Scammed in SMP, unusure if anything can be done

Free forum for everything around the smp server not falling under other categories
Nizet
OP

Scammed in SMP, unusure if anything can be done

Post by Nizet »

I've been playing this server's SMP for maybe a week now and it has been very addicting. This is the first multiplayer server I've gotten serious about since buying the game. After mining countless hours a day for about a week I finally get a stack of diamonds. I couldn't think of any use for all of these diamonds so I decided to sell them. Pelvicultrasound (pleaseunbanme on FB) was interested in buying them (later discovered for reasons not for mining but making aurei) He offered me 800 aurei which I thought was a lot and found reasonable, but I had no experience with prices on this server and was later told I was scammed and that a stack of diamonds was easily 2000 aurei. Not long after he bought the diamonds Pelvicultrasound was selling them for nearly double what he paid me (1500 aurei) I felt pretty angry and was on the verge of griefing the whole server, but I didn't. I was willing to let this all go until Pelvicultrasound had the nerve of saying he does NOT take advantage of people to another player. This really got me angry since he took advantage of my ignorance of prices so I ranted the guy out. I don't know who he's trying to fool with his "kind" personality act or maybe he's just kissing up to those higher rank than he is since he never says anything "bad" when they're on.

You may think this is a pointless post from a whining kid (the latter certainly is true) but I do hope for something to be done about the scam and I want everyone to know that this guy isn't who you think he is. All of his arguments are contradicting and he avoids responding to points that pin him down. I did ponder whether or not I should post this since it wasn't specifically against the rules but intertoothh explained to me that scamming causes grief (which it certainly did to me) and that is against the rules. In the end, I hope something can be done about the scam and that this may soil the false reputation built up by Pelvicultrasound (pleaseunbanme) himself.
“I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that's not their job.”

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Re: Scammed in SMP, unusure if anything can be done

Post by Sanjar Khan »

In the end, how much grief was actually inflicted upon you. You mined something, had no use for it so you sold it. Why does the price matter if you wanted to rid yourself of it anyway. Plus isn't this how an economy works? Someone buys something somewhere for a low price because of low demand, and sells it for a higher price where the demand is higher.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

I don't think you realize how long it took to mine a stack of diamonds. I didn't want to get rid of it so much that I would get ripped off, I wanted to sell it for what it was worth. That is how the economy works but this is minecraft and it should be fun and you shouldn't need to worry about getting scammed.
“I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that's not their job.”

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

He didn't scam you. You were selling something. He offered a price. You accepted.

You didn't get the full value from it, that's true. But that is not his fault. It's a free economy where we don't have set prices for items. You can buy and sell anything for any price you want. Now you know better.
_Snivy_: is desosus a bot?

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

How wasn't it a scam.. the offer was really low for anyone that knew the average price of diamonds. This wouldn't matter so much in a game but the work spent on getting those diamonds was essentially wasted. Now tell me if that is fair...

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

Nizet wrote:How wasn't it a scam.. the offer was really low for anyone that knew the average price of diamonds. This wouldn't matter so much in a game but the work spent on getting those diamonds was essentially wasted. Now tell me if that is fair...
Look, You sold the diamonds, Right?
He's selling/sold for a lower price right?
Well there you go, It's how the economy is.

He isn't scamming anyone.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

Well, I can't say I didn't expect these replies. Of all of them only one was sympathetic yet it was also not sincere. (EDIT: Surprise, that post was deleted :pig: ) I understand this guy donates to your servers but my god, I haven't seen such insensitive moderators since dotA. I guess a stack of diamonds is easy for all of you to get. I regret posting this, thank you all for caring :roll:

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

No need to be.... Mad about it bro.
"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.."
~ Edgar Allan Poe

xKoreaNx
SupOP

Post by xKoreaNx »

Nizet wrote:Well, I can't say I didn't expect these replies. Of all of them only one was sympathetic yet it was also not sincere. (EDIT: Surprise, that post was deleted :pig: ) I understand this guy donates to your servers but my god, I haven't seen such insensitive moderators since dotA. I guess a stack of diamonds is easy for all of you to get. I regret posting this, thank you all for caring :roll:
It has nothing to do with the fact that he donates.

It's a fair trade, you sold it for a price, he sold it for more.

This same thing happens in EVERY MMO that was ever created: Someone lists something for a low price, someone buys it and sells it for a higher price.

This even happens in the stock market, ebay, and every other thing ever created.

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

No need to be.... Mad about it bro.
I know, but he insists he doesn't take advantage of people. Also, wouldn't you be mad if you spent around 50 hours on something then find it going to waste or valued below mediocre level. Evidently, I would be.
It has nothing to do with the fact that he donates.

It's a fair trade, you sold it for a price, he sold it for more.

This same thing happens in EVERY MMO that was ever created: Someone lists something for a low price, someone buys it and sells it for a higher price.

This even happens in the stock market, ebay, and every other thing ever created.
For the last time, this is MINECRAFT. It seems you didn't even bother to read my post but just the replies.

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

If you don't like it, Why do you still play it?

He didn't take advantage fo anyone. It was YOU who didn't ask. It was YOU who did the trade.
It was YOU who accepted it.

Why are you blaming the server, Pleaseunbanme, and everyone that has posted their opinion about this situation?
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

You seem to be under the illusion that the world is a perfectly fair place where people always pay the "correct" value for things. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If he had said to you that the value of it was only 800 and he knew that it was 2000, then that might be considered a scam.

You're just not understanding that he offered a price that he would buy them for. You agreed to it. You made the exchange and after finding out they were worth more, you want your money back.

If someone came up to you selling a genuine bar of gold for 1 dollar, would you accept it or not? So what if it's minecraft? People will always try to get the most out of you for the lowest price. Always. That's how everything in the world works.

xKoreaNx
SupOP

Post by xKoreaNx »

For the last time, this is MINECRAFT. It seems you didn't even bother to read my post but just the replies.
Doesn't matter if it's Minecraft or not, it's still a free market based economy, meaning there are no set prices on anything.
Sorry you didn't like my opinion on the matter, but that's my two cents.

But just for the record I read your entire post before I typed up anything, no need to accuse me of rushing in to hate on someone because it's the cool thing to do at the time.

This thread is silly, we're arguing over a bunch of pixels.

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

DreamingInsane wrote:If you don't like it, Why do you still play it?

He didn't take advantage fo anyone. It was YOU who didn't ask. It was YOU who did the trade.
It was YOU who accepted it.

Why are you blaming the server, Pleaseunbanme, and everyone that has posted their opinion about this situation?
I don't recall saying I dislike the server.

I don't know the prices. He knows the prices. I say I'm selling a stack of diamonds. He knew how much it is worth and offers 800. I said 1000 and it's a deal. He says that's too much, I trust him. Tell me that wasn't taking advantage of me.

Again, I didn't blame the server for this occurring nor anyone who has posted about the event. I just posted MY opinion on how I feel you treat the community.
Doesn't matter if it's Minecraft or not, it's still a free market based economy, meaning there are no set prices on anything.
Sorry you didn't like my opinion on the matter, but that's my two cents.

But just for the record I read your entire post before I typed up anything, no need to accuse me of rushing in to hate on someone because it's the cool thing to do at the time.

This thread is silly, we're arguing over a bunch of pixels.
I apologize for my assumption.

I don't understand how it's silly when I spent around 50 hours mining diamonds then getting tricked into selling them at a price MUCH lower than what was the average value.
You seem to be under the illusion that the world is a perfectly fair place where people always pay the "correct" value for things. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If he had said to you that the value of it was only 800 and he knew that it was 2000, then that might be considered a scam.

You're just not understanding that he offered a price that he would buy them for. You agreed to it. You made the exchange and after finding out they were worth more, you want your money back.

If someone came up to you selling a genuine bar of gold for 1 dollar, would you accept it or not? So what if it's minecraft? People will always try to get the most out of you for the lowest price. Always. That's how everything in the world works.
You are correct, the world isn't a fair place and not everyone pays the correct value for things. I also know that these events occur in games not excluding Minecraft. But, I found the community friendly the day I joined and didn't expect to fall victim to such a scam.

I suppose some people are just that devious to do these things in a game but that's what moderators are for; to prevent such events that cause grief to players. I don't remember reading in your rules that scamming was allowed, in fact it is frowned upon by the iron rule of "no causing grief".

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

You can keep calling it scamming as much as you like, but it doesn't make it true. He bought it off you for a low price, but it was a price to which you agreed. Ignorance of the proper price doesn't get you anything.

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

Desosus wrote:You can keep calling it scamming as much as you like, but it doesn't make it true. He bought it off you for a low price, but it was a price to which you agreed. Ignorance of the proper price doesn't get you anything.
I didn't know the price of the diamonds and he tells me its 800 when the average price is doubled that. He tricked me and tricking is a synonym for scamming.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

There is difference between him telling you that it's worth 800 and him offering to buy it for 800.

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

Desosus wrote:There is difference between him telling you that it's worth 800 and him offering to buy it for 800.
Ah, that is true. He did start out by offering 800. Then I said how about 1000 and he says that's too much, implying that a stack of diamonds is not worth more than 1000.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

No, it just means that he wasn't willing to pay that much.

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

Unfortunately, I didn't see it that way.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

No offense, but that's your own fault.

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

I suppose so. But look at it from my perspective; new player that spent countless hours a day getting those diamonds only to get tricked into selling it for so little. You're making it sound like a stack of diamonds can be mined in 30 minutes.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

No, I'm not saying anything of the kind. I'm saying you made bad assumptions and bad decisions and you have to live with the consequences.

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

Premeditated measures should be taken to prevent such things from happening. I suppose I can live with the consequences but forever I will hold the grudge against pelvicultrasound.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Go sell cobble for 500 a block and make it all back.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

kattoo
Trustee

Post by kattoo »

I tell you what: since money is of no value to me on SMP, I can give you 800 to make you feel better. However make this a lesson for the rest of your life - don't make hasty decisions, always double and triple check before you make one and once you make one, never regret it. Howgh, the wise has spoken :P
I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

kattoo wrote:I tell you what: since money is of no value to me on SMP, I can give you 800 to make you feel better. However make this a lesson for the rest of your life - don't make hasty decisions, always double and triple check before you make one and once you make one, never regret it. Howgh, the wise has spoken :P
Oh that's right... You can spawn everything now.
~ Edgar Allan Poe

kattoo
Trustee

Post by kattoo »

Money was of no value to me even before I could do that :P
I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

DreamingInsane
Owner

Post by DreamingInsane »

kattoo wrote:Money was of no value to me even before I could do that :P
LIES!
~ Edgar Allan Poe

Nizet
OP

Post by Nizet »

kattoo wrote:I tell you what: since money is of no value to me on SMP, I can give you 800 to make you feel better. However make this a lesson for the rest of your life - don't make hasty decisions, always double and triple check before you make one and once you make one, never regret it. Howgh, the wise has spoken :P
Where have you been since I posted this?! Thanks for the offer but I won't be accepting it. I just wanted to see if anyone cared enough to actually do something about the situation or even just show some sensitivity towards the situation. What seems to have been a minor problem to all of you was much more to me and I thank kattoo for understanding that.