The fCraft StarCraft Thread!

Discuss video games, films, clips, pictures, music, ponies and all kinds of other fun stuff here.
ruggedbear
Trustee

The fCraft StarCraft Thread!

Post by ruggedbear »

So, this doesn't exist yet. I feel like it has to.

Here's the place to discuss all things StarCraft. Anything from the original game, up through the current time. Be it BroodWar, WoL, anything you like.

Post your rank, your race, your name, your SC history. Post any epic replays you may have stumbled across, or a particularly good stream you've seen. Post your favorite builds, your most hated cheeses. Post lore discussions, post your hatred of the balance team. Post your favorite arcade games, post your least favorite maps. Post any, post all.

I'll start.

I've played StarCraft ever since the BroodWar days, but wasn't very good at it during its halcyon days. (Mostly because I was about 7-8 at the time I first got it.) In BroodWar, I used to play almost exclusively Protoss, but I never really played on the ladders there.

Now, in WoL/HotS, I exclusively play the Terran race. I'm currently hovering at about the Platinum level; hoping to get bumped up into Diamond, but I don't really see that happening any time soon.
My SC name is GeeHaus, (which is a reference to some random thing Zealots would say in their own language when clicked on in BroodWar, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V-XSFbTVos, [GeeHaus can be heard at 6 seconds]) and my character code is 667. I play the game pretty regularly, and I'd be glad to partner up with whomever would like, and hit the 2v2 ladders.

TvT is by far and away my worst matchup; I'm not terribly good at using tanks, and going for tankless builds in TvT usually works great if you love to lose. TvP is probably my best matchup right now, but TvZ is the one I enjoy playing the most; I feel it's the most dynamic.

But enough about me; how about you?

En Taro Adun!
-RB
<legopineapple> I have a zombie miner for me! :D
legopineapple was slain by Zombie
<ruggedbear> Lol!
<surferdudeX> LOL
<legopineapple> Nuuu!

Jjb14

Re: The fCraft StarCraft Thread!

Post by Jjb14 »

A bold move, Ruggedbear.

:D I've been playing starcraft for a while, and have played through all of the campaigns! I quite enjoy this game! Unfortunately, I don't get to play as much as I'd like considering I don't have a good PC to play on... :hmm:

I am currently a Zerg exclusive player. Still in bronze league, mostly because I have not been able to play too terribly much in Hots. I was high silver in Wol, trying to get into gold. My best match-up is ZvZ, and Protoss as a close second, I would say. I find playing Terran very difficult with the addition of mines (still learning how to avoid those).

Discussion question!

Considering Hotkeys are one of the most important mechanics of SC what is your setup!?

My shitty bronze league hotkeys:
1: scouting dron / control group (usually small group of lings for harass)
2: Main army control group
3: Muta / micro intensive control group
4: All my hatcheries
5: Queen
6: Queen
7: Queen
8: Queen (creep spread)
9/0: Buildings like evo chambers
LeChosenOne: Sometimes when I'm alone I cover myself with mayonnaise and pretend I'm a snail.

Kent: I have 10 periods a day.

ruggedbear
Trustee

Post by ruggedbear »

Jjb14 wrote: Discussion question!

Considering Hotkeys are one of the most important mechanics of SC what is your setup!?

My shitty bronze league hotkeys:
1: scouting dron / control group (usually small group of lings for harass)
2: Main army control group
3: Muta / micro intensive control group
4: All my hatcheries
5: Queen
6: Queen
7: Queen
8: Queen (creep spread)
9/0: Buildings like evo chambers
In the event that I'm playing as Zerg, (in a custom game or something,) here's what I tend to do.
1: Core Army
2: Casters, such as Infestors
3: Micro Intensive/Harassment units (Muta, etc.)
4: All hatcheries
5: All queens. (I hold shift + v and click each hatch on my minimap)
6: Evo Chambers
7: Anything I still need hotkeyed (sub-army groups, etc.)
8: Anything I still need hotkeyed (sub-army groups, etc.)
9: Anything I still need hotkeyed (sub-army groups, etc.)
0: Anything I still need hotkeyed (sub-army groups, etc.)
Putting all queens on one hotkey makes it more difficult to hit injects, but frees up a crapton of hotkeys.

Also, in case anyone wants to know, here's my Terran setup:
1: Core Army/Mines
2: Ghosts/Ravens. (Rarely ever have both, and if I do, I tab between them as needed)
3: Medivacs and Vikings
4: Command Centers/Orbitals/Planetaries
5: Rax
6: Factories
7: Starports
8: Engi Bays
9: Armories
0: When I isolate a Medivac or two to go drop, I put them on 0.

IF GOING MECH, NOT BIO:
2: Siege Tanks
3: Vikings
0: 4-5 strong hellion squad, to troll mineral lines.
<legopineapple> I have a zombie miner for me! :D
legopineapple was slain by Zombie
<ruggedbear> Lol!
<surferdudeX> LOL
<legopineapple> Nuuu!

Flamewarrior199
SupOP

Post by Flamewarrior199 »

I heard there was a starcraft thread so I'm totally in.
I play almost exclusively protoss, yet I dabble in zerg occasionally. I'm hovering around platinum diamond level and am working currently to achieve top platinum in 1v1. My worst match up by far and wide is protoss versus zerg: usually due to early aggression or a quick remax in their army composition that I simply cannot match. PvT is definitely my easiest matchup since this is what I encounter the most on ladder.

My favorite build is a macro orientated 1 gate expand into stargate plus 2 more gateways, after 4 phoenix from the stargate I throw down a robotics facility straight into colossus along with upgrades. I struggle with being aggressive due to the very nature of protoss gameplay. Other than that I don't focus on build orders since to effectively defeat your opponent the key is to scout often and react.
My in-game name is Teku due to a movie I loved as a kid, I can't remember my character code but if you ask for it, I am willing to give it to you.

I hate cheese builds with a burning passion from any race and prefer not to cheese myself.
Cheese for those who don't know is a build that is designed to kill the opponent quickly by sacrificing economy. My other hatred lies with the placement team and or organization because of its gaps in logic and an overall flawed system that will hopefully be addressed by a third party from the outside of Blizzard.

GSL and SPL are my favorite tournaments to watch due to the extremely high level players.
Global StarCraft League and StarCraft Pro League respectively.
[23:56] <Allie> Flamewarrior199 is drowning in bitches

Croy07
OP

Post by Croy07 »

What!? StarCraft thread!? I had no idea! Well, where shall I start. Well, I guess a race is as good as any. I'm a zerg! Wheee, bugz! I'm actually pretty new to SC2, and sadly I don't have HotS. For the longest time I've wanted to get SC2, and finally when I did, oh look, HotS came out literally a month later. Cool.

I don't have any real builds yet. I just go with what I see, kind of. Im not one for scouting, which is awful, I know, but I like to get roaches / Hydras up, then nidas worm into your base! It's really fun. You should try it sometime >:3
*Croy Teleports into a half-slab*
Croy07: Well, this is awkward.
Dragonstar55: Wait there! I want a screen shot!
Croy07: My neck hurts...

Aleries
Trustee

Post by Aleries »

Squadron Tower Defense represent!
I'll go where ever my mind takes me.

Scrathy
Trustee

Post by Scrathy »

Can my game of starcraft on the n64 connect to the internet? I would like to play with you guys!
lol jk.
Once I buy proper internet I wouldnt mind playing starcraft with you guys.

Flamewarrior199
SupOP

That would be awesome. Do you have starcraft 2 by chance? If so buy the HOTS expansion for it so we can play together.

Jjb14

Post by Jjb14 »

Flamewarrior199 wrote:If so buy the HOTS expansion for it so we can play together.
He actually does not need to buy the HotS expansion to play on the HotS level.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... tarcraft-2
Blizzard wrote:For example, when a Starter Edition player joins a party with a Wings of Liberty-level player, both are instantly playing Wings of Liberty. When those two players then join a party with a Heart of the Swarm-level player, they all immediately gain access to Heart of the Swarm content.
Though I do recommend buying the expansion.
LeChosenOne: Sometimes when I'm alone I cover myself with mayonnaise and pretend I'm a snail.

Kent: I have 10 periods a day.

Flamewarrior199
SupOP

Correct I forgot about the new spawning system! :P

FreeBro
Trustee

Post by FreeBro »

i have starcraft 2 HOTS but i am a total nub but i wouldnt mind playing with u guys.

i mostly play protos or terran.
ollieboy: everyone here is a shrimpy nerd, you can take us.

[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 I just swam across the entire ocean
[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 drowned
[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 WELP

Flamewarrior199
SupOP

Awesome I'm surprised we have StarCraft players here! Add me: Teku, character code 407.