I'm a vet with little or no ops on what to do?

Free forum for everything around the classic server not falling under other categories.
Hog622

I'm a vet with little or no ops on what to do?

Post by Hog622 »

being a veteran means you do not have patrol making it harder to find and ban griefers but it can still be done! How to be a useful veteran. During a time of need. (when there is little or no ops on) i've noticed we have some times when ops are scarce and people dont know how to help the ones that are on.

Organize a system with the user/users that are on.

quite often a veteran will be in the position of having to assist an op in keeping the fcraft server grief free. a good way to help them is to devise a system. i like to tell the op i'll respond to calls of so and so is griefing and he can patrol. that way he can focus on catching those sneaky griefers while the veteran can catch those blatant griefers.

Clean Up grief.

if there is no one calling about people griefing try and clean up the spawn. quite often you'll be able to catch obvious griefers near by the spawn. giving the op, less griefers to deal with.

Answer Guests Questions

A solo op doesn't have time to help guests. if a player asks can an op review my build simply tell him we dont have enough ops on to rank right now. another example is a player needing water. go over and help that guest.

Get Other Ops.

Quite often there are ops such as Nessy and Ollie idling on irc. hop on irc see who's on and ping them. let them know that we the server is lacking ops. they will quite often come on and help out.

Instant Kicking.

A veteran should not be instant kicking. the only exception is when an op+ tells them ok to do it. maybe ask the op. do you want me to anouce you are instant kicking. then paste this message into irc.
"&c Due to a lack of Ops we will no longer be warning you before we kick you. So, you can consider this your warning. No Destroying (of anything) No Racist builds No making other players fall No random tunneling and No spamming of blocks."

Obey The ops.

If the op has a special job for you or tells you to stop something. stop it. remember the op is in charge. he most likely knows best because hes (probably) spent more time catching griefers then you.

Know your commands and moderating procedure

replace and cuboid are great commands for keeping main clean. if you dont know them your less of a help. and if you dont know the standard kicking and banning procedure your not much help either. know your commands and moderating procedure. it helps. warn kick warn kick warn ban. but remember common sense.
If a guest reports a griefer, /tp to the reported guest, watch the guest and if necessary do a /bring command to take the guest out of someones build and do a /freeze (/f) and warn him/her, then /unfreeze (/uf). you can also press tab and teleport to a random player.

Feel free to add what you want.
This guide is for veterans on during an op lacking time.
NOT for regular hours when we have many ops on.
Last edited by Hog622 on June 3rd, 2011, 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FCB1 cdferg: hog is hawt

bilde
OP

Re: I'm a vet with little or no ops on what to do?

Post by bilde »

A way to "patrol" is to hold the TAB key to see the players on that specific world, then you use that list and teleports to people in the world. :)
Meh...

jxfuller

Post by jxfuller »

I think this is info that most vets already know, that they learn when they are a builder.... at least I think most vets do.

Also, you didn't mention the /bring and /freeze command vets have at their disposal. If a guest reports a griefer, /tp to the reported guest, watch the guest and if necessary do a /bring command to take the guest out of someones build and do a /freeze (/f) and warn him/her, then /unfreeze (/uf).

bilde
OP

Post by bilde »

Jx! Thanks! I have totally forgot that unfreeze was /uf! I used /unfreeze for so long now... Thanks! :happycreeper:
Meh...

Hog622

Post by Hog622 »

jxfuller wrote:I think this is info that most vets already know, that they learn when they are a builder.... at least I think most vets do.

Also, you didn't mention the /bring and /freeze command vets have at their disposal. If a guest reports a griefer, /tp to the reported guest, watch the guest and if necessary do a /bring command to take the guest out of someones build and do a /freeze (/f) and warn him/her, then /unfreeze (/uf).
thanks =D
FCB1 cdferg: hog is hawt

ImSpetsnaz
OP

Post by ImSpetsnaz »

This topic is actually really helpful and any vets out there should read this.
It is kinda common sense but it's always good to know what to do.
Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.