My opinion on Bukkit in our servers

Want to provide feedback or have a question regarding the CMP server? Post away!
CodyLewis

My opinion on Bukkit in our servers

Post by CodyLewis »

Now before I establish my opinions, I just ask the people respect them. I have been a member of this forum for over a year and a half, and have been playing Minecraft with some of the members on this forum for nearly two years. I may have had streches where I don't play due to work, school, or family, and that why I am putting this paragraph in place, because a bunch of the newer members don't really know who I am. I can tell you I am more than experienced with Bukkit ran servers over the two year span of my playing with the members in this community.

Do I like Bukkit? Absolutely, however I feel like there are key points that need to be addressed, because when these points are emphasized the community seems to disperse until it is addressed. Am I saying that Ollie and Haf do a bad job? No, they do a tremendous job, the points I am going to make in no way are related to Ollie or Haf.

Okay, my first point can be backed up by the fact that 17 days ago, Minecraft 1.4 was released. SEVENTEEN days ago, and the developers of Bukkit yet to have a recommended build for it. I understand coding takes time, but with a development staff of their proportions giving 17 days is more than enough time to release a sufficient build. This is a problem that goes on with every update, with every major update, the staff at Bukkit takes way too much time to release a good build. By the time they release a build, another major update is about to be released, and there have been times we have only had one or two weeks before the next major update comes out after Bukkit updates, leaving us with another few weeks of waiting.

I already know someone is going to go out there and not address my issue by telling me "if I don't like it, I can leave", I am well aware I am of the capacity to leave, but do I? No, because my opinion is of absolutely no correlation of the members of this community. I love this community, its the only Minecraft community I put myself into. My problem is with the development of Bukkit. So if that is your solution, it is invalid, and entirely unnecessary.

Another person will tell me to downgrade to 1.3.2 if I want to play. Yes, this will work, but with every one tired of waiting the most people I see online at one time is only one or two, which basically wipes out the community part of the server, which is the reason I play. Also, switching versions takes time, and switching back and forth so I can work on my build on 1.4 but then having to go back to 1.3.2 is just time consuming and too much hassle to deal with.

Do I feel like Bukkit should be removed? Absolutely not, I just feel like there needs to be some sort of measure to ensure the community stays together as we wait the weeks for the release of a decent Bukkit build. You can't tell me the community is as tightly bonded while we wait for a release, as it is when we can just hop into the server and play without the hassle.

Ideas for solutions, other opinions, and polite responses are appreciated and will be addressed.

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Re: My opinion on Bukkit in our servers

Post by Lim-Dul »

Bukkit devs might be slacking but there is no alternative. We absolutely cannot afford to run vanilla servers.

For the public servers, we might switch to non-recommended releases but if we find out that this breaks any of our core plugins, this might still not be feasible.

See, this is not really something where a discussion will help in any way - we simply have no options here, however much we talk about it.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

Its just unfortunate that the slacking of the development staff of another community has to affect ours so negatively.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

I like how you started off with a massive disclaimer and then proceeded to state very little.
By the time they release a build, another major update is about to be released
For all intents and purposes that makes Bukkit the most up to date release of minecraft, so what does it matter?
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

CodyLewis

Post by CodyLewis »

Well it's a week until the one month of the release of 1.4, and they are still on the development stage. Not beta, not recommended, development, in one week shy of one months time. They still have beta stages to go through before recommended. I'm thinking at this rate 1.5 will be released before an up to date version of bukkit.

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

CodyLewis wrote:Well it's a week until the one month of the release of 1.4, and they are still on the development stage. Not beta, not recommended, development, in one week shy of one months time. They still have beta stages to go through before recommended. I'm thinking at this rate 1.5 will be released before an up to date version of bukkit.
Actually, theres been a beta build for a few weeks, and SMP has been running it with no issues. Theres also a new MC update, meaning that bukkit will have to shift focus on a new patch.
I predominately blame #Notch + his merry men, more than I blame bukkit. We were promised an API by them some time ago now.
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

The thing is there isn't much of an alternative. We have to run a modified Craftbukkit anyway to support WundEdit, so it's up to Wundsalz if he wants to use a non-recommended build.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Updated to 1.4.5
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie