League of Legends Thread

Discuss video games, films, clips, pictures, music, ponies and all kinds of other fun stuff here.
Element_Equinox
Trustee

League of Legends Thread

Post by Element_Equinox »

Because we need moar gaming threads!

But no, seriously. For those of you who have never heard of it or don't know what it's about, it is a MOBA style game. The basic concept is you and a few others select a champion to play as (there are currently 100+ champions to choose from, and 10 freebies every week) and using a combination of strategy, skill, and luck, you beat the hell out of the other team. It is fairly fast paced and a somewhat tough game to get into at first (it takes some getting used to), but it is highly addicting and definitely worth your time to play. Oh, and did I mention it's free?

There are a few people in the community who play already, so if you'd like to join us, most of us are in the Europe-West server. Other then that, yeah. This is a thread to talk about LoL.

Need a link to download/play this awesome game? Well just click here.

Bit late for this thread, eh?
Ollieboy: I can fully understand the want for epeen so whatever.

Arkaunis
SupOP

Re: League of Legends Thread

Post by Arkaunis »

Its truly a great game. Wasn't a fan of those types of games, but stuck with it and I'm addicted.
Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest
White is cold and always yearning burdened by a royal test
Black the beast descends from shadows
Yellow beauty burns gold

Element_Equinox
Trustee

Also, just to add something to talk about, these are the champs I own. If you play, you should post yours as well.
Alistar; anyone with a youtube account gets this guy and a skin for him for free
Anivia; very high burst damage champ, dangerous if played right, passive is a second life
Brand; another mage, very combination based, good AoE potential
Elise; latest champ, very tricky to play, can destroy tanks in ridiculous speed
Ezreal; I'll be honest, I only got this guy because we was a popular choice. Barely use him
Garen; my starter champ, good off-tank, nice finisher
Katarina; strong assassin, can rape entire teams, very fun
Lee Sin; great fighter, excellent mobility/sustain, pokes reveal hidden champs
Master Yi; another starter, nice gap closer and ultimate, bit too common for my taste
Nocturne; my best champ, beast of an assassin, strong early game damage for great snowball potential
Shaco; complete troll, fun ultimate, but not a very solid champ
Shyvana; melee tank, not much damage overall, but she turns into a fucking dragon
Tryndamere; nice off-tank, cheap champ, high damage output
Viktor; god of a mage, great burst damage and CC, common choice for me in 5v5
Volibear; nice tank, can throw people and eat them, it's a bear with lightning. LIGHTNING.

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Oh boy! Luring out my LoL-rage again. :-P

LoL, compared to the other popular MOBAs like Dota 2 or HoN is an unbalanced pay-to-win (if you claim paying doesn't give you an advantage you're kidding yourself) pile of crap with an ultra-bad, inconsistent artstyle (not graphics - just the artstyle) and character animations that could have been made by students from the freshman year.

Pick Dota 2 - it's also free and it's easy to get into the "beta" (which isn't truly a beta). It also has 0 pay to win elements and no need to buy champions or bullshit "metagame" runes/skills, which is what a truly competitive team requires.

P.S. I actually do own a level 30 EU account with dozens of champions unlocked, so I know what I'm talking about. I used to come over to LoL from HoN to own the LoL players, who are, on average (not saying at the competitive level), much worse than ones from other MOBAs due to the much simplified gameplay.

P.P.S. What do we need a thread for for this shit game? There's not much you can discuss outside of the game that you cannot find elsewhere on the Internet. A Dota 2 thread would make as little sense.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Lim-Dul wrote:P.P.S. What do we need a thread for for this shit game? There's not much you can discuss outside of the game that you cannot find elsewhere on the Internet. A Dota 2 thread would make as little sense.
To organize proper matches, heck, when we get a ranked team together then it'll be even more useful for that.
Mostly though, it serves as an assurance that our community is interested in LoL, so its opening us up to new players as well (albeit not a proper advertisement). Hopefully, more people will give it a go, in which case this thread can then help with tips & tricks.

Lim, you should try ranked competitive matches now. I'd mostly agree, that the LoL players tend to be shitter than HoN + Dota, but high elo ranked matches; are insanely hard and do not fit with the general 'LoL players are shitter than Dota players' quota.
One last point, about the animations, you should try the more newer champs, they're coming on leaps and bounds in terms of being visually pleasing.

P.S. You mad 'cause bad. :chicken:
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Arkaunis
SupOP

Post by Arkaunis »

Feel free to post your usernames here as well. We mainly all have EU West accounts as far as I know.
Mine: Arkainus (Arkaunis was taken)
Lim-Dul wrote:unbalanced pay-to-win (if you claim paying doesn't give you an advantage you're kidding yourself) pile of crap with an ultra-bad, inconsistent artstyle
True, there are very unbalanced champs compared to others, but pay-to-win really only applies early on. It's nice satisfaction getting a champ you slaved over, playing countless games after games. Within a few select champs, I found myself easily leveling out with the playing field. Hell, I've seen the cheapest champs dominate.

I was given a DOTA 2 code thanks to Hit. Quite frankly, I'm afraid I won't like it as well because of the level of competition. I want to relax a little when playing, not become a serious no life at it. For a guy who never played a MOBA style game before, LoL is an excellent choice. Haven't given it a go yet, but never know how it'll be until I gibe it a go of course.

The art style is also a per-person thing. I personally happen to love the vibrant style. Greatest graphics? No. Then again, we obviously aren't here for graphics because our community is based around Minecraft :P

Lim-Dul wrote: P.P.S. What do we need a thread for for this shit game? There's not much you can discuss outside of the game that you cannot find elsewhere on the Internet. A Dota 2 thread would make as little sense.
Cause it's nice not to have to talk about hurr durr minecraft all the time. Not to mention, if you question this thread, I think there are quite a few threads you might want to question.

Besides, there are a couple games that I could easily ask "Why do we need a server for this shit game?"
:D
Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest
White is cold and always yearning burdened by a royal test
Black the beast descends from shadows
Yellow beauty burns gold

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Hit-Girl wrote:Mostly though, it serves as an assurance that our community is interested in LoL
Which it is not. =)
Lim, you should try ranked competitive matches now.
Why? I'm finished with LoL.
I'd mostly agree, that the LoL players tend to be shitter than HoN + Dota, but high elo ranked matches; are insanely hard and do not fit with the general 'LoL players are shitter than Dota players' quota.
All Dota2 matches are ranked, the ranks are just not shown, so you are always placed in properly tiered games.
P.S. You mad 'cause bad. :chicken:
I think after having seen you play Dota 2 and being what, 16:2 mid now vs you I can safely say about the quality of the LoL players and your skills. =)
I even jumped into LoL after two years of not having played it and lost to you only because I wasn't aware of the range of Fid's ult even though I out-leveled and out-farmed you easily and the second time you didn't bother to explain me the rules of solo-mid in LoL (e.g. that taking buffs and leaving lane is allowed, which is not the case in any other MOBA I know).
One last point, about the animations, you should try the more newer champs, they're coming on leaps and bounds in terms of being visually pleasing.

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Lim-Dul wrote: I think after having seen you play Dota 2 and being what, 16:2 mid now vs you I can safely say about the quality of the LoL players and your skills. =)
I even jumped into LoL after two years of not having played it and lost to you only because I wasn't aware of the range of Fid's ult even though I out-leveled and out-farmed you easily and the second time you didn't bother to explain me the rules of solo-mid in LoL (e.g. that taking buffs and leaving lane is allowed, which is not the case in any other MOBA I know).
Pfffft excuses. I suck at Dota, addmitedly, but have played it a ton less. The entire gameplay is different, just wait, we've not had a rematch at Dota for sometime, thus you can be excused thinking that you can beat me :D.
If you're willing to login on LoL for one last time, I'll happily put you you down again. To make things even more challenging, you can pick me any champion to play vs you!
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Hit-Girl, your attempts at bringing me back to the game are like someone trying to get another person to eat shit because they themselves like it.
I have 0 reason to return to that game. I played it for like a whole year already.

P.S. I also liked your initial attempt at making me solo-mid vs your level 30 fully runed Pantheon with a level 1 profile. The futility of such an endeavor (which I luckily escaped) actually highlights everything that is wrong with LoL, which doesn't offer a level playing field to players.

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Lim-Dul wrote: Hit-Girl, your attempts at bringing me back to the game are like someone trying to get another person to eat shit because they themselves like it.
I have 0 reason to return to that game. I played it for like a whole year already.
P.S. I also liked your initial attempt at making me solo-mid vs your level 30 fully runed Pantheon with a level 1 profile. The futility of such an endeavor (which I luckily escaped) actually highlights everything that is wrong with LoL, which doesn't offer a level playing field to players.
Genuinely lol'd. That would've been so entertaining. Getting to the point though, there is still a matchmaking system, all levels are matched with levels similar to theirs soo its not like I'd be playing against first timers, or even level 20's. Their system undoubtedly takes into account a wide array of things other than just that though.

I Think LoL is a great starting point for these games, and is, without doubt definitely a simplified version of Dota/Hon. Having said that, I still find LoL much more entertaining and enjoyable.

Element_Equinox
Trustee

For a thread in the entertainment section, this thread isn't very entertaining.

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

I like to troll all LoL-related discussions. I succeeded.

(Yes, semi-incorrect usage of that meme.)