Skyrim

Discuss video games, films, clips, pictures, music, ponies and all kinds of other fun stuff here.
Ollieboy
Trustee

Re: Skyrim

Post by Ollieboy »

Smokeybacon wrote:Alright for some, I have to get it on Sunday or Monday now
Aww man why is that?
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Reload25

Post by Reload25 »

Here's a video to get everyone pumped for Skyrim. Only 3 days left!
http://youtu.be/j50u0zUeCmU

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

The first law of thermodynamics states that you don't discuss thermodynamics.

Trepvalkyrie

Post by Trepvalkyrie »

I have neither owned nor played any of the series. However i do know that Bethesda games are... meh until modded. Fallout 3 was fairly fun the first time through, a couple of years later mine is loaded with about 15 separate mods on top of each other all mashed into one semi-stable game. Now the game is totally different from the original and approximately a million times better than the original. MAKE WAY FOR ME AND MAH 20MM CANNON AND PLASMA MINIGUN, hehehehe.

I expect Skyrim to be OK first time through, and a couple of years later to be an epic.

I'm still not buying it though. :D

Smokeybacon
Trustee

Post by Smokeybacon »

Trepvalkyrie wrote:However i do know that Bethesda games are... meh until modded.
...yeah don't judge Bethesda until you've at least played Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion.
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: my dad is an arkansas goveren
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and iwe are suing skittles
[02:29] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and we may file a lawsuit against fcraft

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

And Arena!

kattoo
Trustee

Post by kattoo »

Well, Smokey, to be fair - all Bethesda games are bugged as hell upon release and I'm expecting no different this time through. They're already issuing a patch fixing some minor glitches - Oblivion was almost unplayable, Daggerfall has been called Buggerfall for a reason. I'm pre-odering tomorrow, but I'm still wondering if it's the right call and if it wouldn't be a better idea to calm my tits and wait till the first few patches are out and there's a discount on Steam (although I'm getting it for ~$35 so I doubt there'll be a better deal on Steam within the next few months).
I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Morrowind was fucking epic first time through.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

The bugs should be far less prevalent in Skyrim as the game has literally been built from the ground up. They built the whole engine for it from scratch to address some of the issues, so I think there will seriously be some improvement over the others.

As for Oblivion I seriously didn't get hindered by bugs at all. The only bug that comes to mind was the scroll duplication glitch thing and that's about it.

Also it get's released tomorrow, no need to preorder :P There are many games that get patched upon release. It's not unusual. It will be bad if they have to patch it like Dead Island did, but that seriously won't be the case :P

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it has been a pleasure getting to know you all. I will look back on our time in fCraft with a loving heart and a smile. Perhaps I will visit again one day. Perhaps.

kattoo
Trustee

Post by kattoo »

I caved in...

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Ollieboy wrote:Well, ladies and gentlemen, it has been a pleasure getting to know you all. I will look back on our time in fCraft with a loving heart and a smile. Perhaps I will visit again one day. Perhaps.
Don't forget to promote all the builders to Trustees/ess before you leave
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Trepvalkyrie

Post by Trepvalkyrie »

...yeah don't judge Bethesda until you've at least played Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion.
Well I just played Skyrim for a couple of hours :D

So unbelievably meh I would actually consider it to be a bad game .... don't be hatin haters. IT IS, IT IS BAD BAD BAD.

Hand to hand combat like that should not exist in this day and age. Clearly they don't play Movie Battles 2.

Now I need to make an inpenetrable hater proof fortress before I get burnt at the stake.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Go die. I saw a mountain and wept at the beauty.

Trepvalkyrie

Post by Trepvalkyrie »

Go die. I saw a mountain and wept at the beauty.
How could you? The graphics blow, but some random mod will sort that out in a few months I suppose.

When I played it, it felt EXACTLY like fallout 3, just with trees and no guns. I don't know where the praise for this game comes from. Nostalgia I suppose. If it was free I probably wouldn't play it.

You are all blinded.

(retreats into the hater proof fortress)

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

The graphics blow? Play it on a proper computer.

The praise for this game comes from the fact that they packed in an infinite-quest system gen, 315 unique locations, 600MB alone for a massive range of dialogue, music, sound effects etc, dynamic weather, more shit to do than anyone could imagine with up to 300 hours of unique gameplay, and for the love of Christ I just killed a bee and put it's stinger into a poison. How many games can you do that? You can go wherever you want, do whatever you want. Sandbox has been redefined. Last night I was playing tag with some children in a beautifully crafted medieval city. Like, how can that much detail exist anywhere in a game? How can ~6GB hold so much?

That's where it comes from. I'm not telling you to love it, or even like it, but if you try and tell me that this is a shit game and that;
Trepvalkyrie wrote:You are all blinded.
You are just being an asshole for the sake of it.

There are many things in this world that I dislike, but I can appreciate. I don't like death metal but I can appreciate the technical skill of the musicians. I don't like beer a whole lot, but I can appreciate that it has stood the test of time, and is an acquired taste. There are some things that are just genuinely shit in this world, like the West Borough Baptists' view on homosexual people, Justin Bieber's music, or stepping on a LEGO brick, but Skyrim is not one of these things.

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

kattoo
Trustee

Post by kattoo »

I've got no complaints so far, 3 hours into the game. Feels like Oblivion and other Bethesda games, but it's polished and at least I haven't stumbled upon any capital glitches or bugs. Sure, the animations look recycled, ice-skating can be bothersome, but overall, seems they nailed it pretty well ^^

I'm really glad I can play it on medium/high with E7200 @ 2.53 MhZ and GeForce 9600 GT, though I'd love to play it on ultra >.>

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

I'm really quite happy with the game. It is what I expected!

The only bug that really affected me was that shift-tabbing into the steam menu while in a conversation made it so you could not exit the conversation interface.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

I can hold my breath underwater forever, and when an enchanted sword runs out of power whilst dual wielding difficulty with equipping something else in that hand ensues.

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

I just encountered MAJOR graphics glitches with the snow-accumulation layer at the mage's college.

boblol0909
SupOP

Post by boblol0909 »

kattoo wrote: E7200 @ 2.53 MhZ and GeForce 9600 GT, though I'd love to play it on ultra >.>
I'm pretty sure you meant GHz :P

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Not sure whether a bug or intended, but I cannot un-equip the spell 'Flames' its so fucking annoying.
Also, don't waste 1000g on a horse. I killed mine within 10 minutes of purchase from jumping a small gap.
Apart from that, I'm loving it. I've never really played an RPG game before, so wasn't entirely sure what to expect.
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

There were always going to be problems with it. Walking through the land I remember Oblivion fondly from the style it is, and there is nothing wrong with that, because Oblivion was far beyond it's time. I've not run into any bugs mentioned and I've been going like 15 hours on it. Shift+Tabing sometimes means I CAN ONLY TYPE IN ALL CAPS FOR SOME REASON but that's a Steam-side thing if anything.

The sheer expanse of this game still melts my face off. It feels like the sheer amount of shit you can do in Runescape but 1 trillion times better managed and 1 sextillion sexier.

Hit-Girl
Trustee

Post by Hit-Girl »

Fixed the bug with the spell, for anyone that encounters it you need to equip a 1h weapon, then you can change it to what you like strangely.
Successfully recreated the bug to, it seems to only happen when you try to Dual-wield Two spells that can't be used twice. E.g Two Ice Spikes.
<SMB> pen23: Hit you are so mean and pathetic and a liar and you're ugly and fat

Kittle
OP

Post by Kittle »

So, I've never played any Elder Scrolls, not much of an RPG fan (I played some classic RPGs), I don't even know what the game is about. I'm not getting it right now, care to explain to me what the story (in general) is and how it works?

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Every game in the series takes part in a different province of the same continent, where different events unfold such as they are written down in the Elder Scrolls.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Run around in a cool world and kill things, specifically dragons.

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

Hit_Girl, I've had my horse from Whiterun for the last 12 hours of gameplay. I've not fast traveled once either, so the horse sees plenty of action. You're a horrible horse owner.

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

Hit_Girl: Sooo, you can't get a mic but spent $60 on Skyrim? *whistles*
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell