1. Grab vanilla Minecraft 1.11.2
2. Launch it once. This will download the essential program files. After you get to the main menu, close it.
3. Download the latest Forge installer from files.minecraftforge.net
4. Run the Forge installer. You can uncheck "Mercurius" default mod, but keep other defaults. This will download a few more dependencies.
5. Launch Minecraft again, making sure to choose the "forge" profile. You should see "Powered by Forge" text in the bottom-right corner. After you get to the main menu, close Minecraft.
6. Grab some Forge mods! All you need to do is to download the mod's jar file to your mod folder. To find the mod folder, type
[/b] into Explorer's or any file-save dialog's address bar, and it will take you to the right place:
Code: Select all
I recommend the following Forge mods:
- OptiFine - Optimization mod. Doesn't change gameplay, but gives you smoother FPS and more control over graphics quality/performance. You'll find the new settings under the greatly-expanded "Video Options" in the Minecraft menu. https://optifine.net/downloads
- Light Level Overlay Reloaded - Allows you to see light levels in-game. Very handy for mob-proofing indoor areas, to avoid leaving a dark corner that keeps spawning creepers. Default keyboard shortcut is F4. https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projec ... y-reloaded
- Just Enough Items (JEI) - Shows a catalog of items and recipes in-game, so you don't have to keep googling it. The interactive catalog appears while you have your inventory open. https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projec ... -items-jei
1. Make sure that Forge is already installed.
2. Download LiteLoader installer from liteloader.com (you want "installer snapshot for 1.11.2")
3. Run LiteLoader installer, making sure to select your "Forge" profile under "extend from" setting. This step finishes very quickly:
4. Launch Minecraft again, this time selecting the new "LiteLoader with Forge" profile. Once you get to the main menu, close it.
5. Grab some LiteLoader mods! The liteloader have ".litemod" extension, and go into the same folder as Forge mods.
I recommend the following LiteLoader mods:
- VoxelMap - Provides a minimap in the corner of your screen. You won't need to alt-tab to check dynmap all the time, if you've got this in-game! https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/voxelmap (make sure to go to "Files" tab and choose to download the right version -- for Minecraft 1.11.2).
- TabbyChat - Organizes your chat into tabs. For example, mcMMO stat messages and announcements can be moved to another tab to avoid cluttering the main chat. Might require some customization to get it just right. https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/tabbychat-2 (also requires mnmutils mod to function properly -- just drop them both into the "mods" folder and it'll work)