Revival plans of smp!!!

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!
FreeBro
Trustee

Revival plans of smp!!!

Post by FreeBro »

Hello and welcome to a brainstorm pyro and me had (yes pyro had some ideas)
We were thinking about smp and we came up with the idea to go back to the good old days
When it wasn’t all about the moneys so here we go.

We where thinking about a server with:

Ranks
Visitor
Basic rights
1 home
Ability to join a town
2.5 monney/hour
Money cap: 250
1 lwc locks
/tpa access
Inherits from visitor
Automatic after 15 days (without incidents)
2 homes
Ability to start a town
2 lwc locks
Ability to start a shop
donator
inherits from member
has 3-4 homes
3 money/hour
Money cap still 250
4 lwc locks
2 shops
Inherits from member
Only thrustworthy ppl
/tp access
Basic hawkeye access
Owner
Has ALL the things

econnomy

with a basic economy that gives u 10 money when u join and gives u 2.5 money each hour to a max of 250. Ingame trading to go above that 250 but u can not generate money above 250.
Regarding pvp/griefing
We offer the towns plugin that prevents those things inside the purchased land (aka town) the rest of the world would be pvp and griefing enabled. To make a town and expand it to a max size people will have to pay money, now in those towns u can live with multiple people to make obtaining land more easyer.

Spawn town

I would host a contest on cmp to get people to design us a nice small spawn town.

In this town I would leave space for

Telleportations to towns (towns must pay to obtain a tp to their town)

Guilds
- new and improved redstone guild
- caving guild (pumkin spelunkers?)
- architectural design guild
- quest guild (see quest section)

Quests

I would make the ability to do some minor quests that takes u around towns so that u
1. get to know the different towns
2. that u obtain a basic equipment to get a better head start

plug-ins (currently required)
- worldguard
- worldborder
- towny
- votifier
- other money plugin
- world edit
- Coreprotect
- easy warps
- craftirc
- lwc

all other input is greatly appreciated

(this post is scoot aprooved)
Last edited by FreeBro on July 6th, 2013, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ollieboy: everyone here is a shrimpy nerd, you can take us.

[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 I just swam across the entire ocean
[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 drowned
[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 WELP

Aleries
Trustee

Re: Revival plans of smp!!!

Post by Aleries »

I think this will be a good initiative as long as two things are considered along the process. First that the list of plugins that are going to be used does not expand beyond what is proposed above. We always run into the problem of us waiting for some random plugin to update before we can move to a new version.

Second that these inter-town warps should cost something to use. Not really expensive, but at the same time something that makes the player question whether the money is worth it compared to spending the little extra time of foot travel.
I'll go where ever my mind takes me.

McLaughlinKid
Anyone can have this, I don't want it.

Post by McLaughlinKid »

I like the idea but I don't think the donator rank is fair. I thought you couldn't pay for things that werent normally atainable in game? Other then that I'd love to go back to the days when SMP was like that.
11:25 PM <CMB> M1_Abrams: Beard, I wrote that you are my favorite rapper, can you rap?
11:26 PM <CMB> TheBeardmaster: i can rap on the fly, i just gotta get a li'l high, which ain't so hard, you just gotta try

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Well the server isn't exactly paying for itself.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

towny vs precious stones....

And i would increase the LWC to more locks for each ranks.

Also a 'veteran' rank is nice to have, once you have member, you have nothing to get then.

There are tons of 'leveling' mods out there like mcMMO. I like the idea of some, gives you more goal to do something, specialsation. Like i wanna be in the top 10 of fishing!

Any maybe a nice mod to start guilds/factions. So people can see what 'town' you joined..
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

Darklight
SupOP

Post by Darklight »

Sure, talking about revival plans and brainstorming is all good, but can you actually make it happen? When push comes to shove, is this going to work? Sorry to be the pessimist of the group, but its a necessary question.

LiamRayStanley
OP

Post by LiamRayStanley »

After dealing with many LARGE server owners, and their opinions on lots of plugins, here are some of mine.

- WorldGuard - Good for many things, including basic removal of normal features (Creeper block damage for example), and zoning of areas (With flags, like entry allowing/denying, building, etc)
- WorldBorder - Great. Keeps map files under 1GB (I've had this happen before), and prevents players from maliciously making the server more space intensive (Even IF it isn't a big deal)
- Towny - Only good for the ability to show zones on Dynmap but I don't see many servers using this compared to Factions (Way more popular)
- Votifier - Woo! Use this in accordance with Some of the other plugins using Votifiers API, and we can give money (Or items) to users that vote for us! (Money preferred, to prevent an overflow of a certain item)
- advanced Eco - haven't heard of too many Economy plugins, especially not this one. The most popular one is iConomy (Which is abandoned as i make this post). I can't really make an input on this plugin without using it first hand.
- WorldEdit - Yes. Not only WE, but things like VoxelSniper, for users that are of permission rank to build things for the server.
- Hawkeye - No. Use Hawkeye Reloaded (Also has ability to log WE commands, but it is MySQL intensive - A huge ass write for a single WE command) - Also has Web Interface, which can be handy for looking up info (For let's say, Supop+)
- Easy Warps - eh. the "/warp" command shouldn't be used, because in a way, makes things /too/ easy. using Multiverse (Multi-maps - was used before on the server), and Multiverse-Portals creates the previously common portals we had on the old SMP. (Water filled portals, with possible dual point teleporting)
- add irc plugin here - Easy. CraftIRC, which is still quite updated.
- LWC - This one went a long time without being updated, and was recently re-updated to a almost-new release. If this isn't updated, the close second would be Lockette.

Here are some of the very useful plugins that i have seen being used:
- BetterAlias - ability to map newly generated commands to other commands (different settings, for each amount of arguments) Good for mapping a long PEX promotion command to /prefix for example. (some useful tools it has are !1 (arg 1), !name (user executing the command), !1p, (auto fill a online username from a partial))

- Vault - API generalized hook system that a lot of plugins use. This is a common server plugin.
- PlayerHeads - The name pretty much says it all. This is for those hardcore style PvP players that enjoy their pride.
- PermissionsEx - The most popular customize-able permissions plugin.
- EasyRules - There are two different versions of this on plugins.bukkit.org, but only one that is very useful. Create custom rules with page/index's.
- ClearLag - A plugin that runs at a scheduled pre-set time, to remove ground items. Also, adds the ability to "group" items on the ground in to one drop rather then a crapton of them everywhere. It is VERY helpful to take the edge off.
- Citizens - NPC generator. Handy for spawn like we had back on the old SMP.
- One very important plugin - This plugin used to be CommandBook, which was perfect. Now, the abandoned plugin doesn't work fully, on Bukkit 1.5.2. (I've tested on a few servers.) The solution I have always used to solve this, is get Essentials, and edit the .jar to strip out some of the content in the plugin.yml (Removal of the idiotic type commands.)
- SignUtilities - If Essentials isn't used (has some sign utilities already in it), this plugin can fill in. Has sign formatting, along with [cmd] signs. Not only this, but the ability to map those [cmd] signs to button, levers, and pressure plates. (You can create a simple button that makes the user join a separate world for example)

One more thing I should bring into attention, is Bungee. Bungee is a server based proxy, where you can link MULTIPLE Minecraft premium servers into one. It does this by adding the ability to teleport through portals to different servers, and is almost as secure as the normal authentication method. It does this by making the "Lobby" server create a handshake with minecraft.net, polling the user as authenticated, and turning online-mode=off for the rest of the servers. This sounds secure, but what you do for the servers other then the lobby, is disallow them any connections other then the ones on localhost. (where Bungee runs)

You have secretly seen this on many servers. For instance, Shotbow is one of the more popular ones. They link over 70 single servers, into one connection. Totaling over 6000 users on a nice day. Praise jesus.

One more thing I'd like to bring to attention, is waiting for a Beta Bukkit release = Terrible. If you make daily backups, take one of those, run a test instance with the newest version and the latest plugins you can. There are a bunch of plugins that will update your plugins, if they notice they are made for the same version you're running. THIS IS THE BIGGEST FAULT WE HAVE.

Most of this is just my opinion, and I wrote this in hopes that maybe we can get a group together to try and piece back together fCraft SMP. What good is a server if 0 people get on a day. You can't get people to donate for a server you do not care to maintain.
<+FCB>Arvarna: i think your banhammer needs a downgrade

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

Nice wall of text, but i read it all.

Btw, i rather play on a temp smp server or a server thats 'not finished YET', then not play at all.
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

Jjb14

Post by Jjb14 »

I think this is a wonderful idea, and I'll add an idea of my own.
Intertoothh wrote:Also a 'veteran' rank is nice to have, once you have member, you have nothing to get then.
Very true, and considering if this was added it would only be a 6 rank system, why not make veteran a "more important" or "higher standard" rank? Maybe give veterans very basic moderation commands and make the rank harder to get. Just an idea.

But I'm all for it, and I would help make a spawn town if needed.
LeChosenOne: Sometimes when I'm alone I cover myself with mayonnaise and pretend I'm a snail.

Kent: I have 10 periods a day.

PrestoBlue

Post by PrestoBlue »

I would love to see SMP come back. In my opinion, the more like the previous the better but changes come. :) It was awesome before and I'm sure it would be a lot better now. Also, I think there should be more than the 4 planned ranks. Like Intertooth said a Veteran rank would be nice.
<+CMB> _Kittle_*: I just logged in to say that I 100% approve of Presto_Blue's last 3 farts in the past 5 minutes.