The Future of fCraft's Services

Discuss anything that doesn't fit other categories here.
Ollieboy
Trustee

The Future of fCraft's Services

Post by Ollieboy »

Recently the owners got together and had a meeting regarding the development of gameservers with respect to the server upgrade. This will be completed by the 10th of October at the absolute latest (when our current server will be shut off).

This is what was decided:

The current SMP server is too resource heavy for the amount of people that want to play it, so to better capitalize on the resources provided by the new server we are going to split the different Minecraft gaming experiences into the following four gameservers (plus smaller, casual gameservers).

SMP Server

This gameserver will be a hardcore version of survival, with large emphasis on PvP and PvE. It will not be particularly oriented around building, and as such it will have very different rules regarding property, stealing and grief. It will likely launch on day one of the new server.

Hafnium and Hit_Girl will be managing the development of this gameserver.

CMP Server

Status: Beta Testing (Select group of players testing all components)

The mechanics of CMP will parallel that of fCraft software as close as practically possible using a range of plugins. The general overarching theme is multiworld (per rank groups) with the same rank structure. The Guest world will be flat and divided into plots (as you may have seen in other CMP servers) with certain restrictions (like water/lava, etc.) and upon being promoted, enter into the main mechanic of a flatland map and a generated map for each rank. These will be archived and one will be active at any time. Small personal worlds MAY be donatable-for, alternatively a plot in a "donator" map might be more likely. Be aware that subject to resource usage this system may change.

Ollieboy and Wundsalz will be managing the development of this gameserver.

Tekkit Server

Status: DONE! Apply for the whitelist in the Appeals and Applications section!

Tekkit was ran as a test as many of you know, and we will be capitalising on it as a full gameserver for as long as it is popular, to offer an alternative take on Minecraft. It will have much more configuration effort into it to stop people breaking the fun like you all did with the test, and still be limited in ranks. It will be whitelisted (apply for the whitelist here) as it will still be dangerous.

The server will be heavily focused on TEAMWORK. The current version of SMP and indeed the new one will be very focuses on killing everything, as a team or not, but in this version of tekkit you will be pitted against incredibly powerful mobs, meaning that striking out on your own is an incredible challenge. It's best to not make player enemies, as the mobs will give you enough trouble as it is. Using the tools at your disposal in the tekkit pack is paramount to success, and building fancy shit is just what Minecraft is all about. It will likely launch on day one of the new server.

Ollieboy and rwojy will be managing the development of this gameserver

RPG Server

Status: Early development (map is being prepared manually, will not be in Alpha testing for some time)

This gameserver will be yet another alternative way to play Minecraft. It will use powers of plugins such as Citizens, McMMO, and require the use of the Spoutcraft client at this stage (to allow for custom skins on NPC's, custom blocks etc.) to provide an experience to mimic that of a standard single player RPG (quests, fighting, skills instead of building). As such, there will be NO building for the average player of this server, and if we trust you, you can help us build the world via application or something. This server will use some very unique mechanics to convey the story that it is focused on. This gameserver will take much more time than the others to be ready for play.

Ollieboy and SanjarKhan will be managing the development of this gameserver.

Classic

Our Classic freebuild server will continue running as always. The rules, rank structure, and purpose of this gameserver will be exactly the same, and we will continue running the fCraft server software, naturally.

Non-Minecraft Stuff

First of all, community development will be done by Scootabyte and Allie, which will involve slight changes to forums, channelling everything through "fCraft.net" to make a prettier, more user-friendly hub for the player (with links to our services, and other useful tools and stuff like statistics and all that) instead of this old boring forum.

Other small gameservers are also planned to be properly managed, like Terraria, King Arthur's Gold, Ace of Spades, KillingFloor, and things like that. A highly suggested one that will likely not make the cut is Team Fortress 2. This was discussed in our meeting, and it is low priority in terms of resource as the other games are a lot more casual, and TF2 requires constant updating and realistically, only people with a good ping in the European area will be able to get the full benefit. We'll see how we go after everything else is up.

Please be aware that fCraft isn't "dying". This term has been thrown around here and there, and it motivated us to provide a much better gaming experience with you, relying on this new server package coming soon. With that in mind, please bear with us as services go up and down during the migration and the testing phase.

This process will require input from the community, things like helping to test servers, user input and whatnot will be greatly appreciated, along with patience with the owners (as we are all busy as fuck outside of setting up all this new stuff).

So please! If you have any questions or suggestions, throw them at us, but the overall scope of stuff is set in it's way. Go team!
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Re: The Future of fCraft's Services

Post by Lim-Dul »

A little update:

Instead of just nice assurances and promises about the upcoming upgrade, I finally got a little breather at work (I was supervising 5 projects at one time doing an average of 13-14 hours a day plus weekends, so please bear with me) and the new server has been ordered!

It is currently being set up and will be online soon. The old server will be taken down on 2012.10.11, so we have over a month to sort things out and move one service at a time to the new machine.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

Allie

Post by Allie »

Don't forget Classic! The Classic freebuild server will still be around and will function the same as always.
<CMB> KingCrab72: Some mixture and contrast would be nice tbh Ollie
<Ollieboy> Some mixture and contrast of your face on my penis would also be nice

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Of course! Silly me, edit my post, I cant do it very easily from my phone right now.

TheBeardmaster
SupOP

Post by TheBeardmaster »

Excellent post, Oliver. Glad the info is organized and all in one place.
So apparently some people made a movie about me....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGWmUPuvlso

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Too bad we'll still have people making new topics asking about it
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Smokeybacon
Trustee

Post by Smokeybacon »

I still play KAG regularly and am willing to help with managing a server.
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: my dad is an arkansas goveren
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and iwe are suing skittles
[02:29] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and we may file a lawsuit against fcraft

PrestoBlue

Post by PrestoBlue »

Rumors say SMP is getting a new map at the start of the new services. Is that true? :(
<+CMB> _Kittle_*: I just logged in to say that I 100% approve of Presto_Blue's last 3 farts in the past 5 minutes.

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

SMP will be split up into new services. It won't be the traditional style like we have now. The new servers will consist of Creative Multiplayer, Hardcore Survival, Tekkit, and a RPG server. These will all call for new maps. So as far I can guess/have heard, yes, there will be a fresh map.

valleycat14

Post by valleycat14 »

Why cant we keep the server so we can keep on building :( Why cant we keep the same server :( Some one please give me a reply :(
Last edited by valleycat14 on September 1st, 2012, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nope__avi

Post by nope__avi »

valleycat14 wrote:Why cant we keep the server so we can keep on building :( Why cant we keep the same server :cow: Some one please give me a reply :'(
Because these servers will be better?
nope__avi

boblol0909
SupOP

Post by boblol0909 »

I'm excited for the cmp server. Will there be a whitelist for it too like there is for tekkit?

PrestoBlue

Post by PrestoBlue »

I 100% agree with valley. I wish smp wouldn't change to hardcore pvp stuff :( Alot of people also agree.
<+CMB> _Kittle_*: I just logged in to say that I 100% approve of Presto_Blue's last 3 farts in the past 5 minutes.

valleycat14

Post by valleycat14 »

Why can we keep smp the same and make another server for hard-core survival :(

valleycat14

Post by valleycat14 »

Ollie why cant we keep smp the same :(

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Because everyone worked very hard to come up with a plan that would make you cry.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Well valleycat, first of all for fuck's sake, be patient. I have to sleep SOME time.

Also, the current version of SMP has been how it is for the last 2 years, and it is outdated. The primary reason is that your "Lots of people that agree" are less than 5 people. We are missing out on MANY people playing who just want to build and not get killed (the reason for CMP), and people who seem to JUST want to kill things and get lots of xp (reason for hardcore). There were plenty of people who joined us with tekkit so that will happen, and RPG is a project I have wanted to do for a long time.

I understand that you don't want things to change, but they are going to. I'm sorry if that means we will lose you but we are missing out on far more players who WANT this new system.

PrestoBlue

Post by PrestoBlue »

Well first of all building with creative in not really fun you can just do singleplayer and it is MORE than 5 that don't want this change to smp. or u could make all the changes & add a regular smp -.-

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

What you meant was building in creative isn't fun for YOU. I have a fuckload more people than 5 wanting a CMP server for casual building with dynamic lighting, redstone and 400%% more blocks than freebuild.

I COULDN'T just make all the changes and add regular SMP, because we would be strained on our new server's resources and strained on my management in terms of time. Surely you can admit that the server activity has severely died in the last few months. All people do on this server is sit in mob grinders and cry about who killed who.

burn22
OP

Post by burn22 »

Im really looking forward to the cmp server.
I had the oppurtunity to test the mod Wundsalz is working on, a few month ago.
I almost feeled like playing with Wom on FB but just with a lot lot lot more blocks
and possibilitys. As far as i can tell, he has done a really good job with it.

I hope the mod will have a similiar rank system to FB, cause i really like this system.
So you will see me for sure alot on cmp, if its finaly on.

PrestoBlue

Post by PrestoBlue »

Sure....just sure.

valleycat14

Post by valleycat14 »

I like the regular smp it was fun now its going to get boring becuase everyone is going to kill each other and they'll get bored of it. So make another smp one for just hard-core and leave the survival smp alone. :( Why put singleplayer game modes into multiplayer ? Keep it the same but make a pvp arena for those who want to fight let the people get creative mode and let the rest of the people build and survive
Last edited by valleycat14 on September 2nd, 2012, 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

McLaughlinKid
Anyone can have this, I don't want it.

Post by McLaughlinKid »

valleycat14 wrote:I like the regular smp it was fun now its going to get boring becuase everyone is going to kill each other and they'll get bored of it
People wouldn't get bored of it. They made 4 different servers to appeal to everyone. PvP players would love hardcore. Builder would love CMP. And adventurers would like RPG. Then tekkit I really don't know much about it so I don't know who that appeals too.

valleycat14

Post by valleycat14 »

McLaughlinKid wrote:
valleycat14 wrote:I like the regular smp it was fun now its going to get boring becuase everyone is going to kill each other and they'll get bored of it
People wouldn't get bored of it. They made 4 different servers to appeal to everyone. PvP players would love hardcore. Builder would love CMP. And adventurers would like RPG. Then tekkit I really don't know much about it so I don't know who that appeals too.
so i like the survival smp better

McLaughlinKid
Anyone can have this, I don't want it.

Post by McLaughlinKid »

Ollieboy wrote:I COULDN'T just make all the changes and add regular SMP, because we would be strained on our new server's resources and strained on my management in terms of time. Surely you can admit that the server activity has severely died in the last few months. All people do on this server is sit in mob grinders and cry about who killed who.

Pemalite
Trustee

Post by Pemalite »

Wundsalz has put allot of work into CMP to make it very easy and seamless and I for one, cannot wait.
In-fact I'm loving *all* these changes, it's going to bring a breath of fresh air into everything.

And Valleycat, don't stress to much, you might find the changes are going to be for the better, you won't know until everything is set up and running, so until then just be patient and reserve your judgements.
Xecutioner91890: I wanna meet the owners that would be a dream !
<@hafnium> Fuck off

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

I'm sorry you feel that way valleycat but honestly you and Presto are the only ones who have come to me saying to not change it, when almost everyone else I have talked to says they would prefer a server for each game style. Nobody said that you have to play the new SMP ONLY, you will get your chance to drop into RPG, CMP and tekkit whenever you want.

Being a server that has EVERYTHING is a server that has nothing. People don't play it, and they have told me that they don't play on it because lots of other players abuse whatever they can, money hoarding, mob grinders, all that stuff. I appreciate you saying that you aren't looking forward to the new scheme, but it's just not something that is sustainable.

At the end of the day we need more donating players so we can keep up all this stuff, and a server with 5 players on it who are having an all right time is a lot less efficient in that way than 4 servers with 10 people each who are playing the game mode that THEY want to play, and not being FORCED to engage in others (like PvP and all that). Do you get what I'm saying?

Please note, the above was not "please donate all your money" or "donate and I will keep SMP the way it is", because that it not what is happening.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Who even said you can't play the way you like on the new smp server.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Whilst its documented as a Hardcore SMP, it won't be so far away from what we already have now, predominately survival aspects will be enhanced, making your 'survival' building more creditable. Give it some time, I guarantee that you'll agree with our changes, and for those who don't, deal with it. :flower:
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Pemalite wrote:In-fact I'm loving *all* these changes, it's going to bring a breath of fresh air into everything.
^
Ollieboy wrote:I have a fuckload more people than 5 wanting a CMP server for casual building with dynamic lighting, redstone and 400%% more blocks than freebuild.
He can probably tell you about 5 different occasions where I personally bugged the shit out of him for one.

The new servers will be a nice addition to fCraft considering it'll bring in a larger player base. It's always nice to get to know more people.