Realm Explorer

Discuss video games, films, clips, pictures, music, ponies and all kinds of other fun stuff here.
CodyLewis

Realm Explorer

Post by CodyLewis »

I recently ran across and upcoming game called Realm Explorer, currently being made by Realm Source. Realm Explorer has yet to release the alpha stage, however you can still buy the game for 50% of (9.98) and get access to the alpha upon release, around November 20th. Realm Explorer looks to be a toss up between Minecraft and Oblivion, this is just my observations from watching the youtube videos released by the developers. They currently have a following smaller than our own fCraft. Its an infinite map, you get to mine, chop, and craft. You can terraform. Currently I have yet to find any information about construction but I'm hoping its a component, and they promise extensive updates with the release of alpha, and since the game is has such a small following, your more likely to get your idea heard by a developer. Ideas such as construction, farming, fishing, maybe even a hook gun?

Here is the OFFICIAL RELEASE
Realm Explorer will be a computer game about creation in the fantasy universe of Gnostaria; your creations.

In perhaps the most dynamic sandbox world yet to be conceived you will be able to dig the soil and mine ore, precious metals and gems all in a beautiful and dynamic 3D world. The terrain will shape and form to your actions. Drive a shovel into the ground and watch the earth give way. Heave your pickaxe into a cave wall and see the stone disintegrate before you; revealing the treasure beneath. Go on adventures alone or with friends via internet multiplayer and craft weapons, armor, tools and other items. How you play is up to you. The possibilities are limitless.

Realm Explorer will be a computer game about creation in the fantasy universe of Gnostaria; your creations. In perhaps the most dynamic sandbox world yet to be conceived you will be able to dig the soil and mine ore, precious metals and gems all in a beautiful and dynamic 3D world. The terrain will shape and form to your actions. Drive a shovel into the ground and watch the earth give way. Heave your pickaxe into a cave wall and see the stone disintegrate before you; revealing the treasure beneath. Go on adventures alone or with friends via internet multiplayer and craft weapons, armor, tools and other items. How you play is up to you. The possibilities are limitless.

Generate unlimited unique worlds. Explore vast and interesting procedurally generated sandbox worlds set in the fantasy universe of Gnostaria.
Play online with friends via internet multiplayer or enjoy a single player world.
Built in server browser. Find other games or host your own.
Persistent game worlds. Play now and come back to the same world later, just as you left it. Multiplayer games can be hosted indefinitely online for public or private worlds.
Shape the terrain. Dig anywhere using shovels and pickaxes. Mine resources from natural caves, raise or demolish hills and mountains or construct tunnels.
Cut down trees to clear land and collect lumber.
Craft and create any item in the game. There are hundreds of weapons, armor, clothing and more. If it's in the game you can make it. Use the resources you gather to make new and better items.
Unique crafting system. Use a combination of 'hand tools' (e.g. hammers, scissors, saws) in your inventory and 'craft stations' (e.g. forges, anvils, looms, tanning racks) to construct different items.
Complete character customization. Change facial features, hair style, facial hair, skin color and more. Choose between either male or female characters.
See what you wear. Armor and clothing are visually represented on your game character on a piece-by-piece basis. Mix and match armor and clothing pieces for utility or style. You can wear a different boot on each foot or a different glove on each hand. Your character will look like what you are wearing.
Visible backpacks and belt pouches. Additional inventory-extending containers like backpacks, rucksacks, belt pouches and belt packs can be worn and are visually represented on your character.
Expand your inventory slots. Different types of containers will give you more usable inventory space.
RPG elements including character skills and character development. The more you perform actions the more your skills related to those actions increase. For a pure sandbox experience players can turn off skills and focus entirely on gathering resources and building.
Drop items. Pick them up later. Items you drop on the ground appear and can be seen or taken by other players (or NPCs).
Physics. Realm Explorer makes use of a physics engine for various gameplay elements.
Future game modes including multiplayer co-operative "Defense" mode, where players work together to hold off waves of incoming enemies, are planned.
Smash and destroy almost any item in the game.
Real-time action-oriented combat mechanics. One click = one swing.
Battle fierce enemies. From the common wolf or the mundane rat to incredible golems and horrifying undead.
Jump between offensive and defensive stances to block and parry attacks. Perform defensive maneuvers like kicks and shield bashes.
Wield hundreds of different weapons and use different weapon styles; swords, axes, maces, hammers, spears, javelins, bows, crossbows, daggers, knives, one handed weapons and giant two-handed weapons. If one weapon isn’t enough why not use two? Dual wield any two one-handed weapons for double the fun.
Find and collect rare items and artifacts.
Interact with friendly and hostile NPCs.
Participate in dynamically generated quests.
Experience a breathtaking dynamic weather system and dynamic day and night system.
Enjoy a brief, optional story campaign 'Gnostaria: Golem Wars' and take part in the exciting story of golem-kind throughout the realm. Can a golem really have a heart of gold?
And much more!

Admin Functions
Admin functionality is definitely something we keep in mind and the server UI has a lot of expected features already including:

Directly messaging players
Kicking connected plaeyrs
Banning players
Message of the Day on join
Setting up periodic messages players see (for example, letting players know about your website or any other message(s) you want every X minutes)
Event/chat logging
Server password protection
Listing server on master server list (or not, if you prefer)
Configuring max connected players
Configuring max characters per player account
Toggling "join" message on/off to announce when someone connects to the server
White List mode (only specific players in the white list are allowed to connect at all
Changing your server name
Copying settings from a previous server instance into a new server
Configuring how many CPU threads the CPU will use at max
Changing the server port
And more

The chat system has different voice ranges including whisper, talk and shout and there are also options for using global chat across the server. Options for further configuring your server preferences are in development (for example, setting up the default speak channel [talk vs global chat], disabling channels, etc.).

There's a lot more we can do but we've tried to get off on a good start with the admin functionality. On that note I should also mention that the stand alone server will be available for download regardless of whether you have the full game installed or not. You can freely host as many servers as you want. Suggestions for future functionality are always welcome.
Last edited by CodyLewis on November 19th, 2012, 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Re: Realm Explorer

Post by Ollieboy »

Wow looks pretty good. I'm a sucker for constructible/destructible environments in games. The setting looks good I'll have to check it out.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

All videos are at least six months old?
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

It gets released in 4 days and they've been pushing the release so I'm assuming it will be pretty cool if those videos are that old.

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

Here's a preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSB640Nm ... ata_player
Maybe released tomorrow or the 20th
You can get it half off (9.98) until the 20th.
Who will be with me?

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Yeah, sure, their technological accomplishment alone deserves a little backing.
It costs 16 euros for me though.
Edit: Nevermind I can't read properly.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

I bought two copies just in case someone wanted it but missed the pre-order window.

Code: Select all

Name:	 Sanjar Khan
Email:	 [email protected]
Phone:	 0631392872 ext. <-Actual old cell number try texting me I can't find the thing.
Address:	 The steppes of medieval mongolia.
I'm a nomad bro., XX 1
MNG

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

I hope Ollie got a copy!

StainlessBlood
Trustee

Post by StainlessBlood »

Looked pretty good, got myself a copy. Looking forward to trying it out.

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

This could be a great opportunity for us, they only have one main server they are going to run, the rest can be ran by players, and if we established our name there, as it grew, we could grow too.

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

Sorry for the double post! I just made the second group ever established in the game. If you signed up on the forum there, be sure to add me (CodyLewis) and request to join the forum at :
http://www.realmexplorer.com/group.php?groupid=2

EDIT: They changed my name just to Cody
Last edited by CodyLewis on November 19th, 2012, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

As I said to CodyLewis in PM, don't be too optimistic about a server launching tomorrow. This game hasn't even been played by the general public yet so the likelihood of a stable dedicated server software package is low. We might have the resources to sustain it, however since our financial standing isn't great right now I will make no long term guarantees. Also if our other servers get a burst of popularity RE would be the first to go, IF we were to look into installing it.

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Khan bullied me into buying it.
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

The amount of keystrokes and mouseclicks needed to perform such an action might give you some exercise

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

lmao well if we go on the main server as a group, we will run that s***.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

I made a group for this before realising Cody already had, but I set mine up a tiny bit more so Cody could you please get rid of the other group and I will give you moderation access to the new one? Alternatively if you catch me online sometime soon let me edit the group to standard. Cheers.

Group: http://www.realmexplorer.com/group.php?groupid=3

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Unplayable game.
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

It's a tech demo at the moment, not a game. Follow the development process. There is another game that has done that called The Deal Linger. It's about 6 months in front of RE, and check out that process. The system works.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

The Dead Linger.

Ollieboy
Trustee