Super Hostile in SMP?

Free forum for everything around the smp server not falling under other categories
Snave2
#J

Super Hostile in SMP?

Post by Snave2 »

I admit I never did like SMP, or beta for that matter. After building a giant fort and uncovering diamonds for the Nth time, I just found myself becoming bored with the game. It just seemed that the game entered some twilight zone meta-phase after a while. With that said, the pre-smp discussions and speculations fascinated me greatly. I envisioned a community-wide struggle to conquer uncharted lands where each individual had a role to fulfill. You’d have Drafters and Stonemasons constructing giant cities, Electricians, Farmers, and Miners gathering and maintaining said cities, Adventurers and Raiders discovering new lands and uncovering hidden treasure, and Tacticians devising clever ways to progress through dangerous areas. Some of these “classes” have been implemented in our SMP server, and we even have a thriving economy from what I have seen, but there just isn’t any danger present and exploration is very dull imo. To put SMP on the same level as Terraria, I suggest we try out Vechs’ Super Hostile map “Legendary”.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/191 ... AnchorMap7

To quote Vechs,
Have you ever been playing Minecraft and said to yourself "Man, I wish this could be harder... I haven't died nearly enough today."? In the spirit of I Wanna Be the Guy and Kaizo Mario World, these game maps will be very difficult. It could be low amounts of a critical resource, or deviously placed monster spawners, traps, or just general dickery on my part, I want to take the normal Minecraft experience and really put pressure on the player.

From what I have seen so far, you don’t immediately begin with all the tools you’re accustomed to at your fingertip, but as you progress you slowly unlock new resources to use in large quantities. For example, you start out with nothing but sandstone, but in an hour or two you unlock a seemingly unlimited supply of wood, coal, and food, shortly followed by cobblestone and eventually iron. Hidden throughout the world are chests containing large amounts of tracks and redstone resources. All this would give reason to explore from an economic and a community-progression standpoint. And those who prefer to stay back in the safety and build big could trade items adventurers may need for “new” types of building materials. The zones are large so you’ll have plenty of room to build. Ops could spawn in hard-to-acquire items (like diamonds) for purchase to keep the economy thriving and to accommodate for the item loss due to deaths lol.

I don’t know if this is something everyone would like to try out, and since it’s an objective-based map the lifespan might not be too long, but if you want to try out something different for a couple weeks before 1.8 hits I’d say it’s really fun. I played another map, Sea of Flames II, with a couple friends and despite the laggy combat, we were able to complete ½ of the victory monument so far, with each completed piece feeling hella rewarding. So my logic is saying, if 3 ppl running around=damn fun, then 15+ = fuck ya!

Let me know what you think :pig:
You look around on Middle-Earth
as if she for no purpose bore you,
as if you were her first-born birth,
and none had lived before you.

Helio_
SupOP

Re: Super Hostile in SMP?

Post by Helio_ »

I love the idea of a super hostile enviroment and with the 1.8 update including Npcs like endermen, this would be loads of fun. I hope we really do consider this idea.
We do what we must, because we can.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Admittedly that style of gameplay was how I've always wanted to play Minecraft, but the decision for quite a while is that we are a server that caters to all kinds of playing styles, and not RPG based things. Still maybe it could be something we do while the server is in complete turmoil as 1.8 is released and we are in Vanilla. Admittedly it won't have the required plugins because everything will be dead for like, 2 weeks, but we could still get one of the pre-made maps and try to make the style of game ourselves, but I make no guarantee or even hope for that to come to fruition.

I don't really have any idea of what to expect when the server goes Vanilla for the ~two weeks.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Helio_
SupOP

Post by Helio_ »

I think I liked canopy carnage the most. Very awesome maps man.
We do what we must, because we can.

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

We'll be in shit at the 1.8 release because I start uni the week its scheduled to come out. Bad timing, eh?
The first law of thermodynamics states that you don't discuss thermodynamics.

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Hafnium wrote:We'll be in shit at the 1.8 release because I start uni the week its scheduled to come out. Bad timing, eh?
I got it taken care of...
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

KingCrab wrote:
Hafnium wrote:We'll be in shit at the 1.8 release because I start uni the week its scheduled to come out. Bad timing, eh?
Oh really?
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Man, looks like we really DID need to give Sneaky_Citrus owner, aye?
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

DreamingInsane wrote:
KingCrab wrote:
Oh really?
Yep, its all good
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

Ollieboy wrote:Man, looks like we really DID need to give Sneaky_Citrus owner, aye?
Aye, mate.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Fehzor
Trustee

Post by Fehzor »

Ollieboy wrote:Man, looks like we really DID need to give Sneaky_Citrus owner, aye?
I'll miss circle jerking with haf if we do... so IDK about that....

Snave2
#J

Post by Snave2 »

Getting back on topic, does anyone want to set up a separate side server directly connected to the fCraft community? That way us hardcore miners can keep the dungeon crawling dangers away from the masses that may run and hide at the sight of a :happyzombie:. I'm available to play any time between 00:15 and 06:00 GMT+0
You look around on Middle-Earth
as if she for no purpose bore you,
as if you were her first-born birth,
and none had lived before you.

nuclearwaffle121
SupOP

Post by nuclearwaffle121 »

VERY interesting idea, and the screenshots from that map look epic. :happycreeper:
<dxgxl16> we got strippers
<SMB> Allisss: in the butt