because of the way something looks? That should be a low priority. There is no easy option, and there is no correct option, because everyone will ultimately have different views and opinions. So, why not let them choose? Not between either one or the other and then have the other half disappointed, but let them choose at any given moment they're playing the game. I vote for slowly phasing to a new map (w/ multiworld). This is a temporary fix, to a permanent problem & is probably the best suited one in terms of fairness and functionality.
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Wundsalz
Trustee

Post by Wundsalz »

Taking the enormous size of the world into consideration, a couple of ugly, unblended chunk borders in the middle of nowhere isn't a gamebreaker that requires an immediate reaction. Most people won't even notice it for a long time (if at all).
Nevertheless I don't believe in the concept of a "permanent map" in general. Shit happens, players come and go (leaving messy deadspaces behind) and new stuff gets available which either requires fresh starts or workarounds (like your jungle world).
My point is: In the long run we'll need a new map anyway - your recent discovery just illustrates that. The generation of a new main map would be a good opportunitiy to execute other major changes as well. So take your time for planning the next move - we're not in a hurry.

one thought about a "fixing" option:
Did you make backups of the map/entire server before upgrading it to 1.2?
if so - would it be possible to generate the missing chunks over there and copy them over to the current map?

on a more personal note: I want my two mayor builds to be preserved somehow.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Well they change with every update, even the last Beta version to Full Minecraft 1.0, there was fucking up even with no new biomes. While that suggestion is intelligent, it is more than a few being screwed up. My main concern was that now we have jungles in the main world. That should not have happened, and that was the reason I busted my ass with the new Jungle World + quest.

However it is full of banned and inactive players' incomplete pieces of crap. I am happy to try and organise a slow transition, but I will just leave it for now.

What I want is to hear from some of the lesser active forum users, so if you see regular players in game, direct them to this post.

rwojy
Trustee

Post by rwojy »

There really isn't any easy solution to this, because shit happens. Minecraft is going to keep being updated for the foreseeable future, and this situation will happen many more times. All of the solutions have good and bad points, and whichever one chosen will alienate some players, except perhaps just ignoring it and continuing on, but that doesn't solve anything. I personally prefer new map and bring salvezza and initus over, but I'm a small minority there. The best solution for most players is probably the phasing out of the map, eventually closing it down but maybe allowing it to be downloaded by players that want it.
etc

JustOnePanda
OP

Post by JustOnePanda »

Personally, I wouldn't mind a new map change, so long as all the major cities are brought over, like Initius and Armatia. It could be good for the server, with all the ghost towns and all.
"a person's dream are meant to be fulfilled not crushed and these words I am typing from the 3DS are from my heart"
-SSJGoten22

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Downloading won't be possible. We are not hosting, and many places will not host non-p2p files of that size. It's like a 5GB map. The phase will be likely. I'll paste over Initus to the new map, spend time calibrating it, blending it etc. and since I am likely having to redo all the quests and NPCs when Citizens 2.0 comes out that is probably a good time to do it, and then gradually open it up to ranks and shit.

I dunno, we'll see, but the map isn't just fucked with biomes. It's hard to go anywhere in the first 2000 blocks from Initus zone without encountering somebody's temporary wood hut.

tomsplz3
SupOP

Post by tomsplz3 »

Slowly phase to a new map (w/ multiworld)

thats my vote

FreeBro
Trustee

Post by FreeBro »

I voted after thinking about it on slowly phase to a new map (w/ multiworld).
This will be the best for everybody because they got time to move all there stuff
and if possible the staff can offer to copy the really good builds over to a new chosen location.
ollieboy: everyone here is a shrimpy nerd, you can take us.

[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 I just swam across the entire ocean
[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 drowned
[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 WELP

zytin619

Post by zytin619 »

i agree will freewill.copy only the good builds and not just a 10x10 build.and question will all the cities like melonopolis or Alexandria be brought over to the new map?
Pavoneo-there's a 3 pointed cube?
Nuclearwaffle121-pav yea it's called a triangle.

JustOnePanda
OP

Post by JustOnePanda »

zytin619 wrote:cities like melonopolis
I would not enjoy that, if that does become an option in the future.
"a person's dream are meant to be fulfilled not crushed and these words I am typing from the 3DS are from my heart"
-SSJGoten22

zytin619

Post by zytin619 »

JustOnePanda wrote:
zytin619 wrote:cities like melonopolis
I would not enjoy that, if that does become an option in the future.
lmao it was just an example :P
Pavoneo-there's a 3 pointed cube?
Nuclearwaffle121-pav yea it's called a triangle.

TheBeardmaster
SupOP

Post by TheBeardmaster »

I'm going to assimilate some of what previous posters have said into my post.

The problem with empty towns, etc, could definitely be solved with phasing. Over the course of a few weeks to a month, or whatever, we give players a chance to ask to get their builds moved, provided they're a significant investment of time/effort. This way, players are happy they get to keep what they've built, and ghost towns just won't get copied over.

Likewise, with the temporary multiple worlds, players could transfer their OWN materials over, thus saving you effort and keeping them happy.

And Ollie, keep in mind - if you have multiple worlds going, you don't have to transfer worldguards, citizens, etc all in one day. You can spread it out over a month (or whatever), so it doesn't get too stressful.

That's my two cents.

Bonus Pig: :pig:
So apparently some people made a movie about me....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGWmUPuvlso

Gaberion

Post by Gaberion »

I choose for slowly phase, so we can move our stuff easily over.
We will get sooo much new seeds and recourses.
New things to mine and shit :D
And everything will be a bit cleaned again.
There are so much ugly and non used structures in this map.
But i have one question:

Subject: saving Alexandria by copeing it to the new world.

Question:Can my city be saved?
And its country side, with small farms and villages.

Reason: There live people in my city and they all payed for their houses.
They all would like it if their houses would be saved.
I have put a very long time in the city, like a 100 hours, and i think it is a pitty if that time is wasted.
I also got some great plans for Alexandria. I made designs in single player.
And i drew them later on.
The designs have taken some time, and i would really enjoy it to build them in the new map.
That will be a lot easier with new resources.
But most important I hope that i can help people in the new map who lost their houses.

I am willing to give aurei.
And i have some investors who are wanting to pay.
I also will ask my citizens to help me.

:pig: :sheep: :chicken: :cow:
Last edited by Gaberion on March 24th, 2012, 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Once.... Cats will rule! :3
Lollipop78202: ! <3 Gabbebee
gaberion: ofc <3
Lollipop78202: <3
Lollipop78202: gaabbee <3
gaberion: loolll
gaberion: <3
Scootyrooty: Awh, true love <3
Lollipop78202: dduude, if you look like an owl u can go for
Lollipop78202: freicken president

surferdudeX
SupOP

Post by surferdudeX »

TheBeardmaster wrote:I'm going to assimilate some of what previous posters have said into my post.

The problem with empty towns, etc, could definitely be solved with phasing. Over the course of a few weeks to a month, or whatever, we give players a chance to ask to get their builds moved, provided they're a significant investment of time/effort. This way, players are happy they get to keep what they've built, and ghost towns just won't get copied over.

Likewise, with the temporary multiple worlds, players could transfer their OWN materials over, thus saving you effort and keeping them happy.

And Ollie, keep in mind - if you have multiple worlds going, you don't have to transfer worldguards, citizens, etc all in one day. You can spread it out over a month (or whatever), so it doesn't get too stressful.

That's my two cents.

Bonus Pig: :pig:
I couldn't agree more with this. I feel like some people have done so much work on their cities/houses that slowly transferring them to a new map would probably be the best bet(in my opinion) and theres also plenty of cities which no one uses and are now just wasting valuable space.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Building is practically what this game is about, what is wrong with building something new.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

JustOnePanda
OP

Post by JustOnePanda »

I agree with khan, it's always fun to start a new home or city, and it's always good to have a fresh start. But with that, I'd prefer if transfer chests were allowed if we have a fresh start to a map.
-SSJGoten22

Wundsalz
Trustee

Post by Wundsalz »

JustOnePanda wrote:I'd prefer if transfer chests were allowed if we have a fresh start to a map.
transfer chests require a shitload of organisation. It'd be far more comfortable for everyone to just allow people to keep their inventories on worldchange.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Gaberion

Post by Gaberion »

I also wont Take ugly shit with me.
Only projects i put much time in and what i want to go ferther with.
like my dockyards, the altstadt, some new houses, my new city part and my skycastle.
the rest ill delete myself, so i get the recourses back...
I would really like it to make a fresh start. I just want to take the beautiful things with me.
Once.... Cats will rule! :3
Lollipop78202: ! <3 Gabbebee
gaberion: ofc <3
Lollipop78202: gaabbee <3
gaberion: loolll
gaberion: <3
Scootyrooty: Awh, true love <3
Lollipop78202: dduude, if you look like an owl u can go for
Lollipop78202: freicken president

Atoxiclunchbox
SupOP

Post by Atoxiclunchbox »

I voted slowly phase over. What i'm worried about is what stuff we can bring over, and if there will be a limit on the amount we can bring. Also, if my jail could be brought over.
sennec: no, the question is, how did you randomly mine towards those diamonds
sennec: cheater
flashman45: And btw I have special speakers
flashman45: I mean headphones
flashman45: They make a noise when I face diamonds and lava and water

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Mining is also kinda what this game is about, what's wrong with mining. something. new.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

The problem with moving the "builds with effort" is that very few people will tell you their build required minimal effort or isn't worth moving as you've seen from the past few posts. Thus causing people to throw a fit in which they will be kindly told to get over it.

A new map opens new opportunities.
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Well the thing is that I won't be organising transfer chests or whatever for the "new world" if we phase in. I will just look after my own shit first like Initus or whatever and you guys can explore and think about your new places and whatnot and gradually move your things over, remembering to spread out way more this time.

Then people can apply for a transfer or something and if I like the thing I will bring it across but as for people like you Gaberion I would take certain things over, but not like, the whole island. But Sanjar is right, it will be yet another "new beginning" I guess. I won't promise a permanent map like I did with this one of course, since we now know how unstable Minecraft development is.

I dunno, I won't be as strict as last time but there isn't much point in making a new map if we're going to have a fuckload of uneven square pasted-in chunks.

tomsplz3
SupOP

Post by tomsplz3 »

with using multiworld we could infact have new maps every 6 months or so.cause you would just phaze in a new map over a period of 1 maybe 2 months and the good builds get moved over.

as for cities. spawn city, kings city , the star city(cant think of the name) and skydem those should be copied over they are the good ones.

as for inventories they need to be moved by the individuals

Xb0x4d4m
OP

Post by Xb0x4d4m »

Hey.

For this i would think of starting a new map, but if anyone wants there previous house/village just copy it over.
<FCB2> lionboy98: xbox is ur brother ps3