Can Minecraft Change the Gaming Industry?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit other categories here.
Intertoothh
Trustee

Can Minecraft Change the Gaming Industry?

Post by Intertoothh »

"Is Minecraft really changing the gaming industry fundamentally? This author certainly thinks so, and even goes so far as to consider Minecraft's world manipulation a paradigm shift along the lines of 3D-gaming during the early '90s. 'Every block in the game is available to pick up and reallocate. We can tear down and build up. The neat thing is that future games does not need to be as liberal, but they will need to consider how they can make the environment a hell of a lot more manipulable. Now, this is quite a bit too simplified and the vast majority of games must not feature a shovel worthy of digging to the center of the earth, but giving the user power over everyday things (still in game worlds) will be a worthy challenge to consider.'"
Minecraft may give us power over everyday things in the real world, too.
http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/07/1 ... g-Industry
McLaughlinKid wrote:You put roar on everything don't you?

Hafnium
Owner

Re: Can Minecraft Change the Gaming Industry?

Post by Hafnium »

O_o

We've always had sandbox games. Sure, minecraft is a bit more sandboxy than others, but its primary addition to the genre is its first person pov. I think Minecraft's industry-changing force isn't its gameplay, but the fact that its indie, has low-quality graphics, yet is so popular. Maybe now the big studios can stop racing for graphics and make gameplay rich games? :P
The first law of thermodynamics states that you don't discuss thermodynamics.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Hafnium wrote:Maybe now the big studios can stop racing for graphics and make gameplay rich games? :P
But I just bought a new graphics card!! :rage:
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Aryeec

Post by Aryeec »

Ollieboy wrote:
Hafnium wrote:Maybe now the big studios can stop racing for graphics and make gameplay rich games? :P
But I just bought a new graphics card!! :rage:
:roll:

I think it hasn't (and won't) very much, unless it continues to get large updates and expansions after the "final" version is released. I do see it still being popular and playable in 10 years.