The World Ending?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit other categories here.
Cartoonman
SupOP

Re: The World Ending?

Post by Cartoonman »

just to point something out, I'd like you guys to investigate how These people came to believe in what they believe. (btw, it IS legit.)

I'll get back to you when i'm on the moon.
The Belief wrote:The contients float on an infinite ocean which somehow has a layer of fire underneath it. The lands we know are surrounded by an infinite wilderness of ice and snow, beyond the Antarctic ocean, bordered by an immense circular ice-cliff. What we call the North Pole is in the center of the earth.
Last edited by Cartoonman on November 8th, 2011, 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Show
00:53 hafnium: cartoon you talk too much

markiled: i just want to hump the speakers

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

From a historical point of view it is interesting to know WHY people from certain times made certain changes in translations or interpretations.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

M1_Abrams

Post by M1_Abrams »

Smokeybacon wrote:Anything that has been translated and re-translated many times from multiple ancient and extinct langauges, and rewritten by many monks each of whom probably has their own interpretation of it, and is then split into multiple versions, which cause many wars between members of the same faith over exactly what the orginal version said... yeah I wouldn't take that as a source of any valuable information. Even from a historical point of view, it's bad.
As good as that sounds, you're wrong.

There are numerous ancient texts that confirm that the New Testament is no less than 99% the same and the Old Testament is not much less. And yes there are multiple versions of the English translation, but why not compare different ones and/or research what the original Greek meant?

And historically, archaeologists continue to, for example, find non-Biblical texts that confirm the kings mentioned in the Bible.
"A ship in a harbor is safe, but that’s not what ships are for."
--William Shedd

JustOnePanda
OP

Post by JustOnePanda »

You do realize that the Bible is not to be taken literally? Its meant to be the basis for which people should follow to live a happy life. Sure actual Kings and people were mentioned, but only because most Holy Books are edited over time to include them, as stories told for their morals. Someone cannot claim that ALL those who touched the Bible were pure, many of them were corrupted and most likely edited it in secrecy. That's like saying all politicians care for the good will of the people...like hell thats true :happyzombie:

Those extremist Christians, like that old man who predicted the world ending in May, took the Bible's words too literally, honestly believing that the world was going to end on that day. The Bible is NOT a source of when the world is going to end, fact that some people believe the Bible can foretell the end of time is beyond me :P
"a person's dream are meant to be fulfilled not crushed and these words I am typing from the 3DS are from my heart"
-SSJGoten22

boblol0909
SupOP

Post by boblol0909 »

M1_Abrams wrote:
Smokeybacon wrote:Anything that has been translated and re-translated many times from multiple ancient and extinct langauges, and rewritten by many monks each of whom probably has their own interpretation of it, and is then split into multiple versions, which cause many wars between members of the same faith over exactly what the orginal version said... yeah I wouldn't take that as a source of any valuable information. Even from a historical point of view, it's bad.
Thirty Years War between Catholics and Protestants doesn't ring a bell?
M1_Abrams wrote:And historically, archaeologists continue to, for example, find non-Biblical texts that confirm the kings mentioned in the Bible.
That proves absolutely nothing. You could write a book mentioning Obama, make it into a religion, and then 2000 years from now people could discover texts saying Obama is real.

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

I usually cut people who use the Bible as a metaphorical inspiration for their lifestyle (apart from all the stoning to death and such - ha, ha) some slack as long as they don't try to shove something down my throat but using the Bible as an accurate source for anything apart from the most generic and vague tidbits is just hilarious and something that even most (educated) Christians roll their eyes at.

If you want to go with historic records, historians and archaeologists can't even be certain that Jesus existed since the Romans kept FAR more accurate and objective records than what is written in the New Testament and nowhere do they mention events like the ones described in the Bible. A bit peculiar, isn't it? Especially since this is far more modern history than the Old Testament, so imagine how much more the accuracy would decrease in that case. Not to mention the times before everything was written down (by many authors), in which religious "facts" were shared orally. Ever tried playing Chinese whispers with even as few as like 10 people and one sentence to be passed around?

Oh, and that the dates of pretty much all Christian holidays coincide with Greek/Roman ones is a bit peculiar too. ;-)

I don't even know why I'm writing this though since religious people are, by definition, impossible to convince through rational arguments. Which of course is the nature of believing - if there was proof it would be knowing. Too bad some people claim it IS knowing though...
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

JustOnePanda
OP

Post by JustOnePanda »

Lim-Dul wrote: I don't even know why I'm writing this though since religious people are, by definition, impossible to convince through rational arguments. Which of course is the nature of believing - if there was proof it would be knowing. Too bad some people claim it IS knowing though...
Can I quote this? I like it...makes sense to me :pig:
"a person's dream are meant to be fulfilled not crushed and these words I am typing from the 3DS are from my heart"
-SSJGoten22

xN8Gx

Post by xN8Gx »

boblol0909 wrote:You could write a book mentioning Obama, make it into a religion, and then 2000 years from now people could discover texts saying Obama is real.
He's only real if you believe in him. If you do, then on Election Day, he'll slide down the chimney and leave a stimulus package in your stocking.

Now then, I think this video fits well with what people are talking about now (the bible being an accurate source of information, whether Jesus Christ existed, etc.). Pro-tip; skip to about 21:25 if you want to see what I'm talking about, although if you wanna watch the whole thing, go for it, it's pretty informative.
[12:43] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You are the sexiest chick ever.
[12:44] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You so sexy. I wanna touch and stroke your luscious beautifull hair like it was my own and hear you purr.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

M1_Abrams wrote:

There are numerous ancient texts that confirm that the New Testament is no less than 99% the same and the Old Testament is not much less. And yes there are multiple versions of the English translation, but why not compare different ones and/or research what the original Greek meant?

And historically, archaeologists continue to, for example, find non-Biblical texts that confirm the kings mentioned in the Bible.
Just do a quick google search for "inconsistincies in the bible" and then come back and explain it to me.
_Snivy_: is desosus a bot?

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Why does this argument even exist? The Bible is a story. It's a good story. It was, like stories written today, influenced by 'pop culture' at the time of writing, such as certain kings as mentioned above. They are designed to spread messages in an effective way. Whoever that Egyptian king was who was going to slice the baby in two? What is the likelihood of that happening really, compared to something using a story to show a message of sharing.

Fictional text is a tool. Most Christians know the bible cannot be taken as fact, but can appreciate the values and whatnot that their faith is based around. The same can be said for Aboriginal Australians, who developed the Dreamtime the same way Christians developed their texts, and these were passed through paintings and oral retelling in order to show values their kind stood for. (Or at least that was what I was taught in primary school.)
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Even though the original thread has been de-railed I'll throw my two cents in:

As a Christian myself, I see the Bible as more a moral guideline to live your life. It told the stories of an age of time and about several people. The most prevalent being Jesus Christ. Now, as for beliefs I do believe there is a God and I do believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God sent down from the Heavens to cleanse us. However, I am not the type of Christian who will shove my beliefs down your throat. Neither will I take everything literally in the Bible. If I did that, I would be just as bad as the Westboro Baptist Church idiots that decided to give Christians a bad name with their radical nature.
Desosus wrote:Most Christians know the bible cannot be taken as fact, but can appreciate the values and whatnot that their faith is based around.
That pretty much hits the nail on the head right there. Unfortunately the Bible itself has been manipulated throughout time to say the desired text the editor wished it to say. That's just the way humans are. Thus the reason why there are so many religions in today's world. Most of the religions are just different versions of a supposed "master" religion that originated a long time ago. Humans changed the practices required, and BOOM, you have another religion. (Not saying Christianity is the only "right" faith at all or that it is the "master" religion)
Lim-Dul wrote: If you want to go with historic records, historians and archaeologists can't even be certain that Jesus existed since the Romans kept FAR more accurate and objective records than what is written in the New Testament and nowhere do they mention events like the ones described in the Bible.
Records are only as accurate as the record-keepers wish them to be. The Bible may exaggerate a few stories, however whose to say some scrolls or text may not have been "edited" or "disappeared" among Roman times. The Romans didn't exactly agree with Jesus or his teachings. :wink:
Lim-Dul wrote:I don't even know why I'm writing this though since religious people are, by definition, impossible to convince through rational arguments. Which of course is the nature of believing - if there was proof it would be knowing. Too bad some people claim it IS knowing though...
That's only a few percent of most religious people that are by definition "extrema within the religion being practiced." The thing about religion is that you pointed out is that it is a BELIEF. People will try to create a practical fact out of information that is merely implied information rather than proven facts. Some things in the Bible have been proven, others have not. Like I said before, I believe in God, that there is only one God, and that Jesus Christ was a true disciple of God and his Son. Can I prove them? No, but that is exactly why religion is defined as a BELIEF and a practice rather than scientifically proven facts.

However I would like to point out that there are things in this world that can not be explained with mere science. The human is restricted in its capability to gain access and understand this knowledge though.

/lecture off

***EDIT: Just noticed that the forums said Desosus said the first quoted section rather than Ollieboy even though I didn't edit the quote at all?***
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

KingCrab wrote: As a Christian myself, I see the Bible as more a moral guideline to live your life. It told the stories of an age of time and about several people. The most prevalent being Jesus Christ. Now, as for beliefs I do believe there is a God and I do believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God sent down from the Heavens to cleanse us. However, I am not the type of Christian who will shove my beliefs down your throat. Neither will I take everything literally in the Bible. If I did that, I would be just as bad as the Westboro Baptist Church idiots that decided to give Christians a bad name with their radical nature.
I do this quite a lot so you'll excuse me if my reply is a bit verbose. You say you see the bible as a moral guideline. But that you also don't follow everything in it. So how do you choose which bits to follow and which ones to ignore?

Presumably, the answer is that you use common sense. So you're using your own moral compass to decide what's right and what's wrong as opposed to what's written in some book that was originally codified by a bunch of illiterate desert nomads.

So in reality, it means almost nothing to say that the bible is a moral guideline.

In addition to that, I dislike the attitude that SOME religious individuals have when discussing morality in that they imply (though rarely say out loud) that religion has some sort of exclusive right to morality. As if those of us who don't believe in a god run around murdering and pillaging all the time.

In addition, there also seems to be an attitude of "I don't murder people because the bible says not to" as if they'd be killing people if it wasn't written not to in a book...

KingCrab wrote: That's only a few percent of most religious people that are by definition "extrema within the religion being practiced." The thing about religion is that it is a BELIEF. People will try to create a practical fact out of information that is merely information rather than proven fact. Some things in the Bible have been proven, others have not. Like I said before, I believe in God, that there is only one God, and that Jesus Christ was a true disciple of God and his Son. Can I prove them? No, but that is exactly why religion is defined as a BELIEF and a practice rather than scientifically proven facts.
What people seem to forget is that while freedom of religion is a human right, that does not mean what most people are interpreting it as these days. You are free to believe whatever the hell you damn well please but you are NOT allowed to DO anything based on an argument of "but that's my religion". Once you start using religion as a rationalization for doing something that affects other people, such as basing laws on religious material, then you're going too far.
KingCrab wrote:However I would like to point out that there are things in this world that can not be explained with mere science. The human is restricted in its capability to gain access and understand this knowledge though.
Being a scientist, this actually makes me angry. The statement of "science can't explain everything" is wrong. Science has not yet explained everything. But for all you know, it may well explain everything in the future. Will it at some point in the future explain everything? I doubt it. But it does a hell of a better job of explaining ANYTHING than religion does, unless you wish to use "explaining" as a verb to mean tossing out any random idea and treating it as fact. During the time of the writing of the bible humans as a race didn't know much about the world around them. They did however have a yearning for knowledge and so they "explained" it to the best of their abilities. Now we know a hell of a lot more than we used to. All the stuff that religions tried to explain by invoking sun gods and thunder gods, science explains a lot better.

Even for the stuff that science hasn't explained yet, that doesn't mean you get to fill in the blanks with the fairy tale that most appeals to you. It's a logical fallacy to say that "We don't know how it works, therefore it must be god".

If everybody always thought "science can't explain that", science would never progress. Religion is a poison that infects us and slows down our progress as a species. It has done so in the past and it will continue to do so until people stand up and say "believe whatever you want, but don't tell me or anyone else what we can or can't do based on your irrational beliefs".

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Religion is a poison that infects us and slows down our progress as a species. It has done so in the past and it will continue to do so until people stand up and say "believe whatever you want, but don't tell me or anyone else what we can or can't do based on your irrational beliefs".
That's rather shortsighted of you, you playing Minecraft also slows down our progress as a species, however slightly. The establishment of protestantism as state religion in the Netherlands and Denmark significantly boosted the literacy rates, the expansion of universities and the output of "science" as a whole.

cdferg
Trustee

Post by cdferg »

Whether you believe in God or not, He believes in you.
doberman411: I now know that I feel a bit of relief every time the landing gear of my plane lifts off of the runway knowing that I'm one step closer to freedom.

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Desosus wrote: I do this quite a lot so you'll excuse me if my reply is a bit verbose. You say you see the bible as a moral guideline. But that you also don't follow everything in it. So how do you choose which bits to follow and which ones to ignore?

Presumably, the answer is that you use common sense. So you're using your own moral compass to decide what's right and what's wrong as opposed to what's written in some book that was originally codified by a bunch of illiterate desert nomads.

So in reality, it means almost nothing to say that the bible is a moral guideline.

In addition to that, I dislike the attitude that SOME religious individuals have when discussing morality in that they imply (though rarely say out loud) that religion has some sort of exclusive right to morality. As if those of us who don't believe in a god run around murdering and pillaging all the time.

In addition, there also seems to be an attitude of "I don't murder people because the bible says not to" as if they'd be killing people if it wasn't written not to in a book...
My morals are based upon a lot of the teachings of the Bible. So in essence, the very basis of where my morals originated come from the Bible. This is why I refer to it as a guideline rather than a strict pamphlet of which you must obey every thing it tells you to do. In Christianity, the belief is that even though we are recommended to follow the Bible the best we can, God knows we are only HUMAN and he forgives us and still loves us. Humans make mistakes, simple as that.

As for you mention SOME religious individuals discussing morality, I totally agree. There is a quote I was proud to once say that said "It's sad that a general group of people are judged or defined by the people with power among that group." In other words, the few people that get TV time or others like Westboro Baptist in the media disgrace the rest of the Christians by their radical beliefs. Same goes for nations and political leaders.

Also, to reply to the statement about common sense, isn't it really a "Duh" conclusion that you shouldn't kill or perform any extremity of a task that would go against what we as a society has deemed as immoral. I agree with you wholeheartedly that people shouldn't just point to religion as a means to explain why they don't murder, etc, etc. (There is a lot more to say about this area but I'll move on in interest of preventing a longer post)
Desosus wrote:What people seem to forget is that while freedom of religion is a human right, that does not mean what most people are interpreting it as these days. You are free to believe whatever the hell you damn well please but you are NOT allowed to DO anything based on an argument of "but that's my religion". Once you start using religion as a rationalization for doing something that affects other people, such as basing laws on religious material, then you're going too far.
Totally Agreed. This brings us to the Crusades when basically the Catholic nations claimed "God wills it!" as a reason to back their actions. Most of us know that it was merely a scapegoat to protect the truth of the Crusades being a "treasure hunt" for more land and riches. Though the actions of the past should not define the religion in today's world.
Desosus wrote:Being a scientist, this actually makes me angry. The statement of "science can't explain everything" is wrong. Science has not yet explained everything. But for all you know, it may well explain everything in the future. Will it at some point in the future explain everything? I doubt it. But it does a hell of a better job of explaining ANYTHING than religion does, unless you wish to use "explaining" as a verb to mean tossing out any random idea and treating it as fact.
I'll reply to this by first saying no insult was meant on scientists or anybody in the field of science.

If science can prove everything, then I want you to show me proven facts right now of why humans are on this earth. I want you to tell me the exact date of the end of the human race. Tell me when why life will end. Explain to me the odds of flipping tails or heads on a coin. There is a problem with science in the sense that their are many things that can not be tested nor proven with data. Not once did I mention religion as being a supplement to fill those gaps of missing concepts that can't be explained.

It's also hypocritical and a logical fallacy to disprove something just because you can't see it there isn't any proof to prove of it. Look at scientists of old times. They didn't know the atom existed, or as many stars are in the universe as we can tell now. They believe it simply didn't exist. However, they were later proven to be wrong. Science in some areas along with religion are merely theories. They are concepts that are generally accepted among society.
Desosus wrote:If everybody always thought "science can't explain that", science would never progress.
That is the instinct of human nature. We are always trying to get bigger and badder and expand our knowledge.
Desosus wrote:Religion is a poison that infects us and slows down our progress as a species. It has done so in the past and it will continue to do so until people stand up and say "believe whatever you want, but don't tell me or anyone else what we can or can't do based on your irrational beliefs
Honestly, I find that a very narrow-minded concept and quite harsh. I actually seem to see science as a poison. People will manipulate science for their own gain rather than the gain of mankind. The constant advancement of weapons is a good example since mankind is "chasing its own tail" to constantly outdo itself and become the greatest the thing in the world. I'm sure we could have solved world hunger or even possible space colonization to confront the world overpopulation problem. However, you can see we obviously would rather combat each other than commit our time to this. Thus, once again, is just human nature.

As far as I'm concerned, the "sun god and thunder god" era is over. We advanced our culture to realize that some occurrences are obviously scientifically proven. I still believe in God and always will believe in God. Just because you can't see Him or prove His existence, doesn't mean he doesn't. :wink:

Forgive me if anything insulted you and remember that
cdferg wrote:Whether you believe in God or not, He believes in you.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Honestly, I find that a very narrow-minded concept and quite harsh. I actually seem to see science as a poison. People will manipulate science for their own gain rather than the gain of mankind. The constant advancement of weapons is a good example since mankind is "chasing its own tail" to constantly outdo itself and become the greatest the thing in the world. I'm sure we could have solved world hunger or even possible space colonization to confront the world overpopulation problem. However, you can see we obviously would rather combat each other than commit our time to this. Thus, once again, is just human nature.
You are losing track of what is the reason and what is the means. Desosus will easily render the point you make here moot by pointing out that the need for advancements in weaponry stem from religious conflicts. Disagreement over scientific issues have never resulted in armed conflict.

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Sanjar Khan wrote:
You are losing track of what is the reason and what is the means. Desosus will easily render the point you make here moot by pointing out that the need for advancements in weaponry stem from religious conflicts. Disagreement over scientific issues have never resulted in armed conflict.
Point taken. As to keep this from going on forever and forever, I'm deciding to step down from this debate :wink:

Besides, considering I'm a college student, and she's a scientist, I'm sure there are points against both topics, she's just much better at finding them. As well as having a much better background in her field :happyskeleton:
Last edited by KingCrab on November 11th, 2011, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

KingCrab wrote: My morals are based upon a lot of the teachings of the Bible. So in essence, the very basis of where my morals originated come from the Bible.

Also, to reply to the statement about common sense, isn't it really a "Duh" conclusion that you shouldn't kill or perform any extremity of a task that would go against what we as a society has deemed as immoral.
So the bit about not murdering is common sense so you don't get that from the bible. How about slavery which the bible doesn't condemn? Or the treatment of women? Do you follow the bible in regards to those or do you follow common sense.

If you are following the bible for some things because they're right and not following other parts, you're clearly deriving your morals from a source other than the bible.

KingCrab wrote: If science can prove everything, then I want you to show me proven facts right now of why humans are on this earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

KingCrab wrote:I want you to tell me the exact date of the end of the human race. Tell me when why life will end.
Why don't you answer those questions based on religion? Can you provide any reasoning why it should be believed? Can you account for the uncountable number of so called "end of the world" prophecies that haven't come true? Were they just following the wrong pamphlet? What makes any one prediction like that better than any other?

If scientists were to find that the universe was deterministic and could build a large enough machine of some kind to calculate it, they would be able to tell you exactly when that would happen.

KingCrab wrote:Explain to me the odds of flipping tails or heads on a coin.
Due to the laws of physics, when a coin is flipped, it will usually either fall heads or tails. The statistical probability of it landing on either heads or tails is roughly 50:50.
KingCrab wrote:There is a problem with science in the sense that their are many things that can not be tested nor proven with data. Not once did I mention religion as being a supplement to fill those gaps of missing concepts that can't be explained.
Wrong. You're making a presumption there that just because something cannot be tested at the moment means that we will never be able to.
KingCrab wrote:It's also hypocritical and a logical fallacy to disprove something just because you can't see it there isn't any proof to prove of it.
I own an invisible albino midget elephant that shits gold.

This is one area in which religion excels. Normally, if you claim something, you show proof. If you claim to own a ferrari, people will ask to see it.

If you ask a person to demontrate that their god exists, they'll immediately tell you to prove that it doesn't exist.

Just because you can't prove something is there, does it mean it doesn't exist? Of course not, whether you believe something or not makes not the slightest bit of difference whether it does exist or not. But that axe swings both ways.
KingCrab wrote:Science in some areas along with religion are merely theories. They are concepts that are generally accepted among society.
No, they're not. Scientific theories are held to an extremely high standard. For something to be accepted by the scientific community as correct, it must be backed up by numerous observations and by experimentation.

The lay definition of theory and the scientific definition of theory are 2 COMPLETELY different things.

KingCrab wrote:Honestly, I find that a very narrow-minded concept and quite harsh. I actually seem to see science as a poison. People will manipulate science for their own gain rather than the gain of mankind. The constant advancement of weapons is a good example since mankind is "chasing its own tail" to constantly outdo itself and become the greatest the thing in the world. I'm sure we could have solved world hunger or even possible space colonization to confront the world overpopulation problem. However, you can see we obviously would rather combat each other than commit our time to this. Thus, once again, is just human nature.
Yeah, because that's all science does. It doesn't create medicine, it doesn't double the average human lifespan in the space of 100 years. You're talking about the influence of people on science. I'm talking about the influence of religion on people. People can be good or people can be bad. Religion can be good or religion can be bad. Science doesn't have motives.

You're stating that science is bad but you're making the argument of "religion vs people" rather than "religion vs science".

I actually disagree with Sanjar in that I don't think that religious conflicts are the ONLY source for more advanced weapons. Greed can certainly take some credit for that. But like I said, you're only saying that some people are good and some people are bad. You're not making an argument against science itself.

The proliferation of weapons is simply an extension of the concept of the evolutionary arms race. As you rightly said, it's simply human nature. That however is not a mark against science itself.

Without science, yeah, I suppose we wouldn't have nuclear weapons. Then again, without the divisive nature of religious ideologies, perhaps they wouldn't have been needed at all. Do you think there would have been more deaths or less deaths in the world throughout history if religion had never existed? And if you really want to get into the counting game, I suppose we should count the number of people that science has saved through advanced medicine.

"Good men do good things while evil men do evil things. But to make a good man do evil things, it takes religion."

KingCrab wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the "sun god and thunder god" era is over. We advanced our culture to realize that some occurrences are obviously scientifically proven. I still believe in God and always will believe in God. Just because you can't see Him or prove His existence, doesn't mean he doesn't.
Just because you believe in an imaginary friend in the sky doesn't make him real. What makes your god any more real than those?

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

You could be thankful for the scientific institutions religion provided for you Desosus.

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Desosus wrote: Just because you believe in an imaginary friend in the sky doesn't make him real. What makes your god any more real than those?
Faith, the same thing that causes you to believe that science will one day solve every problem and defend it as you have.

Religion was created and is practiced by humans. Science advancements are conducted and tests are done by humans. Aren't they both influenced by the human race? Neither would exist without humans.

So I have one last question for you if every question can be answered by science.
Where do babies come from? :P

Trepvalkyrie

Post by Trepvalkyrie »

You do realize that the Bible is not to be taken literally?
That is just the most annoying thing there is to say about any ancient/supposedly holy text, which bits do we take literally, which bits should we not.

Either take it literally or don't, in which case you don't need it because you seem to be able to decide for yourself how you should live, what's good and what's bad.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Is it? Isn't it nice to have some form of assurance that what you are doing is correct? By using the bible as a means to fall back on you not only assure yourself of the approval of god, but more importantly from everyone else who follows it. Which is the point.

Trepvalkyrie

Post by Trepvalkyrie »

Is it? Isn't it nice to have some form of assurance that what you are doing is correct? By using the bible as a means to fall back on you not only assure yourself of the approval of god, but more importantly from everyone else who follows it. Which is the point.
My morals consist of:

Although I am told that saying Skyrim is crap and nobody should play it until mods come out defies this :D

Oh and this:
However I would like to point out that there are things in this world that can not be explained with mere science. The human is restricted in its capability to gain access and understand this knowledge though.
Bullcrap.

All that means is that we don't know how this or that works... yet.
Whatever is yet unexplained by science, will be explained by science. It is just a matter of time, and that is what is so awesome about everything. More stuff to discover = more awesomeness to come. The human has only one restriction, and that is time. It sucks, but eventually for the human race, it will run out and everything will suck again.

Just a few thousand/millions of years until that warp drive. Then shit will go down between us and aliens. As long as we aren't wiped out by some random event (back on topic), I firmly "believe" (hehe pun), that many many many years in the future (quite possibly billions), if we are still around, we will travel faster than light... WITH SCIENCE!

...and it will be awesome.

EDIT (AGAIN): As I read through the posts it makes me angry aswell.
If science can prove everything, then I want you to show me proven facts right now of why humans are on this earth. I want you to tell me the exact date of the end of the human race. Tell me when why life will end. Explain to me the odds of flipping tails or heads on a coin. There is a problem with science in the sense that their are many things that can not be tested nor proven with data. Not once did I mention religion as being a supplement to fill those gaps of missing concepts that can't be explained.
1.) There is no reason why we are here, why would there be? It happened because of chance, some physics and some more random shit. Why would anyone need a reason for everything. Anyway, ah crap i started to type stuff to say about how this and that, but it leads to more and more, I can't be arsed. It suffices to say that there is not an answer to that question... because there is no reason.... but you asked the question... if you get that.
2.) Um, no one can see the future, but when time travel is possible (hopefully it works both ways) I will tell you. Seriously time travel may exist in the future, it may not, but how are we supposed to predict that? If we see an asteroid the size of mars, I could tell you when we will all die, if it's the size of australia, maybe we could survive... unlikely but maybe, so I couldn't tell you. I can't tell you right now because that IS an impossible question as we have no data at all on this and so can't do ANYTHING. It's like asking me to say when i'm next gonna take a dump, I could hold it for 1 more second and ruin the prediction blah blah blah. Time travel i'm afraid is probably the only answer to this unless we see it coming.
3.) There is no reason for why life ends, a philosophical one definately no, but maybe we'll be killed by aliens, (again totally possible), but i'm not sure if thats what you mean.
4.) About the coin, many many factors will apply here but i'm sure it can be mathematically worked out, but it would be a total pain in the ass and i'm not sure if we have equipment that precise to measure the stuff needed for it yet to get an EXACT value, and at that small scale, every coin is very different. I do not know what the definition of a perfect coin is... it all gets complicated, maybe just one specific coin i don't know.

Any more silly questions you want to ask, so I can give the answer?

EDIT AGAIN: JEEZ (EPIC PUN) I should have read all this earlier and saw that deosus has already done this lol.

MOAR EDITS:
Faith, the same thing that causes you to believe that science will one day solve every problem and defend it as you have.
It's not the same.

You say that you have faith that something exists that which you have no proof of, and will defend it unquestioningly, (I damn well hope that's a word). We are not saying that science will solve EVERY problem, as it would take an extreemely long time to do so, 10s of billions of years at the least, but of course, everything can EVENTUALLY be solved with enough time, but I will not defend science blindly, many theories have been disproven, with another, and sometimes no new theories have replaced those that were disproven. I have "faith" or a certain kind of "faith" that science will discover many things. Almost certainly not EVERYTHING, and I am also willing to change my "faith" when new, reproducible theories come along. Also asking whether ot not we can say: "blow up the universe" is not a very good thing to prove. Maybe we could just prove it's impossible.

I knew i would do a shit job of explaining it.
Just know that it's not the same.

:oops: I dunno what i'm talking about now. Too many things arrive in my head while writing it's too annoying to keep editing it. It's difficult to word it correctly without contradicing yourself easily. GARAHAGHAGHGH RELIGION DEBATES MAKE ME :evil: :creeper: :roll: :lol: :rage: :( :x
Last edited by Trepvalkyrie on November 11th, 2011, 8:16 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

You can say what you want, but in the end every man seeks a little approval from his peers every now and then.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

KingCrab wrote: Faith, the same thing that causes you to believe that science will one day solve every problem and defend it as you have.
I never said that.
KingCrab wrote:Religion was created and is practiced by humans. Science advancements are conducted and tests are done by humans. Aren't they both influenced by the human race? Neither would exist without humans.
In science, we have evidence for the things we believe. We determine whether something is true by finding empirical evidence, we don't just take it on faith that something is true.

Science adjusts its views based on observation, religion is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Science adjusts its views based on observation, religion is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.
You make it sound as though that is it's purpose.

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Trepvalkyrie wrote: 1.) There is no reason why we are here, why would there be? It happened because of chance, some physics and some more random shit. Why would anyone need a reason for everything. Anyway, ah crap i started to type stuff to say about how this and that, but it leads to more and more, I can't be arsed. It suffices to say that there is not an answer to that question... because there is no reason.... but you asked the question... if you get that.
2.) Um, no one can see the future, but when time travel is possible (hopefully it works both ways) I will tell you. Seriously time travel may exist in the future, it may not, but how are we supposed to predict that? If we see an asteroid the size of mars, I could tell you when we will all die, if it's the size of australia, maybe we could survive... unlikely but maybe, so I couldn't tell you. I can't tell you right now because that IS an impossible question as we have no data at all on this and so can't do ANYTHING. It's like asking me to say when i'm next gonna take a dump, I could hold it for 1 more second and ruin the prediction blah blah blah. Time travel i'm afraid is probably the only answer to this unless we see it coming.
3.) There is no reason for why life ends, a philosophical one definately no, but maybe we'll be killed by aliens, (again totally possible), but i'm not sure if thats what you mean.
4.) About the coin, many many factors will apply here but i'm sure it can be mathematically worked out, but it would be a total pain in the ass and i'm not sure if we have equipment that precise to measure the stuff needed for it yet to get an EXACT value, and at that small scale, every coin is very different. I do not know what the definition of a perfect coin is... it all gets complicated.

Any more silly questions you want to ask, so I can give the answer?
1.)what...lol
2.) That was actually my point. Science can't find a solution to everything because there will never BE consistent data for certain aspects. (Time travel is also a ridiculous notion. However I do find the instances of Deja vu to be quite intriguing :P)
3)......not sure what this is getting at really
4) What I was getting it was you basically can only predict what would be probable to happen. If I gave you a coin to flip throughout the day for a week and you tallied the results at the end of the day of how many times it was heads, and how many times it was tails, I highly doubt they would be exactly 50-50. Though I can how this would be due to different factors among the environment and may be possible to compute with ridiculous mathematics.

Im not going to lie, I'm not sure as to really what the point you're trying to make is. I got some of it but not all of it.

Can you either clarify or provide me with less silly statements? :P
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Desosus wrote:I never said that.
Desosus wrote:The statement of "science can't explain everything" is wrong. Science has not yetexplained everything.
This is implying to me that you believe it one day WILL explain everything, it just hasn't yet.

Trepvalkyrie

Post by Trepvalkyrie »

This is implying to me that you believe it one day WILL explain everything, it just hasn't yet.
I'm saying it WILL, given an extreemely long period of time, which we probably won't have. Tell me one reason why it shouldn't, other than time/resource constraints.
Time travel is also a ridiculous notion
Tell me why we shouldn't given enough time/resources. Saying that the "laws of physics won't allow it" is not good enough. Of course, time travel may be totally impossible. We just don't know yet. We've had such a short period of time in which technology has leapt forward so fast, we have no idea.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

KingCrab wrote:This is implying to me that you believe it one day WILL explain everything, it just hasn't yet.
Actually what I was trying to get at there is that just because science HASN'T explained everything doesn't mean that it never will be able to. It might and it might not. Nobody can predict that.

As I said before, just because science hasn't explained it, doesn't mean you get to fill in whatever you feel like.

This is more commonly referred to in the circles that I hang around in as the "argument from ignorance". Boils down to "Well you can't explain how X works, therefore god did it, therefore god exists.". Can you not see the ridiculousness of that?

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Desosus wrote:
This is more commonly referred to in the circles that I hang around in as the "argument from ignorance". Boils down to "Well you can't explain how X works, therefore god did it, therefore god exists.". Can you not see the ridiculousness of that?
Ok, that's a bit more clear. Quite frankly, I do see a ridiculousness if every time something unexplained happened that it's explained by religious values. I am not AT ALL hinting at this. I am saying there are some things I do believe that happen without a scientific reason though. Do I believe a religious view is in order? It all depends. I absolutely believe in miracles and that God does things in our life that we don't realize. Other times I realize that now we will try to seek out that event and recreate it and ask "Why?". Thus using the scientific/technological part of it.

Unfortunately as I said earlier, there are some people that will use religious backgrounds as an excuse or a scapegoat rather than facing the consequences themselves.

Trepvalkyrie wrote:Tell me why we shouldn't given enough time/resources. Saying that the "laws of physics won't allow it" is not good enough. Of course, time travel may be totally impossible. We just don't know yet. We've had such a short period of time in which technology has leapt forward so fast, we have no idea.
1.) Explain the absence of futuristic "tourists". You know the governments would abuse time travel (if it existed) to try and change events in history to their own liking.

2.) Because time isn't something tangible. Unlike using wormholes to possibly travel from one point to another point in the universe instantaneously, once an EXACT moment in time has happened, it happened. It no longer exists. Distance is a very real notion, time is not.

3.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology ... conjecture

Futuristic time travel is the only form of time travel that may in theory and sense be real or positive. So my previous statement is re-worded to say "Time travel to the past is impossible, why futuristic time travel is very(add 23 more of these) unlikely."