Hummm? Just wondered

Discuss anything that doesn't fit other categories here.
x_Nebula_x

Hummm? Just wondered

Post by x_Nebula_x »

Since you clearly aren't self hosted (hence the donations) I am thinking of making a server and I'm wondering where you rent your servers from. If there is a website could you please reply to this post with the name. Thanks. 8)
Man: did you know that each man, in some time of their life, will live next to a pedophile?
Another Man: well I sure don't, I live next to a CHARMING pair of 8yr olds

Kevinsweijen
SupOP

Re: Hummm? Just wondered

Post by Kevinsweijen »

We rent our root server from HostEurope. German company.
3 stages of sex life in a person's lifetime: Tri-weekly, try weekly, try weakly

<PyroPyro> afk touching my self while looking at the monies

x_Nebula_x

Post by x_Nebula_x »

Ok thanks very much :happycreeper:
Man: did you know that each man, in some time of their life, will live next to a pedophile?

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

They suck, dont host there.
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

x_Nebula_x

Post by x_Nebula_x »

Well I actualy looked at them before I made this post and decided I wouldn't use them but its fine now I'm decididing between, Red Ranger Hosting and The Minecraft Hosts but thank you for the reply kev. P.S. I still don't understand how I'll be abel to upload plugins to it if its not self-hosted, but I suppose I will find out soon enough. :D

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

I honestly don't think you should start renting if you don't know how to operate a server. There are better ways to spend your allowance.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Well, when it comes to uploading plugins and such... I think you have a misconception as to what "self-hosted" means.

If you think that most (if any!) Minecraft servers are hosted on someone's PC standing in the corner so they can have physical access to the machine, then you should do a bit more research.

Most people put their servers somewhere in a data center - whether they own the machine or just rent it - and then host Minecraft servers on them.

This is what I would call "self-hosted" since you have full control over the server and this is what we do - we install and configure everything as we please and via remote access you can do anything with a computer that you could do with it at home.

The other option is renting JUST a Minecraft server, where you have some preconfigured setup and minimal control over it. This is what e.g. Red Ranger Hosting and The Minecraft Hosts offer.

By comparison the second option is usually much more expensive for the value you're getting as well, since you're essentially re-selling a sub-service and thus another layer of profit margins comes in.

We could resell Minecraft servers if we so desired, actually. =)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

thelonedrummer18
SupOP

Post by thelonedrummer18 »

Lim-Dul wrote: We could resell Minecraft servers if we so desired, actually. =)
Let's do it.
berat13: Kitchen Accessories Ideas Try looking at http://www.kitchendesign1.co.uk. They have some amazing designs and prices.Kitchen Accessories Ideas

x_Nebula_x

Post by x_Nebula_x »

Lim-Dul, well then, so what your saying is if its rented by a company that u "buy" it off then you cant upload your own choice of plugins to it, yes? what place would you recommend me to "rent" a server from, because i want place where i can rent a server that i can upload any plugins into and it would be nice if it were reasonably cheap. i know that's asking allot but if you know a place that does that it would be nice to tell me or share the link, it would realy help me out with this whole thing. so would u recommend HostEurope to me? or is there a better one that u know of?

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

It depends how the hosting is set up. I didn't really look into limited option since we always wanted to go with a VPS/Root/Dedicated server, which we would have full control over.

I don't recommend Host Europe or any similar solution if you're not familiar with running servers and configuring operating systems in general.

x_Nebula_x

Post by x_Nebula_x »

so then who exactly 'runs' the server, like the guy that uploads all the plugins, basically the technical support guy? or is it a team of people? :?

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

For us? It's all the owners, so Ollieboy, Hafnium, fragmer, Astelyn and me.

For other hosts that offer only Minecraft Server hosting, it might be that you have to select from a list of preinstalled plugins and some kind of "tech support" would be handling your server, while you would have access to some kind of Web-Based server control UI for restarting/executing commands and so on.

x_Nebula_x

Post by x_Nebula_x »

so i would not have to worry about hackers and DoSS at all if i rent a server from e.g. Red Ranger, The Minecraft Hosts or Gizmoservers. because people would be taking care of that behind the seanes. baced on what u told me i think ill stick with one of these websites but thank you for explaining it to me :D

P.S. sorry i have terrible spelling

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

You can go ahead and not worry, that does not mean it won't ever happen.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

x_Nebula_x

Post by x_Nebula_x »

what i mean is that i will not have to take care of the things my self if a tech support team are effectively "getting paid" to keep my server up and running

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Well, no one is immune to e.g. DDoS and security breaches. We have a dedicated support team looking out for us too but that didn't stop us from being DDoSed. :-P

LiamRayStanley
OP

Post by LiamRayStanley »

Sanjar Khan wrote:There are better ways to spend your allowance.
<+FCB>Arvarna: i think your banhammer needs a downgrade

x_Nebula_x

Post by x_Nebula_x »

I'm not saying I'm immune just that I,myself will not have to take care of a DDoS attack if I hits my server

LiamRayStanley
OP

Post by LiamRayStanley »

x_Nebula_x wrote:I'm not saying I'm immune just that I,myself will not have to take care of a DDoS attack if I hits my server
Chances of you getting DDoS'ed are very slim. That is, as long as you operate a mature server, and only op/staff members that are experienced. Having immature staff can lead to pointless, idiotic bans, that give you even more 'bad' grudges. fCraft leads by example with great staff, and members. Those people that do get banned are ones that truly deserve it. Being said, our DDoS was probably someone that REALLY wanted us down. They have to be quite powerful to have that much bandwidth. (Or have enough money to buy a DDoS service).

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. And, if you do purchase a minecraft-server-host, they can't do much about DDoS either, except that is, block all access on your account. (i.e. host-europe)
<+FCB>Arvarna: i think your banhammer needs a downgrade

x_Nebula_x

Post by x_Nebula_x »

K thanks for all the info that I've gotten

:happycreeper: :D :happyzombie: :happyskeleton: :)