Smp

Want to provide feedback or have a question? Post away!
Ninjawolf
OP

Smp

Post by Ninjawolf »

I went on the specialattack smp 85.17.102.2 it said outdated so i was wondering do we have a new smp? If we do please tell me it :happycreeper:
I just looked back at all my past activity on the forums.
Wtf was I doing? o_o..

Being 10 is scary

Ollieboy
Trustee

Re: Smp

Post by Ollieboy »

We do. forum.fCraft.net - it is just running Vanilla right now while we wait to get bukkit support and plugins, so don't get too cozy.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

AndragonLea

Post by AndragonLea »

Humpf, since I can't find the official discussion, I might as well ask here: Is there info yet about the status of the map we build on in smp?

Because I've got a pretty hueg project I plan on, but I don't wanna be half a week into it when suddenly the map is gone, eh?

Would be nice if the administration could pass down the word, tell the underground masterrace if building big subterranean batcaves are go yet, or if it is better to just build for fun and wait for the final map to be uploaded.

I'd also like to mention that I would appreciate a map with either HUGE mountains, or VAST oceans, if such is possible. The water bodies in vanilla are disappointing. ;_;

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

We can't REALLY control the seed without generating it, exploring the whole thing and then determining if we like it or not. It is just too big of a timesink.

There has really been no official word on it but it is most likely that we will have a new map when Bukkit and all the relevent plugins catch up, and only in a few weeks when Hafnium has the time to work on SMP.

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

Yep. Over the next week I'll be getting PailStone back up to spec, and then its full speed ahead with SMP.

The things we need to address:
  • What map are we running with? New one for the new server?
  • Are we going to go with the survival style still, or did that experiment fail as hard as I think it did?
  • INTERTOOTHH! Am I using your sexy economy or iConomy?
  • Craftbook or Minecart Mania?
  • Hash out some rules in trustee land for SMP stuff.
  • Get a starter city, and someone that actually wants to administrate it in terms of houses and such.
The first law of thermodynamics states that you don't discuss thermodynamics.

Pandorum

Post by Pandorum »

I stopped going on the SpA server and swapped to another one who were not using the survival side of the game, instead concentrating on building awesome modern cities and creations. Fly mod is allowed there and everyone is invincible, mobs are also turned off. Anyway, whatever you do, good luck. :)
<KingCrab> oh btw, did you Kirshi is my babie's daddy?

Indiiee

Post by Indiiee »

Ah this is going to suck if we get a new map, me and rock have done some serious work on the map we have now, is there any way to copy it?

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Hafnium wrote:Yep. Over the next week I'll be getting PailStone back up to spec, and then its full speed ahead with SMP.

The things we need to address:
  • What map are we running with? New one for the new server?
  • Are we going to go with the survival style still, or did that experiment fail as hard as I think it did?
  • INTERTOOTHH! Am I using your sexy economy or iConomy?
  • Craftbook or Minecart Mania?
  • Hash out some rules in trustee land for SMP stuff.
  • Get a starter city, and someone that actually wants to administrate it in terms of houses and such.
1. I would HATE to lose my fortress I never finished and Leo's castle. Maybe load the old map but set a new spawn and delete any builds that AREN'T from fCraft. I would deal with a new map though.
2. Survival is the whole idea. If we wanted to build awesome cities, lets do it in freaking classic. Its SURVIVAL Multiplayer.
3. Either one, didn't get to experience either.
4. BOTH if possible. If not, then definitely MM.
5. Blah blah....
6. Would we have to moderate the houses? I thought spawnville was fine the way it was. If anything, have everyone contribute and make a predetermined style house.
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

[*]What map are we running with? New one for the new server?
New comunity, new server, new map?

[*]Are we going to go with the survival style still, or did that experiment fail as hard as I think it did?
Worked for me, dont know what you think that failed in it.

[*]INTERTOOTHH! Am I using your sexy economy or iConomy?
I cant get it working at this point, and for some reason i cant get it to debug correctly.
The loading of the plugin fails, and i have no clue why. Maybe i should just build from scratch again. Then copy everything backin.

[*]Craftbook or Minecart Mania?
Hmmm pailstone? :)
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Copy Spawnville over. It was pretty cool and designed for that purpose. Then Salvezza will come along and pwn, but probably won't be the spawn.

Also sure the game may be survival, but almost everyone stopped playing because it was just not fun for many, and when the player base dwindled many others didn't like the lonely environment. I enjoyed the mix we had previously, with draw commands at my disposal and killing mobs with a command because they lagged the crap outta me.
I enjoy building far more than surviving, but I like the survival environment because it gives me purpose to build. I wouldn't be building Salvezza if I didn't like the idea of the economy inherent with it, the function of the city, and quite frankly in classic mode the city doesn't HAVE any of that. The redstone mechanics give me more goals to develop, the dynamic lighting gives me another goal of keeping the city alight, and the mobs let me think about using booby traps for safety.

Simply put;
KingCrab wrote:2. Survival is the whole idea. If we wanted to build awesome cities, lets do it in freaking classic. Its SURVIVAL Multiplayer.
This argument doesn't cut it anymore.

I'm not saying let me spawn everything and use cuboids, because the economy is then rendered pointless, but taking every command and tool away made it pretty lame and I wasn't enjoying playing on it.

Edit; Also, new map, and Minecart Mania because Pailstone will supercede (when it has Toggle Areas)

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

Sure, some people liked survival, but it killed the popularity of the server as far as I can tell.

I will *not* be coding minecart stuff into pailstone.

TheMastBoss
SupOP

Post by TheMastBoss »

I heard that Builder+ in SMP had teleport a long time ago.
* Isotope destructively nudges DreamingInsane with a new frogsleg.
tesfai10: greg79 wanna have sex

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

We've never really had a 'popular' SMP server, if anything it was dead before the change. If we are to have a working economy then I'm against commands that help building. e.g Cuboid, Spawning, Magic Stick, etc.
Despite disagreeing that it killed off the population, I do think we were too tough on the player base that we had. Removing teleportation really had a negative effect & I think its something that will definitely need looking into - perhaps for Veteran+ ?
Although a full-hardcore-survival server didn't really work out, I still think that the 'survival' aspect needs to be addressed whilst taking into consideration the other people whom don't like the 'survival' aspect.
I'd also like to see more PvP in the game, Capture the Flag? Maybe we could even have alliances with their own land marked by borders?

Just my Two' cents..
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Everyone had everything in SMP a long time ago.

And on Hit's note, we could have another set of worlds with small boundaries in bukkit's multiworld that can be teleported to for like, warfare areas or something, aside from the arenas in the main world.
You can go to another world and it gets all Ace of Spades-y :D

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Ollieboy wrote: You can go to another world and it gets all Ace of Spades-y :D
I'm liking it already. 8) :evil:
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

- 'normal' world with animals on but mobs off.
- a pve world (mobs on, pvp off)
- and pvp world (mobs on?, pvp on)
- Preset 'areana' world for capture the flag that we reset each time (so you have to rebuild bases).

Loads of worlds... dont know if the server can take that.

I liked the 'old' config where we hade pvp and non-pvp in 1 world.
The new 'spawnvile' could be just on the non-pvp border then.

/TP for moderating should be a fact.
compas teleportation i was realy missing while building.

The personal warps i dont realy miss, but could be handy.
Maybe its a good a 'tp' replacer, so you have to been there once before you can use it.
And its limited to what? 10?
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

Noticed you didn't touch on the point that I specifically mentioned you in inter! :happyskeleton:

Scrathy
Trustee

Post by Scrathy »

A capture the flag map would be pretty neat!

TheMastBoss
SupOP

Post by TheMastBoss »

- The Current map we have now on the server.
- Not sure about this, giving the ability to teleport would be nice :)
- Intertooth answered.
- CraftBook.
- Just copy the old SpawnVille :P, about the administator i don't know...
* Isotope destructively nudges DreamingInsane with a new frogsleg.
tesfai10: greg79 wanna have sex

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

Yeah, but multiple maps is a serious drain on resources. I do intend to keep the nether working, but other than that...

Permissions is by world. That's the problem with the two circles idea on bukkit. Maybe we'll dick around with multiworld when we upgrade the software. How would you guys feel about a pv(p&e) map with a SMALL radius that gets wiped bi-weekly?

And ah, right, I missed his first post. SORRY INTER! :oops:

Pandorum

Post by Pandorum »

KingCrab wrote: Survival is the whole idea. If we wanted to build awesome cities, lets do it in freaking classic. Its SURVIVAL Multiplayer.
Your point makes no sense, classic doesn't even have half of the stuff in BETA (doors, stairs, half blocks, note blocks, poles, CAKE, etc.) You obviously didn't visit many BETA building servers cause then you would see that the quality of the builds are 100 times better than classic. More details, originality, possibilities, more FUN. Classic is good for the 10 yrs old kids who didn't buy the game and feel like building little brick houses. However if you want a much more artistic design, BETA is the way to go.

Now... About Haf's post :

1. New one, let's start fresh, maybe raise the bar on the building level?
2. no survival
3. you guys decide
4. what's the difference?
5. -
6. Yeah, make it even more epic than Spawn City, if someone can.

I just want to say, I've been visiting quite a lot of servers lately and popular servers are always the ones where epic buildings are found (obviously) like themed cities, awesome creations, nice replications of famous stuff, etc. People like to join a server where there's great builders and awesome creations, not some barely safe world with a bunch of cuboid houses.

I don't know, it's just what I think, what you do with it is your choice.
<KingCrab> oh btw, did you Kirshi is my babie's daddy?

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

I want to start playing beta on a fresshh world, and I want to shoot stuff with a bow from my epic keep :pink:
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Alright, to get this whole CTF and PvP/mobs thing. Here's my idea...

-Set up designated boundaries where people can join or create their own "nations". If anything, you could make predesignated nations. Now, only create one map but where diplomacy is a huge part of the game. Players will "join" a nation where they can build their fortress, castle, house, etc etc. Forget the mobs and only integrate things that require mob drops (bows, arrows, leather) into the economy system we have. This allows for trade and business to be set up in each nation. The more resources, the better your nation is doing. Countries can be at war, form alliances, trade, raid, etc, with each other.

This method will....
-Allow people to build their large cities
-Satisfy those who want PvP
-Create a more friendly and objective based SMP
-Allow for the use of economy
-Satisfies the need for some to build large castles or forts
- Create a social friendly environment that requires you to work with others
-It gives the opportunity for everyone to have a role and part in the server

Possible Ideas to expand...
-Maybe have a government in each "nation"
-Turn PvP on and off at designated times so people can build at certain times and fight at others.
-Maybe load the Earth map discussed in this section. Then, let the players choose their countries from the real life countries.
-"Raids" are allowed WITHIN certain limits. You can't grief the other nations houses, only kill their players. This is why I believe if its possible than we should restrict PvP to certain times.
-If you don't like the listed above idea, then maybe designate a certain area in which people CAN PvP that is between the nations. Kind of like Korea's Neutral zone, but we make it a war zone :D
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Indiiee

Post by Indiiee »

I wouldnt say smp is dead.... we here at the city of Indierock dont like that kind of talk.

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

Indiiee wrote:I wouldnt say smp is dead.... we here at the city of Indierock dont like that kind of talk.
Wow, nice job mate. really impressive.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

So king, are we writing a plugin to handle all that, or did you just volunteer for a massive job? :happyskeleton:

Noo, we're not going to force role-play.

Indiiee

Post by Indiiee »

Lol thanks, me and rock have been working on our village in multiplayer for a week now, we have three skyscrapers, a beach, extensive mines, a nightclub complete with drum machine, a beachside cafe, a mediocre house, waterfalls, and its surrounded by torches so theres minimal monsters.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Not meaning to be a total dick, but am I missing something here? Those look like tall boxes?
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

Sanjar Khan wrote:Not meaning to be a total dick, but am I missing something here? Those look like tall boxes?
Building in SMP without hacks is much more complicated than what it seems.

They could of possibly died a couple times in the making of the buildings.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Indiiee

Post by Indiiee »

Well each build is over 5 floors tall, the biggest is around 15 and is 55 blocks tall, and yea when you farm all the materials yourself and you mold the land block by block, its something lol.