The World Ending?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit other categories here.
JustOnePanda
OP

The World Ending?

Post by JustOnePanda »

So does anyone actually believe that the world is going to end in 2012? I mean sure there have been false dates in the past, like in 1999, but apparently now there's "evidence" like the Mayan calendar and "warning signs in the Bible." Personally I don't believe it's gonna happen, a few of my friends actually do though. If anything does happen, I'd hope flying velociraptors take over the earth, because that shiz will be an awesome way for the world to end :happycreeper: .
"a person's dream are meant to be fulfilled not crushed and these words I am typing from the 3DS are from my heart"
-SSJGoten22

tylerthecreator5

Re: The World Ending?

Post by tylerthecreator5 »

My question is how would it end In fire or ice?
Lololol now you know i've wasted your time

Helio_
SupOP

Post by Helio_ »

I don't completely believe in it. There is a part of me that is unsure of it though. If it does though, then I hope I die quick and painless.
We do what we must, because we can.

Desosus
SupOP

Post by Desosus »

No.

/thread
_Snivy_: is desosus a bot?

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Some Mayan community said that the calendar doesn't say the world ends, they just ran out of stone. Not even the Mayans believe that crackpot stuff. The "proof" that all my friends present makes me laugh and wish the world DID end in 2012.
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

Maybe they ran out of space?
Bloody_Llama wrote:Portals are like flavored condoms: an interesting idea, but not something you ever actually want to use in practice.
0_o
Ollieboy wrote:The taste runs out really quickly, and then your just stuck sucking on a bit of rubber around a banana.

Smokeybacon
Trustee

Post by Smokeybacon »

No, and taking an ancient, half-deciphered calendar and an old tome that has been altered countless times by monks and bishops and reformers, does not constitute as "evidence". If you think it does, then go join the braindead morons who will be running round the streets in December '12.
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: my dad is an arkansas goveren
[02:27] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and iwe are suing skittles
[02:29] <+FCB2> MainTrain97: and we may file a lawsuit against fcraft

Darklight
SupOP

Post by Darklight »

Yeeeeah, like thats going to happen. They couldnt even predict the end of their own civilisation so I doubt even more that they predicted the worlds going to end.

JustOnePanda
OP

Post by JustOnePanda »

Smokeybacon wrote:No, and taking an ancient, half-deciphered calendar and an old tome that has been altered countless times by monks and bishops and reformers, does not constitute as "evidence". If you think it does, then go join the braindead morons who will be running round the streets in December '12.
That's what I was thinking, there's no way an ancient artifact like that could have lasted without being altered at some point in time. I mean I HIGHLY doubt the world will end or civilization will collapse, but the Catholic background I was raised in gives me a sense of at least SOMETHING, if not anything, will happen, like a new currency or a war or some other crap.

And when it doesn't end, I'm going to show my future kids the 2012 movie and tell them I survived that :D
"a person's dream are meant to be fulfilled not crushed and these words I am typing from the 3DS are from my heart"
-SSJGoten22

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

JustOnePanda wrote:
Smokeybacon wrote:No, and taking an ancient, half-deciphered calendar and an old tome that has been altered countless times by monks and bishops and reformers, does not constitute as "evidence". If you think it does, then go join the braindead morons who will be running round the streets in December '12.
That's what I was thinking, there's no way an ancient artifact like that could have lasted without being altered at some point in time. I mean I HIGHLY doubt the world will end or civilization will collapse, but the Catholic background I was raised in gives me a sense of at least SOMETHING, if not anything, will happen, like a new currency or a war or some other crap.

And when it doesn't end, I'm going to show my future kids the 2012 movie and tell them I survived that :D
Your catholic background gives you the sense that something will happen? What. The. Fuck.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

End of the world in 2012, government conspiracies, aliens landing on Earth, God, all fairy tales. :3
Your catholic background gives you the sense that something will happen? What. The. Fuck.
Why so surprised? Being raised in a religious environment sure can make people stupid. :-P
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

Sanjar Khan
Trustee

Post by Sanjar Khan »

Still, the leap from mayan prediction to catholic faith left me dumbfounded.
Ferrisbuler2: i will stay but i might not post cus of ollieboy

cdferg
Trustee

Post by cdferg »

Sanjar Khan wrote:Still, the leap from mayan prediction to catholic faith left me dumbfounded.
Me too. The bible does not specify when the end will come. It only says that the world will be in a period of destruction and despair (Matthew 24).

Panda, I don't think the Catholic faith should be telling you that something is going to happen on a certain date. But you are entitled to hunches, I guess...
doberman411: I now know that I feel a bit of relief every time the landing gear of my plane lifts off of the runway knowing that I'm one step closer to freedom.

Trepvalkyrie

Post by Trepvalkyrie »

How many times has the end been predicted? Thousands? Millions of times?
How many have come true? I'm still playing MC so I guess none have.
Hmmmmmmm I may be noticing a trend here :skeptical:

Of course the world could end at any time, we might never see it coming, there could be an asteroid, or a death star, or a giant creeper up there right now...
Not changed in any way.
Meanwhile in 2012:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs
:happycreeper:

Mad paint skillz I know.

Ollieboy
Trustee

Post by Ollieboy »

Sanjar Khan wrote:Still, the leap from mayan prediction to catholic faith left me dumbfounded.
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/878706-haro ... october-21
<TKB> Hit_Girl: zombies don't hurt
<TKB> Hit_Girl: weird.
<TKB> Hit_Girl was slain by Zombie

Kittle
OP

Post by Kittle »

The end of the world was supposed to happen not so long ago, actually. Funny how we're still here anyway. That's just one of the billions of other world ends during the history.

No, of course I don't believe it.

Smokeybacon
Trustee

Post by Smokeybacon »

The funny thing is that people have some idea that this world and the life on it is just somehow important, and that there must be some ancient prophecy that shapes the end of it according to some holy wrath or rapture.

The galaxy with its hundreds of billions of starts, and the universe with its hundreds of billions of galaxies will quite happily roll on whether or not we existed. Mankind and what we do and what we think and the planet we live on are so absurdly minutely inconceivably insignificant. If there is to be any 'end of the world', it would likely come from a huge environmental disaster after a meteor impact or solar flare... not some devil exodus from a demon planet or deity-induced biblical flood.

Lim-Dul
The Necromancer

Post by Lim-Dul »

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell

JustOnePanda
OP

Post by JustOnePanda »

Sanjar Khan wrote: Your catholic background gives you the sense that something will happen? What. The. Fuck.
WELL my parents tried to raise my strictly Catholic, but I parted ways from that lol, I mean religion does not affect my views on the world ending, its just some of my family do believe it is "God's divine plan." I mean i respect them, so I have to take in account of their views instead of straight up rejecting and ignoring them.

Still to think that the world is going to end is kind of silly, no one will ever know the true "end" until it happens, probably millions of years from now, when we've used up all the planet's resources. But by that time people should have advanced in technology to a point to colonize other planets, so is there really a definite "end?" :twisted:
-SSJGoten22

aliknes
OP

Post by aliknes »

Well I don't beleve it's going to end on that date eater. But in theory Nd movies they predict that they make a drug that makes dead tissue alive again u probly guessed it zombie apocalypse that my view on the end of the world.
Also the Nostradamus effect seems to add up but they sed his prediction may of been wrong he calculated the end of the world was going to be on 2012 but he also sed 2026 so idk.

These are my 2 opinions so I'm not realy believing it will end this soon
+Hit_Girl: I wonder..
+Hit_Girl: if I can kick you
+Hit_Girl: I mean, kick, pyro
+PyroPyro: u cant
+PyroPyro: im pyro
+PyroPyro was kicked by +Hit_Girl: ORLY
Player +PyroPyro left the server.
Shintengin: lol
+Hit_Girl: o_o

Trepvalkyrie

Post by Trepvalkyrie »

The galaxy with its hundreds of billions of starts, and the universe with its hundreds of billions of galaxies will quite happily roll on whether or not we existed. Mankind and what we do and what we think and the planet we live on are so absurdly minutely inconceivably insignificant.
This.

The likelyhood is that thousands of advanced civilizations have already come and gone, wiped out by some random event, never making a ripple in the universe. I really don't like this misplaced sense of "we are so special". Those other planets probably thought they were pretty special too, but they were probably wiped out like we could be in a blink of an eye. Or maybe one or two suffered a slow zombie apocalypse.

No one can prdedict the future, and it's mind numbingly stupid to try, or to listen to the lunatics who claim they can. I cannot put into words how stupid it is.

Cartoonman
SupOP

Post by Cartoonman »

If the end of the world happens on Dec. 2012, I'll pay yall a million dollars. fo cereal.

PS: see THIS for those that want a scientifically-based argument on why 2012 can't happen. cuz science is nevah wrong, right? :cobblestone:

btw:

News Flash - Galaxy To Collide with Earth!

Don't worry about planets or asteroids hitting us. The whole Andromeda galaxy is headed straight for the Milky Way, where we live, and nothing can stop it!

ETA: 3 billion years
Show
00:53 hafnium: cartoon you talk too much

markiled: i just want to hump the speakers

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

Cartoonman wrote:If the end of the world happens on Dec. 2012, I'll pay yall a million dollars. fo cereal.
Winwin! The million dollars will be obsolete! Good thinking sir
Bloody_Llama wrote:Portals are like flavored condoms: an interesting idea, but not something you ever actually want to use in practice.
0_o
Ollieboy wrote:The taste runs out really quickly, and then your just stuck sucking on a bit of rubber around a banana.

xN8Gx

Post by xN8Gx »

No, the world is not going to end in 2012. The Mayans were really deep into astrology, like figuring out when special cosmic events would take place in the universe. They had everything boiled down to celestial cycles which took hundreds, sometimes thousands of years to complete depending on the cycle in question. The most major one, a kind of planetary alignment, was what was predicted for 2012. Coupled with extreme doses of mass Christian paranoia, planetary alignment suddenly became apocalyptic. However, the Mayans also have another date marked down (I think its in the 30000 millennium, don't remember off the top of my head), which, incidentally, is supposed to be the same kind of cosmic event as what they predicted would happen in 2012. The world can't end twice. It can go to shit, but that's different.

What can happen twice (or a few times...wait several....okay hundreds...dammit all, thousands of times) is people trying to figure out when the world would end. For the most recent example, just look back in May 21st of this year; the radio reporter who claimed that the rapture would take place that day. Funny, I didn't realize I've been dead all this time (as a side note, he claims that his first prediction was off by 5 months, so on October 21st, he believes the world is truly going to end. So grab your helmet and shotgun).

If you want my opinion on when the world has it's best chance at ending, I'll go for 2150. That's the end of a constellation age, and shockingly the world does take this stuff pretty seriously. 2150 BC - 0 AD was the age of the ram, which is why a few of the older Jewish sects have or use a ram's horn. A lot of the Christian prophets believed that the world would change on 0 AD, which as most people could guess, was when Jesus would have been born (I'm not the biggest believer, I just know my shit). From 0 - 2150 AD is supposed to be the age of pisces (the two fish), which was actually the basis for one of his "miracles" (feeding the crowd of 5000 with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish). It seems that at the turn of every one of these ages, something unique happens. So that's when I believe something would happen, if anything should at all.
[12:43] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You are the sexiest chick ever.
[12:44] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You so sexy. I wanna touch and stroke your luscious beautifull hair like it was my own and hear you purr.

Smokeybacon
Trustee

Post by Smokeybacon »

xN8Gx wrote:words
If anything, basing an 'end of the world' date on the Zodiac is even worse than on religious texts. There is nothing magical or divine about the particular arrangement of a bunch of burning balls of hydrogen and helium relative to an observer on a tiny rock.

xN8Gx

Post by xN8Gx »

Smokeybacon wrote:If anything, basing an 'end of the world' date on the Zodiac is even worse than on religious texts. There is nothing magical or divine about the particular arrangement of a bunch of burning balls of hydrogen and helium relative to an observer on a tiny rock.
It's just my opinion dude....
[12:43] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You are the sexiest chick ever.
[12:44] <FCB1> +Pemalite: N8G. You so sexy. I wanna touch and stroke your luscious beautifull hair like it was my own and hear you purr.

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

And the religion debate kick starts again... JOY! (Yes, I know Smokey... "Generic Athiest remark")
0_o

Cartoonman
SupOP

Post by Cartoonman »

Cartoonman wrote: News Flash - Galaxy To Collide with Earth!

The whole Andromeda galaxy is headed straight for the Milky Way, where we live, and nothing can stop it!

what, noone's upset that the andromeda galaxy's gonna collide with us? It's a GALAXY, leik, it's as big as a.. galaxy! That's bigger than China! :admincrete:
Show
00:53 hafnium: cartoon you talk too much

markiled: i just want to hump the speakers

barrowboyjames

Post by barrowboyjames »

Cartoonman wrote:
Cartoonman wrote: News Flash - Galaxy To Collide with Earth!

The whole Andromeda galaxy is headed straight for the Milky Way, where we live, and nothing can stop it!

what, noone's upset that the andromeda galaxy's gonna collide with us? It's a GALAXY, leik, it's as big as a.. galaxy! That's bigger than China! :admincrete:
Not as populated though :lol: :lol:
0_o

Bloody_Llama
Trustee

Post by Bloody_Llama »

Cartoonman wrote: what, noone's upset that the andromeda galaxy's gonna collide with us? It's a GALAXY, leik, it's as big as a.. galaxy! That's bigger than China! :admincrete:
The Andromeda galaxy, like our own, is comprised almost entirely out of empty space. Even taking gravity into account, chances of our solar system being significantly affected by the "collision" are minimal.

Our sun will go red giant in about 5 million years though, which is a far more immediate concern. However, some very smart people have figured out already how we can strap rockets to asteroids and sling em by Earth to make it move away from the sun at the same rate that it expands, keeping us in the habitable zone. (I'll post a link if I'm un-lazy enough to find it)

As far as the Mayan calendar, the Mayans had a base 20 number system that basically required longer/more complex math the farther out a calendar is plotted. What this means is that it took so much time to make these calendars that the folks making them decided that 2012 was "good enough". There are numerous Mayan calendars that extend significantly past 2012 in fact.
<FCB2> trevbev94: who made the perimid out of saind cause that is ausom
<FCB2> Pemalite+: druffin. 'cmere big boy for some lovin'