The Future of fCraft's Services

Discuss anything that doesn't fit other categories here.
Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Re: The Future of fCraft's Services

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Lets just stop complaining and having doubts altogether until there is actually something tangible to complain about.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

No people can have their doubts, but we're not moving anywhere with our current setup. So far there are no good arguments to stay with the setup besides players are comfortable with where they are right now. We just spent a lot of player donated money on a beastier server package and we plan to use it in a much better way.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

rwojy
Trustee

Post by rwojy »

Oh right, if you need us to start donating again just ask. A lot of us are willing to help pay for the servers and shit.
etc

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

We're comfortable right now, but any donation is naturally welcome.

Kittle
OP

Post by Kittle »

Ollie, first of all, this is great news. Very exciting.

You mentionned advertising the RPG server, but will the other servers be advertised too? Even if they can be griefed? I don't hold statistics or anything but it seems the SMP server was quite empty. As tnek asked, won't splitting it up in 4 different servers end up in 4 servers with 2-3 players on them? I can understand why you don't want servers to be griefed, however for all the griefers, there will also be good players who might become new staff. PVP servers are popular if PVP is actually happening. I've seen too many unpopular PVP servers ending up in a select few overpowered players flaunting their ego and killing/raiding any newcomers they saw. After all, classic had to become popular at some point for us to have this community. I'm sure you're aware of all this though.

Oh, and, seeing you mention donations, now that the commnunity will be much more focused on Minecraft and not MC Classic, will the donation advantages be now available on those servers? I could understand private worlds not being feasible, but colored names and such?

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

@ Donations: Yeah probably, but I don't have anything planned yet.

@Advertising: No not JUST RPG, but we might like to keep Tekkit under wraps for example and advertise the other 3. The idea is to ultimately bring people in so advertising is an unfortunate necessity. However, if we do advertise, I'd wanna do it right. Step one in this: Fully utilise fCraft's YouTube channel...

KingCrab

Post by KingCrab »

Ollieboy wrote: However, if we do advertise, I'd wanna do it right. Step one in this: Fully utilise fCraft's YouTube channel...
Give me a shout out if you need help with that
<+FCB1> 05+Pemalite: all the fcraft chicks reject me except element

13:04 + FCB2 │ +Pemalite: craaaaab
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: no
13:04 + FCB1 │ +Pemalite: ill give yout the best loving ou ever ad crab

aliknes
OP

Post by aliknes »

Darklight wrote:Away for a couple of months... and boom! Amazing stuff planned for fCraft.
Cannot wait to see all this come into fruition. It sounds incredible :)
Dark light i agree :)
im really excited for this new stuff i really do enjoy tekkit and am excited for the RPG sever.
its nice to have change once in a blue moon. if you need help on thr RPG sever just ask :) i will help out as much as i can.
+Hit_Girl: I wonder..
+Hit_Girl: if I can kick you
+Hit_Girl: I mean, kick, pyro
+PyroPyro: u cant
+PyroPyro: im pyro
+PyroPyro was kicked by +Hit_Girl: ORLY
Player +PyroPyro left the server.
Shintengin: lol
+Hit_Girl: o_o

Darklight
SupOP

Post by Darklight »

I was just thinking, if you need any help with setting up the rpg server (i.e building and stuff), I would like to offer a hand. Its been a while since I've taken on any decent projects in minecraft. Always loved the rpg elements of games.
But if not, thats cool too :)

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

With regards to the RPG server, SanjarKhan and I are more or less close to finish setting up the map in terms of biomes and landforms. The overall theme will be medieval naturally, with as much variation in landscape as Runescape (i.e. we have a desert, a snowy north, a jungle island). Soon we will begin thinking about architecture and whatnot, so perhaps next week or the week after we could get people interested to think about city styles.

Khan and I might give a list of features we require in a city and we can get some good builders to design things for us. Alternatively if design isn't your thing and you wish to help, there are all sorts of tedious jobs that will need to be done and made easier with many hands. These include road building, terraforming (things that we couldn't get done with our WorldPainter tool), per-city things that are needed (walls, houses etc.) and plenty of other things. We'll keep people who want to help posted. Be aware that we will not be PLAYING so much as we will be WORKING, so we need people who acknowledge that fact and will be willing to take direction instead of playing around and testing things.

Darklight
SupOP

Post by Darklight »

Sounds good! I should have finished the majority of my uni work by that time, so I'm pretty keen on helping out with whatevers needed.

Edit: Just had an idea. I dunno how well it would work or if it would work at all, or how much server resources it would take up. Theoretically, very few as all it *should* take is a faction plugin. The rest could be done by relying on the players.

Do we have any plans for a faction system for the rpg? Not a system where every single person can make their own faction, but for instance, just 2-3 predetermined factions that a specific quest-line can direct you to and that you can join after completing said quest-line?
Ideas:
- an enhanced pvp system for the server
- faction towns with market stalls, faction colours (a flag made out of wool) etc.
- a castle/town/fortress that could be contested in a war between the factions, with defending faction in the fortress, where the buildings and wall are zoned, the gate (made of wood) can be burnt down and walls could be tunneled under for surprise attacks. The gate and tunnels can be easily filled in by the players occupying the fortress after the war is over.
- extra rivalry between players
- enhanced quest-line

Just an idea, and ill add more points if i think of them :)

Intertoothh
Trustee

Post by Intertoothh »

Ollieboy wrote:With regards to the RPG server, SanjarKhan and I are more or less close to finish setting up the map in terms of biomes and landforms. The overall theme will be medieval naturally, with as much variation in landscape as Runescape (i.e. we have a desert, a snowy north, a jungle island). Soon we will begin thinking about architecture and whatnot, so perhaps next week or the week after we could get people interested to think about city styles.

Khan and I might give a list of features we require in a city and we can get some good builders to design things for us. Alternatively if design isn't your thing and you wish to help, there are all sorts of tedious jobs that will need to be done and made easier with many hands. These include road building, terraforming (things that we couldn't get done with our WorldPainter tool), per-city things that are needed (walls, houses etc.) and plenty of other things. We'll keep people who want to help posted. Be aware that we will not be PLAYING so much as we will be WORKING, so we need people who acknowledge that fact and will be willing to take direction instead of playing around and testing things.
Count me in for the 'many hands', not that super good at designing.
But i might take a shot at it. Soo roads/landscaping, 'boring repetable jobs' is my stuff :)
Ow, and they say i know a bit of redstone.
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

The story involves 5 factions, 3 political and 2 religious. However, joining them isn't really a thing. Quests are too hard to make non-linear at this stage. There is one set reward and one set of objectives at a time. There are optional objectives currently, but no path splits. For this reason, you are playing as a rogue adventurer.

The MMO element won't be as prevalent as personal development in skills and quests and shit. The goal is to tell a story that the players experience. In terms of non-story gameplay there is skill training, maybe some PvP or something, but it's not the focus. For this reason, it will not be invested in. Along the same response, the world will NOT BE EDITABLE by the regular player. I will require people to help build things, who will get creative and shit, and also help build storylines, but the regular player who gets on the server will only be able to interact with the world, not create or destroy it. I don't think RPG is going to be what you think it is.

Also, I'm not taking suggestions on the RPG server. Not until people have at least played what I have planned, because I have a lot planned.

And for future reference:
Darklight wrote:The rest could be done by relying on the players.
THIS NEVER FUCKING WORKS EVER

FreeBro
Trustee

Post by FreeBro »

Ollieboy wrote:With regards to the RPG server, SanjarKhan and I are more or less close to finish setting up the map in terms of biomes and landforms. The overall theme will be medieval naturally, with as much variation in landscape as Runescape (i.e. we have a desert, a snowy north, a jungle island). Soon we will begin thinking about architecture and whatnot, so perhaps next week or the week after we could get people interested to think about city styles.

I am also willing to help "design" and build stuff.
U just say what and how and i will do it.
ollieboy: everyone here is a shrimpy nerd, you can take us.

[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 I just swam across the entire ocean
[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 drowned
[23:13] <SMB> nuclearwaffle121 WELP

Xb0x4d4m
OP

Post by Xb0x4d4m »

freewill wrote:

I am also willing to help "design" and build stuff.
U just say what and how and i will do it.
I will also lend a hand if need be.
I will be willing to help with any Building and Redstone related stuff :)
If you ever need any help, I'm mostly on the fCraft IRC Channel.
<FCB2> lionboy98: xbox is ur brother ps3

Wundsalz
Trustee

Post by Wundsalz »

Ollieboy wrote:Khan and I might give a list of features we require in a city and we can get some good builders to design things for us.
Sounds like CMP contest material.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

hung_dong
OP

Post by hung_dong »

Very exciting

:cow:

burn22
OP

Post by burn22 »

count me in :3

gopher333

Post by gopher333 »

I'm pretty keen to help out with stuff. I have some ideas in my mind for city themes but not sure if they're possible... I can also do shitwork if need be.

DrAwZuMsAuCe

Post by DrAwZuMsAuCe »

So from what I understand the Tekkit Server is kinda like what SMP is now except its well...Tekkit and your are encouraged to work as a team, right?

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Exactly. Be sure to check out the first post from time to time for more detailed information as it becomes available and status updates.

hung_dong
OP

Post by hung_dong »

So I don't have premium minecraft, but I have been playing smp through another outlet, namely
ablockz.org hidden to avoid advertising
. Does anyone know if I enter the IP for fcraft's SMP server in that site, will I be able to play through it?

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

If that is what I think it is you will not be able to connect to fCraft or any other server for that matter, for the only way such alternatives can remain legal, a term which I use loosely here, is for them to only provide access to their own servers through their own client.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Or set the server to offline where players are not authenticated. A feature which fcraft will never implement, nor any other good servers.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Quick update:

Overall: Freebuild has been moved to our new powerful server! However, the other servers can't as they have much more dependencies on other programs, such as MySQL and the like. Forums were successfully tested on the new server and will be migrated shortly.

Tekkit is almost complete! The configuration is done, now an elaborate spawn is being built by rwojy and Xesdra to promote a bit of narrative. This will hopefully be complete soon and the server open to a select group of players to test things.

CMP is in beta testing, where we are opening the server to a select group of players and testing things. There are good reports so far and people are getting excited!

RPG has no news as I was busy with Tekkit and CMP in my limited spare time this week.

SMP <Hafnium insert stuff here>

Work on other servers has not begun yet as we are focusing on Minecraft migration first.

All in all, things are on track and going well! I hope everyone is as excited as we are.

Darklight
SupOP

Post by Darklight »

Sounds great Ollie. Can't wait!

Hafnium
Owner

Post by Hafnium »

Sometime soon we're going to start a beta for SMP. If everything goes well, we'll just wipe and go. If not, we'll adjust our formula and beta test again. Watch for a thread with details in the next few days.
The first law of thermodynamics states that you don't discuss thermodynamics.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Tekkit is live! It is stable and ready to go! Please be aware that it is still a little buggy and this week will be a beta test to find anything wrong, but this map will be permanent (until there are features that require an update). This can be found (if you are whitelisted) at mc.fcraft.net:3330

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

CMP is now stable and ready to play! Join at mc.fcraft.net:5550. Please know that your ranks will not have automatically transferred, and if is up to the staff to determine if you were polite enough in asking for a rank transfer should they decide to do so.

Within this server are several commands that are similar to fCraft, namely your first commands being /worlds and /join! Notice that there are much less worlds available to begin with. This is because full minecraft handles worlds very differently to fCraft, so just bear with us while we decide if we are stable enough to add another map (such as a themed nether map, or such).

In the guest world there are plots! Ensure that you read up on the PlotMe plugin documentation on bukkit, or simply use /help PlotMe in game.

valleycat14

Post by valleycat14 »

So the new servers are already out :skeleton: